Kitty Hawk molds?

alaninaustria

If they are repops, why are they presented as Kitty Hawk kits? And by whom? Received a Kingfisher from Super Hobby yesterday, and the box, instructions, decals and everything else are 100% identical to the presentation of that kit on e.g. Scalemates.

Maybe ZIMI Models bought the rights to the name..

The kits I have seen are identical to the Kitty Hawk releases except for one thing. The plastic is different. It is darker but still quite soft.

The Kingfisher kit took a lot of flak.  Knowing the few issues in advance my only hammer smasher was the engine.  But that was poor kit design.  The  “pick two” (3 stooges) goes out to the people that did the instructions.

I just bought a 3D printed engine for it.  Oh baby it is nice little jewel. My second kit may just get built.  Maybe an AM float for the Arizona based aircraft will show up. 

5 hours ago, Zola25 said:

Maybe ZIMI Models bought the rights to the name..

The kits I have seen are identical to the Kitty Hawk releases except for one thing. The plastic is different. It is darker but still quite soft.

Godt tip, tak! Good hint, thanks!

4 hours ago, Rick Griewski said:

The Kingfisher kit took a lot of flak.  Knowing the few issues in advance my only hammer smasher was the engine.  But that was poor kit design.  The  “pick two” (3 stooges) goes out to the people that did the instructions.

I just bought a 3D printed engine for it.  Oh baby it is nice little jewel. My second kit may just get built.  Maybe an AM float for the Arizona based aircraft will show up. 

Yes, I read up on the kit before buying it, and in some respects it looks like an overengineered nightmare, particularly the engine. But ever since taking up modelling again a couple of years ago, I‘ve always wanted one and it hasn’t been available through my usual sources until now, so I‘m very pleased to have secured one. Particularly as my vendor (Super Hobby in Poland) only now, a couple of days later, has no more in stock.

• 1 month later...

Maybe not the right topic for this question but... I just had a major shelf-of-doom malfunction that resulted in all the kits in the queue ending up on the floor in various states of disrepair. One of those is a Kitty Hawk OV-10D that heroically threw itself under the falling cabinet in order to save it compatriots. All seems to be repairable except for the canopy roof which is broken in two lengthwise. Being a clear part, I'd say its a total write off.

Does anybody know of a way to contact Zimi Models (or whomever) to get a replacement (can't really make any sense of their website) or, alternatively, does anybody here have a spare canopy roof (part GP3) you would  care to part with?

Thanks very much for any help.

In order to keep things more or less on topic, I fully agree with those who say that Kitty Hawk might have gotten a bit of undeserved flak. The Bronco kit was very nice to build.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure if these are new old stock or simply new stock, but Hannants and Kitlinx are advertising KH P-39's again.  So if this is on your wish list, take a look at these sites.

Cheer

Michael

I got the two kits "that got away", alas, the ones I missed out on earlier.

I bought the Mirage 2000 and the Texan T-6 from Modellbau-König (Modelbuildig King) in Germany.

They look EXACTLY as the KH boxes did, logo, colors, all is the same and now MBK have (or had....) almost the whole range!

I got what I wanted so I´m happy! :yahoo:

Stefan :beer:

On 3/14/2024 at 9:02 PM, Allan W said:

Maybe not the right topic for this question but... I just had a major shelf-of-doom malfunction that resulted in all the kits in the queue ending up on the floor in various states of disrepair. One of those is a Kitty Hawk OV-10D that heroically threw itself under the falling cabinet in order to save it compatriots. All seems to be repairable except for the canopy roof which is broken in two lengthwise. Being a clear part, I'd say its a total write off.

Does anybody know of a way to contact Zimi Models (or whomever) to get a replacement (can't really make any sense of their website) or, alternatively, does anybody here have a spare canopy roof (part GP3) you would  care to part with?

Thanks very much for any help.

In order to keep things more or less on topic, I fully agree with those who say that Kitty Hawk might have gotten a bit of undeserved flak. The Bronco kit was very nice to build.

I would recommend you contact spruebrothers and ask them.  They may be able to help.

4 hours ago, Phantom2 said:

I got the two kits "that got away", alas, the ones I missed out on earlier.

I bought the Mirage 2000 and the Texan T-6 from Modellbau-König (Modelbuildig King) in Germany.

They look EXACTLY as the KH boxes did, logo, colors, all is the same and now MBK have (or had....) almost the whole range!

I got what I wanted so I´m happy! :yahoo:

Stefan :beer:

I picked up 1 week ago a Kitty Hawk Mirage 2000C from MBK during the Euro Model Expo in Lingen, Germany. I asked the MBK employee when they expect new stock from Kitty Hawk. He told me 1 or 2 months depending on the route of the cargo ship. Via the Red Sea, one month and via the Cape the Good Hope, 2 months.

On 1/25/2024 at 11:54 AM, Rick Griewski said:

Where did you get the 3D printed engine for it (apologies for veering off-topic)