WNW SE5a

Greif8

2 hours ago, Greif8 said:

Hi Damian, on my next build log I will make sure to do an SBS when I paint the figure.

Sincerely,

Ernest 

That would be amazing and welcome, and a lot of people will follow along. No one will think for a second that you are a "know-it-all". That's the great thing about this website, people are very supportive and happy to learn from others who have a technique or method that gives great results. I've done one pilot figure so far, based on some experience painting wargaming figures I did sometime in the last century. Turned out not too badly, but I'm ready to learn to create something like you have above!

I don't think a separate tutorial on painting figures would be outside the scope of LSP.  I think well-painted figures beside a model bring it to life.

Looking forward to it.

Richard

2 hours ago, Shoggz said:

I agree with everything my namesake above says!

I think your figure painting is sublime and would love to hear at length how you do it..

Hi Richard, thank you for the compliment!  I will do a Step-By-Step on the next figure I paint to go with a build; very likely before the end of the year.  I'll break it into two parts, one will be a detailed explanation of how I paint a face with oils and in the other I will walk through the method I use to paint the rest of the figure when I use acrylics to do so.

Thank you again for the knid words.

Ernest 

1 hour ago, Gazzas said:

Ernest, hafta say that I love those figures.  The leather is really a knockout.  I'd really like to be able to emulate your success.  And figures don't bore me a bit.

Thank you Gary!  I will make sure to give a detailed description of the techniques I use to paint a figure when I so the SBS.  I think you will be surprised at how simple those techniques are, the trick of course is in applying them.  Like everything else connected with our hobby practice and experience are very important to the finished product.  It is equally important not to get discouraged if the first examples are not at the level you were expecting.  As I said above, I redid the faces because I did not like my first effort, and I have painted a LOT of faces with oils over the years.  Almost always with painting figures mistakes can be corrected by either making minor adjustments - or completely stripping of the paint and starting anew.  With your inate skill you will fairly quickly be producing high quality figures once you have a few simple techniques down if you stick with it a bit!

Ernest  

1 hour ago, MARU5137 said:

Ernest 

Firstly yoyr SE5a is looking spectacular.Awesome workmanship. 

:clap2:

I love your figures. They are exquisitely  finished and both look astonishing real.

The little things like the cigarette in between the fingers  the scarf et al is perfectly done.

The Leather looks SO real and very authentic  that one forgets its not real leather material. 

Outstanding  job.

:wow:

:bow:

and love to see the process of how you do figures too.

Thank you.

:thumbsup:

MARU5137 

Thank you for the compliments Maru.  As I told Gary, I will make sure to do an in-depth SBS the next time I paint a figure for an aircraft now that I know there is a fair amount of interest in my doing one.

Ernest

• 4 weeks later...

Back working on the SE-5a after completing my GB project and receiving the Archer Fine Transfer fabric stiching.  Not much to show yet, I have only added the fabric stiching to the fin and rudder.  The film shows up in the macros but it looks good at normal range.  I may lightly buff the edges before priming though.

Ernest

IMG_4973 IMG_4974

Fascinating stuff Ernest, figure painting skills and techniques always interest me, so you’ve got my vote! I too use oils but I like Alkyd oils which dry within 24 hours. The oils can be mixed with detail liquin as a medium to thin or produce a glaze effect, can be very subtle…..as you say, less is more! 

43 minutes ago, mozart said:

Fascinating stuff Ernest, figure painting skills and techniques always interest me, so you’ve got my vote! I too use oils but I like Alkyd oils which dry within 24 hours. The oils can be mixed with detail liquin as a medium to thin or produce a glaze effect, can be very subtle…..as you say, less is more! 

Thanks man!  I have never used alkyd oils but hear they work quite well; the shorter drying than traditional oils is a huge advantage.  That's one of the reasons I am moving to Abteilung 502 oils from W&N oils.  I have started a thread in Modelling FAQ section where I will be covering how I paint figures in some detail.  

Ernest

9 hours ago, jeroen_R90S said:

Nice work -I never realized there was stitchting on the fin as well!

Thank you Jeroen!  The stitching looks even better under primer and paint - see below!

Ernest