Chengdu F-7NI Nigerian Air Force

dutik

Hi there!

A close look at my stash revealed that I have stored a lot of kits for the African GB, with AM sets and decals ready:

Congo/Zaire Mirage-5 in two greens

Chengdu J-7 in Tanzania, Nigeria or Zimbabwe

L-39ZA Albatros in Algeria

Spanish HA-1112 Buchon in Peugeot blue

F-5E of an Ethiopian ace in Asia Minor camouflage (5 Mig-21s downed)

Egyptian Macchi MC.205 Veltro in desert camo

Mig-17 Mali

UN J-29B Tunnan (with masks, but without intake and exhaust correction sets until now)

SOD:

Egyptian Mig-19

A Texan in the Heart of Darkness (Biafra war)

Wish I had an Il-28 to build it in Nigerian colors...

I guess a Libyan Blinder would be somewhat off sizewise :D

After a lot of handwringing and watching for good omens I've finally got the clue that the Nigerian AF F-7NI is the best choice to enter this GB.

If you have no clue what a Chengdu F-7 is:

This is the Chinese line of the Mig-21. The latest batches (also our Nigerian one) are featuring a double delta wing that increases the agility of the venerable Mig-21 a lot. A real lot. Also equipped with recent electronics, both homegrewn and western systems, radar, fire control system, helmet mounted sight, RWR, altimeter and more, Martin Baker seats on demand as well as modern AA missles like the PL-9, which is a further development of the Israelian Python III missle.

Fact sheet:

- kit by Trumpeter, with cast landing gear legs and cast nose cone (as noseweight and of a really pointed shape!)

- decals by Zotz, Roundels of the World, Africa, long OOP, but provided by a LSP member (Thank you again very much!)

- photos of the real aircrafts from "Migs over Africa" by Tom Cooper, "Mig-21" by Yefim Gordon and the internet; also a nice shot of the desk from pinterest (two MFDs at center surrounded by conventional clocks)

- external fuel tank by HAD (just in case the kit parts are off)

- armament: Chinese PL-9 AAM or bombs or missle dispensers

- camouflaged sand, green, greenbrown over Russian light blue, glossy finish due to a factory provided clear cote

- the F-7NI were for years the fastest interceptors in that part of Africa, reaching Mach 2 with a pair of PL-9 AAMs, providing the air defense for Nigeria

- aircrafts were mostly used against Boko Haram in the ground support role, so I'll go with bombs and external fuel tanks

Remaining question:

- What type of ejection seat? Martin Baker (Mk10) or a Chinese one? Still have to check references here.

The Namibian Chengdu was a close competitor, with an odd camouflage of sand and a very bright green (some kind of neongreen, really odd color), but they feature an Air Force crest at the fuselage I am not able to replicate. So the Nigerian one with just roundels and fuselage numbers.

Regards

- dutik

Edited by dutik

9 hours ago, Phantom2 said:

Sounds great, do you have any pictures?

Stefan :beer:

Of course, but struggling with some technical problems here. My computer is too old now (still Windows 7) and needs a replacement now. Nevertheless, some images:

imgp5704unf63.jpg

Watch the price tag. Not a very popular subject, so it was a bargain indeed:

imgp5706nxemb.jpg

Southern African roundels:

imgp57089sf4c.jpg

imgp5707a8e7w.jpg

Just in case a set of roundels for Burkina Faso too from Aztec:

imgp570961icm.jpg

(the grey-green-brown Mig lower left)

Also own a set of Mali AF decals from Berna, not shown here.

HAD models Mig-21 parts:

imgp5710zifj0.jpg

Just in case. There is also a maintenance set somewhere, with an oil catch pan, intace and exhaust covers and so on.

Well, no Nigerian decals here, but some masks should do the trick for the roundels. This saves the decals for the Zairean Mirage and other birds.

Regards

- dutik

Lets have a look at the kit parts:

imgp5714xgcxb.jpg

Not a lot of parts, but well detailed. Following Trumpeters design philosophie this is a multipart fuselage for both single and double seat variants, with two cockpit tubs and different noses and burner cans. A number of weapons (PL-9 AAM, unguided missle pods, external fuel tanks for wings and centerline) are part of the deal too. Nice decals for the cockpit and the markings (not shown here). Very clear clear parts.

This should be an easy and straightforward build :speak_cool:

Regards

- dutik

On 9/7/2022 at 8:36 PM, Alain Gadbois said:

The Nigérian F-7s have a very cool camouflage!

You will find the resin fuel tank replacement to be much better than the kit parts.

Is there a wraparound windshield in the kit? The artwork seems to show a three part unit.

Last, you do get a lot of nice plastic for 15 Euros!

Alain

A second look (pulled the clear parts out of the bag) revealed a framed windshield... :mellow:

So I have to vacform my own replacement. We shall see.

Started cutting styrene. First things first: Building up the UC bays and the engine.

Cockpit will follow after a closer look at some photos to get it right.

Regards

- dutik