Mosquitos in the western desert?

45 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

There are color pictures of Mosquitos in Malta.

Hi Thierry,

I don’t doubt their presence, but don’t recall colour pics - can you point us in the right direction?

thanks

Nick

10 hours ago, wpierson said:

I've tried looking online with little result, so I'm hoping you guys can help.

Were Mosquitos ever based in the African/Med theaters in WWII? If so, did they wear the desert colors?

The SAAF operated Mosquito MK ii as PR aircraft in the Western Desert. If you are interested I can find the details for you.

Not desert colors. Standard Euro cammo although one was finished in an overall deep blue. ( not PRU)

Nick

2 hours ago, nmayhew said:

Hi Thierry,

I don’t doubt their presence, but don’t recall colour pics - can you point us in the right direction?

thanks

Nick

Here's one example: 

https://inchhighguy.wordpress.com/2021/09/08/de-havilland-dh-98-mosquito-color-photographs-part-i/

5 hours ago, MikeC said:

Likewise.  Certainly not the Western Desert.  The only Mossies in the MTO I can think of were PR variants in Italy.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Havilland_Mosquito_operational_history

№600 Sqn operated Mosquito NF.XIX's in Italy Jan-August 1945, but these were in regulation green & grey. 

Coffee and sand schemes were worn by Beaufighters in North Africa, principally by №46 Sqn, which is another reason we so badly need a Mk.VI (stuff the TF.X torbeau).

Tony 

• 1 year later...