Wingleader books, andybody tried them?

LSP_K2

Wingleader books (Richard Alexander) has a couple of interesting looking books out there, but I don't own any yet. Are they worth the bother?

I'm referring to the books specifically, not the magazines.

Thanks a bunch,

43 minutes ago, Mark P said:

Kevin:

I can tell you I have most of their books and I am satisfied with them. Which ones/series in particular interests you?

Mark Proulx

Photo Archive - Hurricane Mk I and the three volumes on BoB Bf 109Es.

Kevin:

I still stand by my statement having all these books in my reference library.

Needless to say, I have a penchant for the 109, three volume set. I find it a useful title to refer to. However, be aware the books are not as exhaustive as say, Japo, it is still good value for the money.

Mark Proulx

I should be receiving the late production Lancasters and Beaufighter volumes tomorrow, I was well impressed with the first Lancaster book.

Just an aside I got this last week, https://www.helion.co.uk/military-history-books/to-force-the-enemy-off-the-sea-the-story-of-the-rafs-north-coates-strike-wing.php?sid=82c3ae478fdde874d7b9fe72da3279a5

as North Coates is just a few miles up the coast from me and I have a Lodella Beaufighter So "why not"

Helion Publishing is worth a look at a vast amount of titles from all periods, some of them can be a bit academic but very interesting.

https://www.helion.co.uk/?sid=82c3ae478fdde874d7b9fe72da3279a5

Bob

11 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

Wingleader books (Richard Alexander) has a couple of interesting looking books out there, but I don't own any yet. Are they worth the bother?

I'm referring to the books specifically, not the magazines.

Thanks a bunch,

Richard has no stake in Wingleader but he wrote the book on the Lancaster.

All of the books are superb and you won't regret buying any of them. They are content-dense and well-researched. I like them a lot. 

HTH 

Radu 

The Wingleader Photo Archive No. 3 on the Hawker Hurricane Mk.1 was probably the most useful reference that I had when building my PCM Hurricane. It was so good that I have now got another four in the series. They are on my Birthday and Christmas wish lists as well to match up with kits in the stash.

Cheers

Dennis

They are the best reference books currently being produced in my view.

I have all of the photo archive type books and they are fantastic

they are a massive step up / better than the Valiant Wings books which waste nearly half their content on a combination of telling me what a quick search on Hannants’ website will provide, and builds of small scale kits that are pretty pointless 

I will be getting the new Lanc and Beau books for sure

I agree with nmayhew above about Valiant books. What I GREATLY dislike about them is that they quickly become obsolete as more products are released for that particular subject. So, what do they do to keep up? Publish a new book with all the new releases added (and perhaps SOME expanded text) further making my initial purchase a waste of money! I also find their color profiles to be OK at best...

My new Lanc (Late Version) and Nachtjagd books are likely mid-Atlantic for me at the moment...

So far, I am quite content with Wingleader, having passed up on only a few titles do to my lack of subject interest.

Mark Proulx

Edited by Mark P
Spelling

22 hours ago, Bob MDC said:

Helion Publishing is worth a look at a vast amount of titles from all periods, some of them can be a bit academic but very interesting.

https://www.helion.co.uk/?sid=82c3ae478fdde874d7b9fe72da3279a5

Bob

First off, thanks for all the input(s), fellas, I really appreciate that.

As regards Helion, I can generally get all I want from Casemate, as review copies, but the majority of the titles just don't interest me.