U-510 Late War Type IX C Monsun U-Boat

Uncarina

1 hour ago, Uncarina said:

Glad you like it. I’m reluctant to paint her!

Cheers,  Tom

I'm certainly not suggesting this is your case, but I've seen way too many models that were loaded with AM, and looking great, get totally wrecked by poor paint and/or crummy weathering.

3 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

I'm certainly not suggesting this is your case, but I've seen way too many models that were loaded with AM, and looking great, get totally wrecked by poor paint and/or crummy weathering.

3 hours ago, LSP_Ron said:

Paint!  it can be fixed

I agree with both of you! I actually have something special (at least for me) lined up for the painting and weathering.

Cheers,  Tom

"Kapitänleutnant Alfred Eick began his naval career in April 1937. Later he served for more than a year on the destroyer Hermann Beitzen, and he undertook 16 patrols in the first year of the war. In November 1940 he transferred to the U-boat force, where he accompanied U-176 on her first two patrols.

In May 1943 he became commander of U-510 and received the Knights Cross on 31st March 1944. After a successful patrol in Brazilian waters, U-510 left Lorient on her second patrol assigned as one of the Monsun boats. Eick operated for a few months in the Indian Ocean before heading back in January 1945 with a load of important goods (tin, quinine, etc.) on board. After being supplied with oil southeast of Madagascar by Krvkpt. Jürgen Oesten's U-861 (who was short of fuel herself), U-510 ran out of fuel in the North Atlantic, but managed to reach the U-boat base at St. Nazaire in France at the end of April 1945 (at that time the base was still in German hands)."

--Wikipedia, U-boat.Net

I can only imagine how U-510 reached St. Nazaire from the North Atlantic without fuel. Rowing?

Progress is a little more rapid now, and I am almost done building up the top of the fairwater:

eHrl2cJ.jpg

16b1pxA.jpg

Adding those wire rails to the interior was a bit insane!

zZwN4Zh.jpg

Next up is the periscope housing, UZO, and other fittings. And I'll finish up this post with this photo of the Monsun Gruppe in Japan:

i8o43b7.jpg

http://monsun-uboats.blogspot.com/

Cheers,  Tom

I can't get over the level of detail that you're putting into this thing. The clean up on the wooden deck is over the top in itself and then all of that photo etch. Fantastic progress and time put in that's all gonna pay off with the finished project. I'm really enjoying the back story on this U boat as well. 

3 hours ago, aircommando130 said:

Wow Tom! There's a ton of work there! Great job! 

Cheers...Ron

Thanks Ron! I really appreciate the encouragement.

3 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

I can't get over the level of detail that you're putting into this thing. The clean up on the wooden deck is over the top in itself and then all of that photo etch. Fantastic progress and time put in that's all gonna pay off with the finished project. I'm really enjoying the back story on this U boat as well. 

You are very kind! I guess it’s a crazy itch I have to scratch, but I really enjoy the focus. I’m also really glad you enjoy the background info. We all do our research because it brings the subject to life, just thought I’d share some of it.

Cheers,  Tom