1/32 Dragon Messerschmitt Bf110 D-3 7/ZG 26 3U + MR

monthebiff

7 hours ago, ade rowlands said:

I also vaguely remember some swearing and sanding regarding the fitting of the cowls when I built the C-7 version longer now ago than i care to admit. There was something with the oblong panel under the nose too. It required some careful fitting and gluing as it had a tendency to sink in to the fuselage and leave a step. Have just bought the D/E Nightfighter combination kit on eBay at a price that was too nice to pass, was looking for an E-2 Trop but the Nightfighter will scratch the 110 itch instead. 

Yes Ade, on my last 110 I had issues with that panel as well and the clear parts were super brittle as well.

Regards. Andy 

3 hours ago, Uncarina said:

Great subject Andy! After much probing around, I managed to find the tweak list I used years ago: https://www.hyperscale.com/2008/reviews/kits/dragon3203reviewbg_1.htm (scroll to the bottom of the page for the list).

Cheers,  Tom

Thank you for that Tom that will be very helpful. I build one of these a few years back and converted to a G-4 and found the Dragin instruction sheet a real puzzle in places.

Regards. Andy 

Received my AM parcel today for this build so now I can really concentrate on what I want to do cockpit wise.

20220310-202327.jpg

I ordered both Yahu and Quinta cockpit interior sets as wasn't sure which ne I preferred and here is a comparison, first Yahu

20220310-202712.jpg

And Quinta

20220310-202544.jpg

So I'm going to used the Quinta set as it's more 3D with much crisper details. Won't use every part but plenty of it.

Regards  Andy 

2 hours ago, monthebiff said:

Received my AM parcel today for this build so now I can really concentrate on what I want to do cockpit wise.

20220310-202327.jpg

I ordered both Yahu and Quinta cockpit interior sets as wasn't sure which ne I preferred and here is a comparison, first Yahu

20220310-202712.jpg

And Quinta

20220310-202544.jpg

So I'm going to used the Quinta set as it's more 3D with much crisper details. Won't use every part but plenty of it.

Regards  Andy 

Oooh, nice! That rabbit-hole of AM :lol: I definitely concur with those purchases!!!

Bit of a strange day, but a very productive days modelling even though I was supposed to be going to London for a gig today! So I tested +ve for covid this morning and Funnily enough nobody in the house wanted much to do with me:rolleyes: So I set up modelling camp upstairs in the office and had a very nice day building

20220312-175625.jpg

thought I'd give the G-4 an airng to help the motivation as well

20220312-175637.jpg

.a aged to get all of the basic cockpit assembled, any panels that will have the Quinta panels added cleaned up and ready as well. Need to delve in to the spares box as lost a handle a d also need a repair on one of the seat frame sides.

20220312-185642.jpg

All things being well I will turn my attention to the lower wings tomorrow.

Regards. Andy 

Didn't manage to much today but finished any bits and pieces from the cockpit in readiness for paint and then started looking at the 900litre drop tanks.

I have purchased the Profimodeller set to replace the kit parts which are just wrong but both have a few issue's to be honest. So a quick comparison of what I have it Dragon at the top and Profi at the bottom 

20220313-171633.jpg

The shape of the Profimodeller tank is very good and correctly depicts the panel lines of the tank which was actually made of wood. The Dragon tank as you can see is wrongly depicted in both shape being a little shorter and definitely fatter in size as well as incorrect surface detail possibly depicted as as a paper tank.

A close look at the way the Profimodeller tank has been cast shows a few issue's in itself 

20220313-171530.jpg

And when the casting plug is removed we end up with this

20220313-171553.jpg

Castings are pretty rough in places ad need to get the milliput out to build the nose up before sanding to shape. These castings are very heavy as well and I don't think the etched tank brackets will be adequate so I will use some brass stock for that.

Regards. Andy 

10 minutes ago, mozart said:

I’m surprised Profimodeller think that’s acceptable to be honest. 

You'd be surprised exactly what they think is acceptable, I reckon. A few years ago, when they were launching their duralumin manufacturer stamp decals for Luftwaffe aircraft, they promoted them with a photo from my Me 262 build using the competing MDC product, and without my permission. They changed it when I called them out on it, but they clearly thought it was 'acceptable'.

Kev

26 minutes ago, mozart said:

Hmmm, not a very tidy front end that Andy, certainly going to need some remedial work to sort that out. I’m surprised Profimodeller think that’s acceptable to be honest. 

You are not wrong there Max, they will need lots of work to get them to a suitable standard and quiet why they decided to cast the straps on the tank rather than add them to the etched sheet who knows :frantic:Thankfully the overall shape is very good otherwise they would be headed for the bin and a change in subject choice needed for the build so I will be concentrating on getting these in to suitable shape before going further and drilling holes in wing lower parts.

Regards. Andy