Hasegawa 1/32 P-51D Mustang

LSP_Kevin

42 minutes ago, dennismcc said:

Makes sense, I also swerve NMF finishes

Cheers

Den

I don't avoid them generally, but with this kit having raised panel lines and "olde worlde" surface detail, I felt a camouflaged finish would be more prudent!

Kev

5 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

I don't avoid them generally, but with this kit having raised panel lines and "olde worlde" surface detail, I felt a camouflaged finish would be more prudent!

Kev

very smart move Kev, can't wait to see the end result!!

19 minutes ago, Scale32 said:

Expo is in 2 weeks ya better get ya skates on....... only kidding!

Cheers Bevan 

For a while, I wasn't even sure I'd be going at all. Pretty much decided to make an appearance now, but I won't be bringing any models - least of all this one!

Kev

35 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

For a while, I wasn't even sure I'd be going at all. Pretty much decided to make an appearance now, but I won't be bringing any models - least of all this one!

Kev

Fair enough mate. I always put one or two in and get free entry for the whole weekend but then again I only live 25 minutes down the road it's a little too convenient. Same as my local hobby shop I could walk there if I wasn't so lazy.....

Cheers Bevan 

33 minutes ago, Scale32 said:

I always put one or two in and get free entry for the whole weekend [...]

Actually, I'd forgotten about that! Maybe I'll just pop the Snowspeeder in for fun and cop the free entry. Probably won't be there all weekend, but a couple of trips seems likely.

Kev

I think I can finally declare the prop a done deal, aside from any weathering I might do:

wMUfkt.jpg

The carrier film on the stencil decals is barely noticeable now, though not gone completely. Certainly good enough for gubment work. I'm still undecided on the extent of weathering I'll perform on this build, but I'm leaning towards heavy - just for the practise as much as anything else - and that might help disappear the decal film completely.

I've also touched up the nose chequers, and given them another gloss coat. I couldn't resist posing it with the prop in place:

uWSbXD.jpg

I'm currently in the middle of trying to deal with the vac windscreen. I managed to slip the razor saw into one of the frames, but luckily not the clear area. There's still a nasty scar there, however, and these are difficult to fix on this kind of clear plastic. I'll have to mask it up and paint at least the frame in question before I'll know if it's usable. If not, I'll fall back to the kit windscreen, and use the vac sliding hood. Details in the next update!

Kev

On 6/7/2022 at 11:30 PM, dennismcc said:

Looking good Kev

Cheers

Den

Thanks, Den. Still slow-going with this one, but I thought I'd snap a quick photo of the vac windscreen dry-fitted to the fuselage:

B5zsxw.jpg

Fit looks OK. The white vertical line that looks like a highlight is actually where I slipped with the blade cutting it out. I need to see the frame under a coat of paint before I decide if it'll pass muster, which means masking it up first. The frame lines are so light that they're quite difficult to see, and without any pre-cut masks, doing it manually is going to be quite a challenge! That alone is a point in favour of using the kit part, but we'll see how it goes.

Kev

7 hours ago, dennismcc said:

Now that looks  good fit, I should imagine that the scratch will be fine, if not a touch of Mr Surfacer should fix it.

Which vac is it from.

Cheers

Den

It's the Squadron set, Den - made by Falcon in NZ I believe. Whether or not I end up using the windscreen, I'll definitely be using the sliding section (unless I really botch it).

Kev

11 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

It's the Squadron set, Den - made by Falcon in NZ I believe. Whether or not I end up using the windscreen, I'll definitely be using the sliding section (unless I really botch it).

Kev

Thanks Kev, I have lots of Squadron vac canopies but not a P51D version so wondered where it was from, they are not my favourite thing but with care, a new #11 blade and filled with Blu Tac they can be made to work..

Cheers

Den

• 1 month later...