Full scale P-51D in original markings for sale ($4.5M)

This lovely aircraft is for sale for $4.5M. The article contains useful images for reference as it appears to reflect very few modifications beyond a few in the cockpit to make it airworthy in the late 1970s.

https://silodrome.com/unrestored-p-51d-mustang/

Edited by Phil Smith

• Phil Smith changed the title to Full scale P-51D in original markings for sale ($4.5M)

I can't remember the man's name at this time - but it was purchased a couple years ago and I understand it's getting a complete restoration by Midwest Aero Restorations in Danville, IL. who has turned out some beautiful Mustangs restorations over the years that are currently flying on the warbird circuit now such as "Happy Jack's Go Buggy", "Cripe's A Mighty", "Frances Dell", "Was That Too Fast", "Daddy's Girl" and several others... Mike and his crew do awesome work and there is no doubt that this bird will also be a real stunner when it's done... 

Mike

10 minutes ago, James Rademaker said:

Just think right feet WW II you could pick up a flyable Mustang for under $1,000.00, amazing.

Jim

Actually for less than that.  Hollywood stunt fliers Frank Tallman and Paul Mantz bought an entire airfield filled with war surplus  aircraft of all types for next to nothing.  They drained from all the airplanes and sold it and then when Korea cranked up, they sold the gunsights out of the fighters back to the government for more than their original investment.  A few years ago, I was chatting with a friend and his wife at their little backyard strip and they told me that just after the war, my friend and two other guys scraped together something like $500 (it might even have been less) in hopes of getting a surplus T-6 at auction.  Well, their bid was accepted except that the lot they won was three airplanes, not one.  So they ended up with an airplane each for a couple of hundred bucks.  They had to buy gas and oil to get home, but that same day he and his wife climbed into their new T-6 and flew it home from somewhere in the Carolinas, I think.  I mean, if somebody can buy the Kitty Hawk or some other decommissioned carrier for less than a dollar these days, why not a flyable T-6 or even a tired Mustang for a couple of hundred back in the day?