Weird question about Volks 1/32 Shinden

ninjrk

This is an odd one but for anyone who has built it, can you build it without installing the engine?  I want to steal the engine for an A7 Reppu scratchbuild but I'd rather not find out that now then donor kit can't be built.  Would anyone know the answer?

Yes, You can build that kit without the engine installed.

Take a look at this picture;

IMG_8104

It´s the last part, the axle and the cooling fan where you mount the prop that´s important.

I guess you could leave the rest out.

There´s some see-trough from below as a part of the wheel wells are directly below.

IMG_8235

IMG_8231

Cheers!

Stefan :D

Edited by Phantom2

3 minutes ago, Kagemusha said:

You can buy the sprues, or as ZM call them, runners, so that's an option.

Well, just to be painfully pedantic, "runner" is the actual correct name for the "frame-like thing that holds the parts". The "sprue" is only the central item (sometimes button-like) in the middle of the runner that the plastic is injected through. I know that a lot of people refer to "sprues" all over the internet and in print, for years people have been talking about "stretched sprue" and there is even a podcast called "sprue cutters' something", but the actual "sprue" is only a small  part of the runner. 

https://www.plasticmoulds.net/spruesrunners-and-gates-of-plastic-mold.html

Radu

16 hours ago, Radub said:

Well, just to be painfully pedantic, "runner" is the actual correct name for the "frame-like thing that holds the parts". The "sprue" is only the central item (sometimes button-like) in the middle of the runner that the plastic is injected through. I know that a lot of people refer to "sprues" all over the internet and in print, for years people have been talking about "stretched sprue" and there is even a podcast called "sprue cutters' something", but the actual "sprue" is only a small  part of the runner. 

https://www.plasticmoulds.net/spruesrunners-and-gates-of-plastic-mold.html

Radu

But “stretched runner” and “Runner Brothers” hardly trips lightly from the tongue, does it?

Just now, Oldbaldguy said:

But “stretched runner” and “Runner Brothers” hardly trips lightly from the tongue, does it?

Yup, indeed! :D

Because every runner has a sprue, referring to the whole thing as a "sprue" is a bit like when people refer to their car as "my wheels" or "my motor". 

Radu

16 hours ago, Jeff T said:

Ive noticed some modellers on the forums call them "Spruce's", which I always found strange.

Jeff.

That's what autospell does to sprues. It doesn't recognise it as a word.

But, on spruce, I always used to call the moulding in its entirety a "tree". Don't know where I got that from, but I note that Eduard calls its boxes of just parts "overtrees". 

Quite fancy the jet Shinden. Did it ever fly?  Edit: just the prop version according to Wiki. 

Tony 

Edited by Tony T
It never was built or flew. 1946 IJ fantasy plane.