JetMads 1/32 FH-1 Phantom

frank83

3 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

I don't know if I would say "waste of plastic" (or resin) because it seems some out there like this, but its going to be a waste on me for sure. I'm definitely going to have to take a hard pass on this one. Not my bag in the least, but I wish them luck with it.......

Just don't get too esoteric with the releases gents, I don't want to see JetMads go the way of WnW. I'm not saying their release schedule had anything to do with it, its just that when a company starts putting out releases that are less and less popular, with less and less examples seen IRL, things seem to start going the wrong direction. I do not want that to happen to JetMads, and I'm not saying this release will do that,  I'm just looking at recent times. I also realize JetMads is esoteric a bit to begin with, as they only have to fill 500 of each apparently to make the figures work out. Either way, if this one is a success, then hopefully they can get to what seems like MUCH more popular subjects like the Draken. 

Well their first release sold out so I would have thought that would be a struggle to sell.

The Phantom I is arguably known a lot better than that, or even the Stiletto, so I think they'll be on fairly safe ground in comparison.

Personally, I'm up for one when they're available. 

1 hour ago, Royboy said:

Well their first release sold out so I would have thought that would be a struggle to sell.

The Phantom I is arguably known a lot better than that, or even the Stiletto, so I think they'll be on fairly safe ground in comparison.

Personally, I'm up for one when they're available. 

Either way, I hope it sells out because it could lead to much better subjects IMHO. It appears the X-3 may be out first if you are looking at the What's Next section, which is cool, as I think any of the un-done X-planes in 32nd would sell well. + I feel like the X-3 may be slightly less expensive, with the seemingly much less complicated airframe and potentially much less overall parts count. 

That was one of the kits I was excited to see in their future relese catalogue when they launched. FH-1 Phantom imho is one of the early jets with so beautiful lines, still influenced by WW2 US Navy aircraft design and in 1/32nd scale that is a model I strongly wish to add to my collection. I too hope it comes with an option to fold the wings.

Regarding the discussion of if they are going far esoteric or not... To me they seem to be well addressing the hearts of many modelers by creating some "impossible", "unimaginable" and "never" kits and it seems they are positively responded. 

20 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Either way, I hope it sells out because it could lead to much better subjects IMHO. It appears the X-3 may be out first if you are looking at the What's Next section, which is cool, as I think any of the un-done X-planes in 32nd would sell well. + I feel like the X-3 may be slightly less expensive, with the seemingly much less complicated airframe and potentially much less overall parts count. 

Perhaps we're not considering the 'collector' market enough in terms of possible sales here.

500 kits worldwide is very small and I suggest there are enough 'collectors' out there to make anything viable within reason.

I think we all know only a small proportion of most of their production will ever get completed.

We see it in the railways modelling world as well as the metal model car market too, the important thing is that they sell ALL of them regardless...right. 

21 minutes ago, Royboy said:

Perhaps we're not considering the 'collector' market enough in terms of possible sales here.

500 kits worldwide is very small and I suggest there are enough 'collectors' out there to make anything viable within reason.

I think we all know only a small proportion of most of their production will ever get completed.

We see it in the railways modelling world as well as the metal model car market too, the important thing is that they sell ALL of them regardless...right. 

Honestly I didn't really think of that aspect of it, but that is a good point. Its nearly the way all of the so called "massed produced" IM subjects of WnW went toward the end.

They (collecting and building) really are two wholly separate hobbies, and that collector aspect could very well push a lot of subjects over their mark VS if they had 100,000 IM copies put out. . 

I like the fact they intend to release exotic topics but as mainstream manufacturers release very few jets, dozens of desirable well-known topics are left over! I hope they will also consider them as they did for the Viggen. I'm very happy to have ordered the Learjet and will surely go on with the Stiletto and the Draken but it is useless to say I would prefer true war horses such as the Banshee, Voodoo, Jaguar, Harrier or Mirage F-1...

Not only the collectors but the traders as well! One of my friends, who in fact had made me aware of the brand's existence, had bought 3 of their Skystreaks. He sold one of them at 210 Euros last year and a second one 240 Euros two months ago. That is good investment! These kits are limited in numbers and there is no harm in investing some bucks for a rare item, either you are a builder or a collector. I had paid 240 $ for a 1/48 Collect-Aire T-39 Sabreliner on ebay three years ago and sold it for 420 almost one year later. This may sound weird to some but this is what happens with all rare things. I ordered two of the Viggens form the first run and one from the second. I am considering three copies of their every release no matter how esoteric or wanted a kit may be because they are producing kits that do not exist and maybe are unlikely to come ever.

On 12/8/2021 at 4:59 PM, thierry laurent said:

I like the fact they intend to release exotic topics but as mainstream manufacturers release very few jets, dozens of desirable well-known topics are left over! I hope they will also consider them as they did for the Viggen. I'm very happy to have ordered the Learjet and will surely go on with the Stiletto and the Draken but it is useless to say I would prefer true war horses such as the Banshee, Voodoo, Jaguar, Harrier or Mirage F-1...

It would seem to me that this team has it's eyes very firmly on both 'markets'. 

Maybe mix them up as to manufacturing perhaps one 'esoteric' to one 'mass' appeal subject so that one supports the other in sales terms.

I think any of those you've mentioned stand a good chance of appealing to them over time.

A nice series of Harriers would be nice to start with.   :rolleyes:  

I think there's clearly a decent market for pretty much every aircraft which saw carrier service in the US Navy. The really esoteric stuff would be the pre-WW2 carrier aircraft, not the post-war early jet era stuff.

Remember, this is a short-run resin producer. Esoteric is their wheelhouse, anything that isn't would be more likely to see a release from a larger producer. 

On 12/7/2021 at 4:12 AM, Steve C said:

Really surprised.  The Phantom is practically Luft 46.  They made 62 of them in total.  What a complete waste of plastic.

Tough crowd. I hadn't considered buying an FH-1 but this will be awesome. Can't wait and I hope they'll be able to deal with forgotten subjects and steer away from stuff that's been done in plastic already.

Edited by Sabrejet