Roden 1/32 Sopwith 1-1/2 Strutter and Avro 504 coming

KiwiZac

On 3/15/2023 at 2:56 AM, Phantom2 said:

I´m waiting for the Avro.....  :m0152:

You and me both!

9 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

...and a DH.6

Don't tease! Man oh man that would be nice, even in 1/48!

18 hours ago, europapete said:

I would have thought the DH6 would be a relatively straight foreward scrathbuild, being all square shapes.

For that one must build the confidence to attempt it - I have a paper 1/33 Avro kit which is probably a good primer!

2 minutes ago, phasephantomphixer said:

Ebay seller (in Poland) has it listed around $50 shipped to PNW USA - Just AFTER I ordered the CH-54 from them! :rofl:

I am a fan of combined shipping savings...

BTW, what if they had made it like their 1/48 kit (same box art) with clear cast wings for that see through look?

On 3/26/2023 at 11:56 AM, phasephantomphixer said:

BTW, what if they had made it like their 1/48 kit (same box art) with clear cast wings for that see through look?

Then I would not buy one as nearly all Sopwith 1/1/2 Strutters were painted on at least the top of the wings and fuselage, so the effect would be neglible and the painted/doped upper surfaces would block most of the light/shadow effects.

Not to mention clear plastic for main fuselage and wing parts is horrible to work with... ;)

• 1 month later...

I have made a review of this 1/32 scale Roden 1 1/2 Strutter kit #635.

The English review is published (including kit instructions) on the IPMS Nederland website.

Look here:  https://ipms.nl/artikelen/recensies/vliegtuigen-militair/sopwith-strutter-roden-32-english

strutter-_1.JPG 

Meindert

On 3/29/2023 at 11:28 AM, jeroen_R90S said:

Then I would not buy one as nearly all Sopwith 1/1/2 Strutters were painted on at least the top of the wings and fuselage, so the effect would be neglible and the painted/doped upper surfaces would block most of the light/shadow effects.

Not to mention clear plastic for main fuselage and wing parts is horrible to work with... ;)

You also have a wing without windows in the box.

Hi Thierry, yes, I saw that, but my quote was in reference to the mentioning of the original 1/48 kit which had all main components in clear plastic, presumably to have a clear doped linen see-through effect that simply does not work on a model where you need to glue and have seams and filler to deal with.

And if you do use it to have see-through clear center wing sections, you end up with thick and distorted center sections, so using acetate and and an open wing is IMHO a much better idea as apparently Roden have realized for the later 1/48 issues and now the 1/32 :)

https://modelingmadness.com/review/w1/cleaverstrutter.htm

https://modelingmadness.com/scott/w1/48strut2preview.htm

Jeroen

Edited by jeroen_R90S