HKM Lancaster - new special Grand Slam release

Jan_G

18 hours ago, Ossington 1 said:

Right Click, Save As. Thank You for that. I always wondered. Not as if streamlining just there mattered. Maybe to stop freezing?

As Mike says, probably to reduce turbulence, to reduce drag but also for a cleaner separation — nobody wants an 21,500lb bomb rattling in its shackles. 

I always wondered how these aircraft handled compared to regular Lancs — ditto the dambusting mines which probably had a gyroscopic effect when spinning.

Tony  

Confused :hmmm:

There is that Lancaster from WNW (or Border now) and this from HKM.

I am no expert on the Lanc, or any other WWII plane for that matter, but I want to build one in this scale. Could anyone with more information on this huge plane please advise which kit I should choose? And I'm not inquiring which is less expensive but which is a better kit with more satisfactory details.

Thanks in advance.

Notwithstanding the major price difference it depends on what you want. The Border kit is far better detailed but depicts a plain Lancaster bomber that went through multiple missions (stressed skin). However, for a Dambusters one, even if Border release one (as planned by WnW), I think the HKM is a better choice as such planes did not fly a lot before the attack on the Ruhr dams. And, as far as I know, WnW did not plan a Grand Slam version. So for that one, HKM is the only option as it is not that probable Border will release one. But who knows...?

Why is it the camo on these goes all the way to the bottom of the fuselage, and no black underneath, did they only drop these by day? .....probably an obvious answer I am missing, but just curious, because they look so much different from a normal Lancaster scheme.

Jeff.

10 hours ago, Jeff T said:

Why is it the camo on these goes all the way to the bottom of the fuselage, and no black underneath, did they only drop these by day? .....probably an obvious answer I am missing, but just curious, because they look so much different from a normal Lancaster scheme.

Jeff.

I’m not entirely sure but I think it has something to do with the fact that air supremacy had been won over the Continent by the time these aircraft were put to use and daylight bombing was so much easier when you can actually see the target through the bombsight.