Das Werk announced StuG III Aus.G early in 1/16

Jan_G

13 minutes ago, LSP_Mike said:

Keep in mind, uniforms were different, at least the blouses were.

Are you referring to any differences between Heer and SS panzer uniforms or between summer/winter?  All the books I have say the panzer uniforms were pretty much the same cut, with differing camouflage patterns between SS and Heer units as well as different patterns between SS uniforms depending on when they were produced.

Edited by Juggernut

20 hours ago, Juggernut said:

Are you referring to any differences between Heer and SS panzer uniforms or between summer/winter?  All the books I have say the panzer uniforms were pretty much the same cut, with differing camouflage patterns between SS and Heer units as well as different patterns between SS uniforms depending on when they were produced.

Can't be 100% certain here ... but I think he's referring to the fact that the StuG crews were originally from the Artillery branch of the military - as opposed to the Panzer crews which were a new branch ...

Panzer crew's wore a specially modified uniform - short, black, tight fitting tunics (to avoid snagging) with loose pants (for movement) ... distinguished by rose pink waffenfarbe and the totenkopf symbols. Artillery uniforms were a similar design style in the standard field grey colour - although a more traditional fit with the tunics being longer and the pants not as baggy ... uniforms were also distinguished by the traditional red waffenfarbe banding and associated badges ... As the war moved into the 2nd and 3rd years, the StuG crews (indeed ANY non panzer arm related AFV crews - by Luftwaffe or Artillery personnel) began to adapt the fit of their uniforms to serve the purpose ... much as the panzer crews originally did ... this lead to a lot of cross matched gear only distinguishable by the colour of the waffenfarbe and various branch badges.

as long as you get the Waffenfarbe the right colour (ie red) ... I don't think you'll have any real issues with uniform styles as at that stage of the war (late 1942 onward) uniforms ran in a similar cut anyway.

Rog :)

Edited by Artful69

12 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

I typically buy books not just for the sole reason of being modeling related, but also because of a passion for the subject. While I'll never go $200 for that book, I will go as high as $90 or so, if need be. I just grabbed these two hardbound volumes recently (inexpensive too, which I like a lot), and they're pretty cool.

5TNujy.jpg

Same here.  This goes for aircraft and art books for me.  I will look into the two books you have shown. 

On 8/23/2021 at 7:21 PM, LSP_K2 said:

I typically buy books not just for the sole reason of being modeling related, but also because of a passion for the subject. While I'll never go $200 for that book, I will go as high as $90 or so, if need be. I just grabbed these two hardbound volumes recently (inexpensive too, which I like a lot), and they're pretty cool.

5TNujy.jpg

Thanks for the tip. I ordered these two books today. 

I made a visit to my LHS today.  Jon has not been informed by the USA distributor for Das-Werks about the release of this kit.   I put him on the trail thanks to this post.  I received an email two days ago pointing to Andy’s hobby for retail preorders and another for wholesale.  We shall see what will happen.

On 8/23/2021 at 9:47 AM, Juggernut said:

Slightly off topic but related- Does anybody know of a good WWII German Panther tank (or similar) commander figure (and the rest of the crew), in the cupola in cold weather dress.  I’m not referring to the big, thick, padded suits that were generally seen on the Eastern Front during winter but the cold weather uniform with gloves, etc.?  

I'm guessing Alpine would be your first port of call for that.

Matt 

• 1 year later...