1/32 Roden SPAD XIII with added detail

kensar

I've found this kit to be a typical Roden kit, which means it can be made into a nice model, but it will take some work.  I plan to depict Rogues' plane from SPA48 (I wanted a chicken on my SPAD).  I have decals from FFSMC and a PE set from PART of Poland.  The PE set is for the SPAD VII, but has many items that can be used on the XIII.

5fef90aa6687fd19042b41a2244f2547-aviatio

I started with the engine.  I will be closing up the cowling, but I wanted to see what the engine would look like OOB.  Right off the bat, the base of the cylinders did not fit into the fittings on the crankcase, so I remade them from sprue.  Hopefully, the cylinders will not be too tall to fit under the engine covers.

Roden-SPAD-XIII-02.jpg

I find the most aggravating thing is surfaces that are supposed to be at 90 degrees to each other are not due to the angle molded in to facilitate removal of the sprue from the mold.  I spent a lot of time sanding down pieces so they will fit properly.

In the end, I think it looks pretty good.  With some detailing, it would be worth showing in an open cowling.

Roden-SPAD-XIII-05.jpg

Roden-SPAD-XIII-07.jpg

Roden-SPAD-XIII-09.jpg

I'll be making several posts, as Postimage or this forum has had problems with my thread.  

Next, I started on the interior.  I found that some structural parts are made with wood and some of the same parts are made with metal, depending on what company made the plane and when.

Roden-SPAD-XIII-10.jpg

Wood grain is done with oil paints.

Roden-SPAD-XIII-14.jpg

Roden-SPAD-XIII-16.jpg

I have added wire loops on the rudder bar and remade the pivot with sheet aluminum.  The fuel tank gauge was made on the lathe and has an Airscale decal for the face.

Roden-SPAD-XIII-18.jpg

Mounting the engine required some mods.  In order to get it to seat all the way down on the mounting, I had to notch the wing spar and remove the oil pipe on the bottom of the engine.

Roden-SPAD-XIII-17.jpg

Roden-SPAD-XIII-19.jpg

Next - more interior work and test fitting.

I glued the rear edges of parts 4C and 7C flush with the edge of the bulkhead 11A.  Exact placement of these parts was not clear to me.  When test fitting the fuselage sides, they would not fit properly due to the channel that is molded into the side.  The fix was to remove the forward edge of the channel.  I don't know if this was my error, or a Roden error, but I think it will not affect anything.

Roden-SPAD-XIII-20.jpg

More details added - oil piping in the interior.  The SPAD has one of the most complicated interiors of any WW1 aircraft.

Roden-SPAD-XIII-21.jpg

The instrument shelf.  I made instruments on the lathe and used Airscale decals.  I've added numerous other details, as well.

Roden-SPAD-XIII-25.jpg

Roden-SPAD-XIII-26.jpg

Fuselage sides - I used Tamya racing white for the CDL and oils for the wood.

Roden-SPAD-XIII-29.jpg

Roden-SPAD-XIII-32.jpg

A seat cushion made from Milliput.

Roden-SPAD-XIII-30.jpg

Roden-SPAD-XIII-31.jpg

While oil paints were drying, I decided to make a better engine cooling slat assembly.  First, I made a jig to hold a piece of styrene in a round shape, and glued the ends.  Then glued in the horizontal and vertical slats.  Here, the kit part is on the left, mine on the right, in progress.

Roden-SPAD-XIII-28.jpg

And finished, being test fitted.

Roden-SPAD-XIII-34.jpg

This brings us up to where I am at the moment.  I have a few more details to do in the interior before closing it up.

Ken you are right, the Roden kits make you work a lot but the final result is worth it, I have built several ww1 planes but in 1/48 of the Russian brand and I must say that I had a lot of fun building them.

The Part sets put a strain on your nerves and also your place in heaven but definitely give the model an extra touch.

The pilot's cushion is definitely very nice.

I await new progress

A few pictures of the interior before closing up the fuselage.  Many of these details will not be very visible.

Roden-SPAD-XIII-35.jpg

Roden-SPAD-XIII-37.jpgRoden-SPAD-XIII-36.jpg

Roden-SPAD-XIII-38.jpg

The fuse will be closed up soon.  The white tabs will support the instrument shelf.  Test fitting indicated the fuse needs to be spread a bit to make the top fit without over hanging the sides.  May just be an issue on my model.

Thanks for the comments.  I'm a little suprised I am the first one with a build log here.

Roden-SPAD-XIII-42.jpg

I've added a little detail behind the pilot's seat, as some of it may be seen from a certain angle.  The stringers are just scratches in the paint.  The supports are wire and the cross braces are styrene.  The canvas bag on the right side is tissue paper covered styrene.

Roden-SPAD-XIII-43.jpg

Roden-SPAD-XIII-44.jpg

I'm currently prepping the fuselage top to be glued on.

• 2 weeks later...

Another update.

I've got the fuselage top on and some masks for the painting.

Roden-SPAD-XIII-49.jpg

The fuel tank section has some detail to it.  It was held onto the fuse bottom by 4 bolts and 3 straps.  Unfortunately, the PE set I have is for a SPAD VII, which has 2 straps, where the XIII has 3.

Roden-SPAD-XIII-48.jpg

I put in a spreader so the fuselage sides match the cowling width.  Maybe a bit overkill, but it works.

Roden-SPAD-XIII-50.jpg

The bottom pan is on.  Wood framing can be seen around the edges of the fuel tank, so those areas are painted brown.

Roden-SPAD-XIII-51.jpg

Checking the cowling fit.

Roden-SPAD-XIII-52.jpg

Work is continuing.  Waiting on some paint and replacement machine guns.

Thanks for looking.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again for dropping by and the comments.  They are appreciated.

Here is a test fit of the PE bellcrank mount for the aileron on the lower wing.  It's pretty fragile, so I reinforced it with another PE piece.  These parts came from the PART PE set.  The turnbuckle and the strut mounting plate are attached to the brass strip with nylon monofilament, heat shrunk at both ends, which traps the parts like a bolt.

Roden-SPAD-XIII-53.jpg

I have the base color on the fuse and top wing.  The metal panels are slightly darker than the linen.  The paint is a mix of tan, yellow, and white Testor's enamels.  The roundels are painted on, as well.

Roden-SPAD-XIII-54.jpg

Roden-SPAD-XIII-57.jpg

Roden-SPAD-XIII-59.jpg

Roden-SPAD-XIII-60.jpg

There's a couple more panels to paint on the fuselage before moving on to more detailing and decals.