Missing Avatars

LSP_Kevin

One of the few pieces of negative fallout from our recent server migration is that a subset of User Profile photos (avatars) has gone missing. Vanished without a trace, in fact. The only solution for this is for affected members to re-upload a new avatar image. The tricky part to this is that, due to the aggressive caching that is a feature of modern web browsers, many of you won't notice that your avatar is missing straight away, and it make take a few days (or more) for it to 'suddenly' disappear.

To update your avatar, go to your user Profile page and click on the little 'image' icon at the bottom left of your now-vacant avatar image area (see the screenshot below), and follow the prompts. If you have any trouble with the process, let me know in a comment in this thread.

1896710444_ScreenShot2021-06-21at7_38_56pm.png.c9d092f83fc3afafbbbb684e29917d5e.png

Eventually, avatars that are not replaced will be cleared from the database, and you will receive the forum default of the first letter of your user name.

Kev

Just now, Juggernut said:

Mine has gone too....no big deal as I don't really care one way or the other :)

At the moment, the missing avatars are a pain. The avatar is replaced with a  broken image icon and the users name, which is a link. The link spreads out across the 'read new content' icon at the beginning of the thread title

I'm getting good at accidentally visiting users' profile pages....

Richard

1 minute ago, Juggernut said:

Mine has gone too....no big deal as I don't really care one way or the other :)

That's OK, but if you don't remove or replace the dud one, the browser provides either an ugly broken image icon, or an ugly replacement text, like so:

1020509497_ScreenShot2021-06-22at6_23_26am.png.2c33db5565d9b5e3031f2c83a6de9cb7.png

If you'd prefer not to have an avatar, edit the existing one and choose the 'remove photo' option, which will then clean this up.

Kev

3 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

That's OK, but if you don't remove or replace the dud one, the browser provides either an ugly broken image icon, or an ugly replacement text, like so:

1020509497_ScreenShot2021-06-22at6_23_26am.png.2c33db5565d9b5e3031f2c83a6de9cb7.png

If you'd prefer not to have an avatar, edit the existing one and choose the 'remove photo' option, which will then clean this up.

Kev

Saw that.....updated accordingly :)

26 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Wow - what is it?

Richard

It is Sikorsky's X-2 technology demonstrator.  It was developed to prove a concept...which concept eludes me but I was told by the engineers that the rotor blades only flap about 1/2" up or down at the tips...very rigid.  It's also very fast too.  No blade stall either....  I was there for its maiden flight which is where that photo came from (part of a Sikorsky press release if I remember correctly....  we were not allowed to take photos)  LOL, the guy running the movie camera was a coworker of mine at the time and was in an S-76 alongside the X-2. 

I think the X-2 held the land-speed record for the fastest rotary wing aircraft for awhile.  I believe a European design then broke it's record shortly thereafter...I'm not sure on that.  My DNA is in that vehicle as I helped build that aircraft, albeit a very, very, very minor role it was.  This vehicle is now in the Udvar-Hazey facility of the NASM.  I saw it when I was there and almost freaked out.

Here's Wiki's blurb on it:  Sikorsky X-2

Edited by Juggernut

OOOOkay, so what's the record braking issue (ofcourse there is, no offence) in this concept being a twin main rotor system on top of each other, counter rotating, augmented by a pusher propellor in the rear and doing 260 KIAS........didn't the Cheyenne have almost the same qualifications way back in time, but it got scrapped (more or less) ???

Because of politics i might say, and THAT is not my opinion, but a generally  accepted fact........

please correct me if i'm wrong......................