Revell Hawker Typhoon 193 Sdn

Panzerwomble

Continuing my own very private obsession with RAF Harrowbeer near Plymouth , I'm going to try to recreate one of 193 Squadrons aircraft as shown in the publicity shot at that airfield on October 16th 1943 above. 

The Squadron was part of what was known as the Brotherhood of the Bellows , where South American countries raised funds to supply the RAF with aircraft, in this case all the Typhoons in the shot . The pic was taken to feedback what the money had been spent on to the donors . 

Below is Sdn Leader Petre's Typhoon JP784, DP-X with the Brazilian flag on the day of the ceremony. On the door it bears the symbol of the Fraternity and the words "Bellows Brazil I". 

I am indebted to the Brazilian website dedicated to this initiative  Link Here ( you'll need Google to translate it )  

And also the RAF Harrowbeer Association Website

fole-10.jpg

Edited by Panzerwomble

So two kits , one goal and childhood interest in the local old airfield . What could possibly go wrong ?

The kit bashing of the two doesn't worry me per se...........the raised 1973 lines  and re scribing .......will be a challenge . I need to buy a scribing tool as you don't often do that weird scraping malarkey on muddy things. Ho hum . 

• Panzerwomble changed the title to Revell Hawker Typhoon 193 Sdn
4 hours ago, dennismcc said:

This should be interesting.

Cheers

Dennis

7 hours ago, Dpgsbody55 said:

Interesting kitbash.  :popcorn:

Cheers,

Michael

I saw there was some discussion last year about the feasibility of doing this rather than taking the MDC route , although I don't think it was done in the end so a Frankentiffy maybe the net result :rofl: I know you've had a crack at both before Dennis , you'll have to be gentle with my lesser efforts as I am in no way an expert on any Hawker aircraft  :huh:

Edited by Panzerwomble

• 2 weeks later...

hmmm . Small Update 

So now the proud owner of two kits . .....Brand new Tempest ....£32 off Jadlam after some haggling ......and 1873 Revell Typhoon ....£40 of Fleabay .....go figure where that extra £8 went ? 

Sizing the two up does not look insurmountable . 

On another note, being distracted by my 1:1 model project ....and no it's not a flippin' Blackburn @RLWP

Before 

IMG_8643.jpg

and "after "

59-FA449-C-B4-CD-4942-BD27-82-C1-BDDF689

Keep posted more 1/32 soon ............

Edited by Panzerwomble
better pix

12 hours ago, Lee White said:

That bike screams “1982!”.

Close :clap2:- registered in 1985 ( C plate in UK parlance)  although it's probably a 1984 bike registered late.

I guess by '85 everyone was queuing up to buy the all new GSXR750 , and these "old" air cooled GSX's stuck to the dealers floor . 

Anyhoooo this bike thingy should be finished next week with luck and then we can get back ot the vexxing questions of how to make a half decent Tiffy. 

Edited by Panzerwomble
......pull thread back on topic.

• 2 months later...

Nice bike, it's very satisfying bringing an old one up to standard, I spent two years working on my 76 CB750F1 and it was worth every minute.

As to the Typhoons I'm sure that you will do a great job, neither of mine are perfect but I am really pleased with both of them, I'm still waiting for the long awaited SH Typhoon to come out and I can have another shot at one.

Mind you I did find an old Revell Typhoon in the loft with a Paragon bubble top conversion so another Typhoon build is very possible.

Cheers

Dennis

On 9/2/2021 at 12:50 PM, dennismcc said:

Nice bike, it's very satisfying bringing an old one up to standard, I spent two years working on my 76 CB750F1 and it was worth every minute.

As to the Typhoons I'm sure that you will do a great job, neither of mine are perfect but I am really pleased with both of them, I'm still waiting for the long awaited SH Typhoon to come out and I can have another shot at one.

Mind you I did find an old Revell Typhoon in the loft with a Paragon bubble top conversion so another Typhoon build is very possible.

Cheers

Dennis

Aha thank you . I had an F1 back in ....1992 ....SOHC Hondas of any variety were a rite of passage back then . 

496-BB763-E27-A-49-C0-82-E1-F80-E56-B6-E

Regarding the Typhoon I've been a bit of a fraud / slacker on this GB , not only finishing off the 1:1 bike but also my 1:1 Jeep GranChirky acquisition . 

I can however report that I was in Plymouth over the summer and took some pics of the airfield for inspiration . Dispersal pits and civvy buildings that were requistioned for mess and accommodation . As the nights draw in I need to get back to the bench !! Next post will include pix of plastic ! 

5-A05-DB2-A-AF97-45-AE-94-AA-D25-EBC3646

0662-DAE7-9-EE7-4-EE0-BCB8-F6-F9-EC33860

Edited by Panzerwomble

Right , enough procrastination .....my false bravado has only got me so far in life, time to actually start putting some parts together and build this thing. 

So .... we have a Revell 1/32 Typhoon made up of a whopping 70 parts  ( Skill level 2 outta 3 according to the blue box ) from 1973 ( 1996 final boxing ) 

Kurt looks on dispassionately  , and PW thinks maybe sneakily just bung it together , I mean who's even looking right ? How bad could it be ? But no , not for LSP ..

DE4-E7216-14-AB-4-DCF-AC86-3-D1-BB557-DE

And so a quick look at the Revell Tempest V , a 2020 repop of Special Hobbies 2016 tooling . "Skill level" 5 on the box ....does that make this endeavor "Skill level 7" I ponder. 

Kurt don't care . That's 255 parts there buddy and would make a nice model on it's own ,  rather than getting chopped to garnish a dinosaur . .

34-D308-CB-4-F6-B-4-DAC-ADEE-CCDC1-C257-

So a brief bit of planning . :(

Base model of the Typhoon and add bits of Tempest .

Will tone down embossed detail but not feeling a full rescribe .

Can't use the wings as they are so different , might be able to use the tail planes although they joint to the fuse differently . Ditto on the vert stabiliser 

Undercarriage should be an improvement and can scratch upgrade the wheel wells a little, although unless obvious I'm never too worried about what you can't see. 

Could swap the nose , not sure why I would , although the radiator details will be better if I can incorporate them. Engine detail in old Typhoon won't be getting an airing . 

Main plus will be the cockpit , if it all fits in there . Maybe under wing stores although if I'm building to the photos........... they were clean on presentation . 

Will have to do some research / make educated guesses as to colour scheme maybe . And scratch up so appropriate serials no biggie . 

Canopy looks poor , not sure what to do with that as yet . 

Any other advice comment appreciated :) 

So next installment will be the cockpits and we will see where we go .