Revell Hawker Typhoon 193 Sdn

Panzerwomble

The nose on the SH Tempest is reputably all wrong so I would not use it on your hybrid, there is a Barracuda replacement for it though.

The canopy (Revell) on mine was a bit challenging to get a good fit took quite a bit of adjustment, sanding and shaping.

Later Typhoons did have the Tempest tail, probably not applicable to your subject though.

I did re scribe my Revell Typhoon and it came out well, for this I used Dymo tape and a Bare Metal Foil scriber, with templates from Lion Roar, mistakes, and there were a few were fixed using CA but do not let it go hard as it sets harder that the plastic.

Cheers

Dennis

54 minutes ago, dennismcc said:

The nose on the SH Tempest is reputably all wrong so I would not use it on your hybrid, there is a Barracuda replacement for it though.

The canopy (Revell) on mine was a bit challenging to get a good fit took quite a bit of adjustment, sanding and shaping.

Later Typhoons did have the Tempest tail, probably not applicable to your subject though.

I did re scribe my Revell Typhoon and it came out well, for this I used Dymo tape and a Bare Metal Foil scriber, with templates from Lion Roar, mistakes, and there were a few were fixed using CA but do not let it go hard as it sets harder that the plastic.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks Dennis - I remembered some of the nose shape issues from Chuck's build a little while ago . I don't think I'm minded to get the Barracuda nose, one of the ideas with this was to see how far you can get on just the two kits , perhaps as opposed to throwing down for every after market goodie. 

Looking at the two side by side , there is about 40 years between them !

Big chunky detail for 1973, lighter recessed for 2020 . The rivet patterns seem similar though so hoping with a bid of sanding 1973 might not look too bad. 

1801843-D-9301-4707-8-D64-E5-B547-DDAA95

Interior is a similar tale 

C5-BA52-F5-C384-4102-98-FC-B851-F9-BE0-B

And check out the tapes on this stab' ....scales they are 15mm / half and inch high , also not sure the fishplates mod were on my target aircraft when the pics were taken in 1943. 

8314-C711-30-E5-4422-9900-CEC6565-CC6-CB

DADE6-B9-E-D2-F2-462-D-ABFC-4288762-DA80

Typhoon-JP919-193-Harrowbeer.jpg

Edited by Panzerwomble

Moving on , I like this old style of instructions . In good old English , not some IKEA'esque pictogram nonsense .

It gives a bill of materials , an assembly schedule and a clear drawing , heck it's almost like engineers  were involved . 

26-F838-E2-DA6-A-4-B52-8-D1-C-689-B22-CF

And so following we get this , although this is not what will be in the model . Not too shabby for the era, and if a fella were inclined no doubt could be improved upon a heap . 

FCB7-F4-C9-44-FB-4-C5-D-A703-8-B81-E6-B1

43-FD98-B3-87-AA-4-DBC-AE57-720-CB0-B55-

Talking of straight, this old mould is displaying a fair amount of flashing , and some warping of the final parts, this engine cover for example . Not insurmountable .........but of you found this on a modern kit you'd been feeling miffed.....or actually if it were on the Revell FW190 where most of the engine covers fit badly .......very miffed.

DZUS fasteners look nice but I suspect they are over scale and should all face one direction . 

F3-AEC329-C285-4483-B09-C-18268108-F13-E

• 2 weeks later...

I should rename this project lipstick on a pig........

So banged the wings together and toned down the rivets a bit . Fit is ok , and the wing root looks like it should go together without much drama .

DSCF4516.jpg

DSCF4515.jpg

No idea what this landing light "detail" is supposed to represent nothing goes in here , it's just an odd hole .....some detailing needed here fo shure . 

DSCF4513.jpg

And although the fuse is kinda straight the nose is like it's been through a few rounds with Mike Tyson .

DSCF4514.jpg

Next "treat especial" is the cockpit first fit 

Looking at various pics, and downloading Airfix 1/24 plans , I've been working out where this all fits together . Interestingly the Tempest rear frame fits the profile of the Typhoon fuse like a glove which is encouraging . 

Next stage, build the cockpit, and see how it ll fits with the engine and rad. 

Typhoon cockpit in fuse 

DSCF4517.jpg

Tempest Cockpit in Typhoon .

DSCF4518.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm confession time . I'm putting this project down, and back in my "healing cupboard " as I don't have a shelf of doom per se 

I feel a bit rubbish as the other person doing this build did the same thing last year.  It's a great idea to get a 1/32 Tiffy . 

In honesty- modelling been my third priority since May , I'm struggling to get into this build , partly as I have a lack of references ( another nonsense- I just CBA to research more) and although I could throw it together for the purposes of calling it done , since I'm using two kits to make one (££££)  I feel I should do it some justice rather than bang it all together for the sake of it . 

I'm not a huge fan of SODing models , hopefully will circle back around to it next year.  I the meantime will do some non LSP subjects closer to heart to get some mojo back . 

Laters 

PW

• 1 month later...

The Revell typhoon can be conquered. The base kit has the right stuff to start out with.  Here is a link to my attempt at it. 

I hope this helps you in your efforts. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

John

On 11/20/2021 at 9:22 AM, logan181 said:

The Revell typhoon can be conquered. The base kit has the right stuff to start out with.  Here is a link to my attempt at it. 

I hope this helps you in your efforts. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

John

Sadly it's less a case of "can it be conquered " more "can I be assed ".:P