1/24 Airfix F6F-5 Hellcat "Kicked Up A Notch": New eBook Now Available!

chuck540z3

Awesome work as always Chuck.

Also, I do agree with you that if anything Airfix should be bending over backwards to fix this issue, as through these forums your builds do promote their product. You also give comment on their after sales service or lack of it! I hope it all works out.

Another extremely informative update, sir - as are they all.  It seems like things are either perfect (or close to it) or not so good and it requires you to do some extra fiddling around.

Airfix's reaction to your request for a replacement part is quite discouraging.  I echo Squizzy's comment that Airfix and Hornby should be replacing that piece, gratis.  Bad form, as some Brits might say.

Keep up the awesome work Chuck.  Sounds like the engine will be a kit in itself.

Stay safe.

Mike

every post is a masterclass in modelmaking - you and Kev should just hook up permanently so this superb content gets realised in his range of eBooks to the benefit of all :)

I had some F6F sprues from a test shot I got before release so I could make our cockpit set, but unfortunately they don't have your short shot parts on them or I would have sent them over

she is one big bird! maybe you get a taste for it and try 1/18 ;)

Peter

A masterclass in building this model, really nice!

It used to be Airfix had first rate customer service, like Revell Germany. My 1/72 Bf110 had parts in the bag broken off the sprue and they sent me an almost complete kit, no separate parts, but whole sprues! That's been about 10 years ago, unfortunatel.

On the other hand, I asked RoG some time ago if I could purchase some decals for a 1/72 Ju88 for use on one of my old Italeri kits and they sent it for free with a little note included to have fun with my model, even if it was for a completely different kit by a different manufacturer.

My 1/72 F4U-4s had horrible clear parts (I had 2 with the same defect, a big bubble in the main hood) and even for a 7 euro kit they sent 2 for free. Not very nice by Airfix... :(

Jeroen

On 11/2/2021 at 11:56 AM, chuck540z3 said:

Payment sent this morning.  Grrrrrr.....  :angry2:

And now the waiting game begins.  I wonder how long it will take to get from 'over there' to your neck of the woods?  Guesses anyone?  I wonder where the bottle neck will be?  Her Majesty's postal service?  Canada Customs?  Canada Post?  Spin the wheel.  It's anyone's guess.  You pays your money and you takes your chances.  I'm going to take a stab and say 21 days, just for poops and giggles.  I certainly hope it takes less time than that though.

This thread deserves a bump up the batting order and to add to the Airfix tale of woe:

I sent an email to Revell Germany with a speculative request for some replacement parts. I offered to pay for the relevant sprue and the postage out to Singapore. Two working days later, I got a reply saying "we will send you the parts to your address without charge." They also kindly warned me that shipping time might be up to six weeks because the parts were coming from the USA. So, Airfix, that's the way to do it.

Anyway, back to this amazing build. Chuck, I love the crispness of your building and the informative tips and tricks. I am looking forward to the next instalment.

1 hour ago, DonH said:

This thread deserves a bump up the batting order and to add to the Airfix tale of woe:

I sent an email to Revell Germany with a speculative request for some replacement parts. I offered to pay for the relevant sprue and the postage out to Singapore. Two working days later, I got a reply saying "we will send you the parts to your address without charge." They also kindly warned me that shipping time might be up to six weeks because the parts were coming from the USA. So, Airfix, that's the way to do it.

Anyway, back to this amazing build. Chuck, I love the crispness of your building and the informative tips and tricks. I am looking forward to the next instalment.

I to have had good service from Revell. 

2 hours ago, DonH said:

Thanks Don!  As mentioned above, I have paid for postage and handling and the parts are apparently in the mail.  I have now moved on to the landing gear and, sure enough, some parts for the wheels are also "short shot" and flawed.  Thankfully I have the Barracuda wheels/tires instead, or I'd be back to begging Airfix for more replacements (at my cost).  Grrrrr, again.  Anyway, I quick review of the other sprues do not indicate any more flawed parts, but there are so many engine parts that I might have missed a few.  We'll see what happens as I plow through them all in the coming months.

Cheers,

Chuck