Space - the final frontier

dutik

Beep! Beep!

sputnik-1bfkdg.jpg

sputnik-2ejjh7.jpg

Red Iron Model from Russia. Who am I? The very first man-made object in space: The Sputnik-1 :thumbsup:

6 parts and 4 antenna rods. Carbon rods. I doubt that the Russians used any carbon for this but I did :wicked:

Still in need for some paint. One of the antenna mounts got damaged during cleanup. Had to add a litte bit of putty, so I have to wait a day before I can add primer and paint.

Enjoy!

- dutik

The very first man-made object in space

Well, the first man made object to be placed into orbit. First man made object into space was MW 18014, a German V2 in 1944.

A V2 would be a good addition to your collection, for its historical significance, and it's role in the subsequent development of space flight in the US and USSR

Richard

You are right! Wasn't aware of this. So it is the first man made object placed into an orbit.

The Germans had an habit to exploit higher spaces. During WW1 the Paris gun hurled its shells 40 kms (25 miles high into stratosphere to achieve a range of 120 kms en route to Paris :wow:They even had to make deflection shots to hit Paris because good old planet Earth moved a good bit while the shell was underway...

For the V2 our genuine expert is LSP_K2. No need here to mingle with his business :wicked: Of course I could build a 1/33 scale R-7 rocket, card model kit, but I am not in need for a new fence pole... :whistle:

Regards

- dutik

4 hours ago, dutik said:

For the V2 our genuine expert is LSP_K2. No need here to mingle with his business :wicked: Of course I could build a 1/33 scale R-7 rocket, card model kit, but I am not in need for a new fence pole... :whistle:

Regards

- dutik

I'm certainly no expert, just passionate, but I appreciate the thought. I like your display of the Sputnik. You'll also be adding Mercury, Gemini and Apollo stuff? I certainly hope so. I just saw the old Revell Gemini model for sale, but the seller wanted some stupidly high price for it. The V2, at least from my view, certainly did point the way to space, and that's why I like it so much.

Speaking of space, I have the Revell Saturn V rocket (1:144) on the way to me right now; should be here Friday (I hope). I've heard the kit has some accuracy issues, but I'm sure it'll be good enough for me, and I'm really looking forward to receiving it.

Sorry, i am not into manned space flight, at least at the moment. Sputnik-3 and a Luna are in the stash. I'd like to build the Lunochod too, but it has fiddly all-PE tires. Hasegawa has two satelit models too, in styrene. We shall see...

This Sputnik kit is just the equivalent of a "cute" kit. Low parts count, round shape, easy to paint. A speed build, compared to my ongoing Natter and the KT-03 target. It is surprisingly large with this 4 unfolded antennas! And prone to breaking. I have ordered a wooden base to store it secure. I guess I will add an image of the surface of the earth from space to show it "in flight". Should be looking nice :rolleyes:

Regards

- dutik

20 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

I'm certainly no expert, just passionate, but I appreciate the thought. I like your display of the Sputnik. You'll also be adding Mercury, Gemini and Apollo stuff? I certainly hope so. I just saw the old Revell Gemini model for sale, but the seller wanted some stupidly high price for it. The V2, at least from my view, certainly did point the way to space, and that's why I like it so much.

Speaking of space, I have the Revell Saturn V rocket (1:144) on the way to me right now; should be here Friday (I hope). I've heard the kit has some accuracy issues, but I'm sure it'll be good enough for me, and I'm really looking forward to receiving it.

I'm noodling on trying to scratchbuild a 1:144 Falcon-9.  I've been wanting to get into 3-D printing, and it seems like that might be a good way to make some of the non-cylindrical parts like the landing legs.  We'll see if I actually get motivated to try it.

• 8 months later...

And finished within a year! Groundbreaking like the launch of Sputnik-1 was :D

imgp46558ojnq.jpg

imgp4654lpj47.jpg

imgp4657ytjqa.jpg

Kit boxes:

space5xj5f.jpg

My thought was that this simple spacecraft would be an ideal starting point to get used to this kind of models and 3D printed stuff. Err, not so much. There are fine printing lines that interfere with the painting of metallic surfaces. I should have sanded the whole surface first, but I realised the problem only after I had added the antennas :mellow: Now it looks a bit like fingerprints on the paint, but these are the 3D printing lines only. Well, I've learned something about 3D printed kits now.

Good news: Used carbon fibres for the antennas that worked well. They are strong, lightweight an flexible. The right stuff for these flimsy antenna mounts.

Also learned how to print large color photos on my printer :D

Hope you like it! Enjoy -

dutik

20 minutes ago, MARU5137 said:

-dutik. 

OUTSTANDING  build  with an IMPECCABLE  looking Earth .

That looks AMAZING..

:yahoo:

You made a lovely display  as well as the model.

How did you do that?(the display).

:wow:    :clap2:   :thumbsup:

It's a photo from space, printed on photo paper. Easy to obtain: Make an appointment with Elon Musk for a space flight, pay a $55.000.000 fee, meet the health tests, enjoy the ride and DO NOT FORGET YOUR CAMERA!!! Easy :thumbsup:

Regards

- dutik

BTW, this is the USA with the Gulf of Mexico upfront. I've choosen this because the Sputnik caught the americans by surprise. Some kind of joke :D

• 1 month later...

Moonward ho!

luna1qfk0n.jpg

Watching the crisis in the Ukraine unfold I quickly grabbed another kit from Red Iron in Moscow. Just to have one in case the US president decides to nuke Russia. Or reverse. You never now :lol:

luna21gjvy.jpg

A fistful of resin parts and a large fret of PE. These large circles are the wheels in beeing. They just want to get folded into shape and glued to each other. Of course the wheels are handed... The size of the construction manual is impressive too. Yep, this is definitly not a shake-n'-bake kit. This will become a serious effort. Maybe in autumn, during my vacation. We shall see.

Regards

- dutik