1/32 Copper State Nieuport XXIII

scvrobeson

Weathering has continued on the Nieuport, and I think it's pretty much done for weathering.  These French planes did not get quite as dirty as their German counterparts, maybe the silver dope didn't soak up oil stains as much, but I tried to replicate what I could see on photos.  Next up should be a semi-matt clear coat then the last few things that need to be painted on.  Then it's time to attach the landing gear and wings.  Let me know what you think.

i-3SgsxVP-XL.jpg

i-dFDRWPb-XL.jpg

i-fBJdN2S-XL.jpg

i-DGvwg9v-XL.jpg

i-sbN9WTq-XL.jpg

The rudder stripes were masked and painted, didn't feel like using the decal, then trying to match the paint to fill in any gaps.

i-mjMWn8J-XL.jpg

i-WssK4zf-XL.jpg

Matt 

Edited by scvrobeson

Big day for the Nieuport.  The top wing is now mounted, and I believe I've shortened my own life by many years doing it.  I can only assume that I messed up somewhere along the line, since the engineering of the rest of the kit has been spot on.  Even though I dry-fit everything multiple times, when I went to glue it all together, it didn't want to work.  Each time I've glue one strut in, a different one would pop out of its spot.  Eventually though, I was able to make it work.  Now just to hide the errant glue spots, paint in a few touch-ups, then rigging will commence.  

Also, got the wheels painted, weathered, and mounted. The pictures don't show it clearly, but I'm quite happy with the weathering on the wheels.  Used tips I picked up from armor modelers on layers of earth weathering. 

i-sS9w2Bp-XL.jpg

i-HtgrSzj-XL.jpg

i-VfnznWK-XL.jpg

i-4kpFbzX-XL.jpg

Machine gun was replaced with a Gaspatch unit, much finer detail around the muzzle

i-LSQbFTL-XL.jpg

i-VNF5GrJ-XL.jpg

i-z48QZ5r-XL.jpg

Dust and Earth weathering started off with a thinly sprayed coat of Tamiya XF-52 Flat Earth.  Some mud splatters from Ammo will finish it off.

i-FgPTh9r-XL.jpg

i-DBdJqWt-XL.jpg

Wheels were done with the same XF-52 base, then weathered with Ammo Turned Dirt and Wet Ground, blended with very light odorless thinner.

Please let me know what you think.  Hopefully the next update will have it all rigged up.

Matt

2 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

That looks fantastic, Matt!

Kev

1 hour ago, LSP_Ray said:

Weathering looks spot on, Matt!

55 minutes ago, Troy Molitor said:

I took a week off and looked after my parents and the Nieuport is standing proud on her gera and the upper wing is attached.  Nice efforts going on here Matt.  

Thanks so much everyone!  Hope the parents are okay Troy.

Now I need to work and find a perfect match for the yellow on the insignia decals to to where they got damaged during strut assembly.  Vallejo Yellow, Gunze RLM 04 and Insignia Yellow aren't right, Lotus Yellow isn't right, Tamiya Flat Yellow isn't right.  Going out of my mind trying to find the right shade.

Matt 

1 hour ago, Uncarina said:

Matt, wow! That build looks so authentic; I think you nailed it!

Cheers,  Tom

Thanks Tom!  There's definitely a few warts that I still need to fix on it along with the rigging and final weathering.

Matt 

11 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

I believe I've shortened my own life by many years doing it.   Even though I dry-fit everything multiple times, when I went to glue it all together, it didn't want to work. 

Maaaan do I know that feeling  <_<

5 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

Now I need to work and find a perfect match for the yellow on the insignia decals to to where they got damaged during strut assembly.  Vallejo Yellow, Gunze RLM 04 and Insignia Yellow aren't right, Lotus Yellow isn't right, Tamiya Flat Yellow isn't right.  Going out of my mind trying to find the right shade.

Mix your own Matt. That's the only way to get it perfect to your eye.

Build looking great so far  :thumbsup::popcorn:

Matt,

Looks great! I love the weathering and mud splattering in particular.

Just one question - maybe it's only illusion - do I see a crack along the bottom centerline of engine cowling or it's a oil stain?

Congratulations!

8 hours ago, Jaro said:

Matt,

Looks great! I love the weathering and mud splattering in particular.

Just one question - maybe it's only illusion - do I see a crack along the bottom centerline of engine cowling or it's a oil stain?

Congratulations!

Good eye.  That's an oil streak.  Figured that when the prop would get greased, some might drip down to the lip of the cowling.  I'll bulk it out a bit so it's more apparent before everything is done.

Matt