Who’s into R/C things?

3 hours ago, LSP_Ron said:

My first plane was a Sig Cadet three channel. Second was an CG Eagle 63

Ah the Cadet! My dad had a couple, and I did fly it a couple of times along with my powered glider "piece-O-cake". 

He had a number of Sig kits, and a number of Byron Originals kits as well.

Aeromodelling since 1976.
Control line (F2b) and Free Flight (F1A) .

Switched to RC in 1983 , all the kind of flying, from glider to helicopters.
past 15 years, electrics mostly, and love to do aerial shots ...

Graupner Chico , electric version, scratchbuilt from the plans.

Graupner BETA sailplane  , electric version, scratchbuilt from the plans.

Electric control line re-built soviet CL model kit from 1978.

My current RC fleet, summer 2020.

RGDS

Nenad 

19 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

I watched my dad build and fly quarter scale R/C, and also watched some of that hard work and money get splatted into the ground. 

Always my hesitancy too. Until I discovered those Ultra Micro planes. It all started with the Champ. Everything's in the box for less than we usually pay for a plastic model. I've also discovered that you can repair them w/ the Styrofoam from takeout containers (which we all seem to have an abundance of whilst ordering out in a pandemic). If damaged badly enough, I can usually repair it it less than 5 mins. My son and I started mod'ing our first Champs as a bit of a lesson in aerodynamics, but then we started making our own out of the guts of old planes. I still don't like investing a lot of time, only to have it not fly/crash, but those little guys are indeed fun.  Gotta have little to no wind, though which can be annoying. 

And those egg planes are brilliant btw. Might have to try one of those :) 

15 hours ago, Smokeyforgothispassword said:

Scott, the Chippie in your first pic looks very much like one build from Hostetler plans?

Wow, took me about 10 min of Googling and digging back into the old gray matter to come up with the name, but it was a Lanier RC kit.  They sold out to one of the big companies after I got out of the hobby and the kit lineup was killed off to eliminate competition.  Lanier also put out the Stinger.  Kind of a mid-wing Stik kit. Very successful.  Funny, I built one, sold it when I got out of the hobby in '98-'99.  About 3 years ago the guy that bought it called me asking if I still had the templates for the design I put on the bottom of it. He was refinishing it and thought about going back the way I did it.  He was still flying it on a regular basis 17-18 years later.  Even funnier, I still had the templates.  :o 

I still have one kit in my stash.  It's one of the old Coverite GeeBee Z or something like that.  Completely non-scale but a sport plane that resembles a scale plane.  And I have a large roll of Coverite left over.  My plan was to build it one day as just a static display RC model and hang it up.  I put that thought aside due to space in my home, my workshop only has 7'11" ceilings.   But now that we are looking at a possible move, there is still hope that one day I'll be able to display it. 

The Weeks Solution was built from Miles Reed plans.  I actually got to meet Mr. Reed at the Pat Hartness fly-in in Greenville when I was building it.  He considered it the best form of flattery that I chose his plans to blow up.  He was a great guy to chat with and gave me all kinds of  tips. 

What was interesting was to walk into a hobby shop that is 100 miles from home 10 years after I got out of the hobby and find one of my builds hanging from the ceiling for sale.  That was the case with a giant scale Fokker Tri-plane I built.  Even had the same Zenoah G-38 on it that I installed.

18 hours ago, LSP_Ron said:

My first plane was a Sig Cadet three channel.

The original Sig Kadet was my 2nd airplane with a Merco .35. Shot taken in the early spring of 1975 at age 9:

j5asQTm.jpg

Me with the same Kadet in 1976 with a scratch-built symmetrical wing with ailerons of my own design (airfoil based on the Kaos center rib):

KuFuOHv.jpg

A few years ago, I scaled the SIG plans down to 42" span and built an electric version of my original Kadet:

UhbI3oy.jpg

D

I was into sailplanes for a few years - until the Feds latest attempt to shut the whole RC thing down.  I saw the writing on the wall and changed to static models.

modernized Sagitta, winch in the nose.

IMG-1954-1.jpg

My 3.5 meter glass ship.

Mibo-Electra2-01.jpg

Scratchbuilt Schwiezer 1-26

IMG-0438.jpg

KWIK FLY MK III , original Graupner kit, 1988. , with gold head OS MAX 60, later with MDS 10 RU.

gKxMCjr.jpg

ujlvijT.jpg

MCLH65D.jpg

flown with Graupner E8 27 MHz SSM/AM CH14 radio ,my first one, bought in 1984.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/Hfzi7gq.jpg[/img]

Hfzi7gq.jpg

Edited by AEROPOXY

RC scale builder here, primarily of second world war types but not strictly so.  I am most proud of my 1/8th scale -5K Hellcat which I scratch built from my own plans.  Flies fantastic and I've had some contest success with it as well.  I am still working on my weathering skills and envy much of the work I've seen on this site in that regard.

X4tf17e.jpg

Edited by Chad Veich

I've always had some R/C aircraft fantasies.  But for most of my life couldn't afford it.  Now that I probably could afford it, I just look at the logistics and sit down to my plastic kits.

I've seen some grown men zipping around little cars with their high-pitched e-motors, and just not found it that interesting.  Even R/C armor models seem boring.  So, I'm wondering if after a few circuits around the airfield, I just might find flying an R/C plane around for a few minutes just as boring.

Here is a question for you:  How far away, or how high can the remote reach the plane? 

Hi Gazz.  You can fly an r/c plane out of sight without losing control - either by distance or altitude.  I frequently could not take my eyes off of my sailplane or I would completely lose sight of it (and it would be gone for good).

8 hours ago, Chad Veich said:

RC scale builder here, primarily of second world war types but not strictly so.  I am most proud of my 1/8th scale -5K Hellcat which I scratch built from my own plans.  Flies fantastic and I've had some contest success with it as well.  I am still working on my weathering skills and envy much of the work I've seen on this site in that regard.

X4tf17e.jpg

Personally, I really like the minimal weathering on this bird.  But I am one of those guys who favors pristine, shiny just out of the paint shop finishes.

ssculptor

6 hours ago, Gazzas said:

I've always had some R/C aircraft fantasies.  But for most of my life couldn't afford it.  Now that I probably could afford it, I just look at the logistics and sit down to my plastic kits.

I've seen some grown men zipping around little cars with their high-pitched e-motors, and just not found it that interesting.  Even R/C armor models seem boring.  So, I'm wondering if after a few circuits around the airfield, I just might find flying an R/C plane around for a few minutes just as boring.

Here is a question for you:  How far away, or how high can the remote reach the plane? 

There is an RC Group who fly ultra light ultra slow RC in an armory in New Jersey. That's my speed! You cant lose it since you can trot along side it while it is flying and actually reach out and grab it in flight. 

Since such activities are suspended due to the current plague, I am working up