Trumpeter 1/24 Hawker Hurricane Mk.I.

mpk

Thanks guys.

I worked all day. Then I went and had special Thai pineapple rice.

It took a long time to paint it. I used my H&S Silverline airbrush with a 1.5 needle and nozzle. The paint job, including the undercoat is amazingly thin.

Then came the decals. Urgh. I was to discover I'm not a fan of Trumpeter decals.

I will give them props for being astoundingly forgiving. 

You may remember this is not a real build for me. I'm using it to prepare for my next Trumpeter hurricane. I'll give this one away. The next one I shall keep. The hurricane holds a very special place in my heart. I distinctly recall telling my mum when I was 7, "The hurricane shot down 75% of German planes during the Battle of Britain."

She remained unimpressed. I even remember where we were. It was a sunny day, Box Hill Melbourne, 1971.

So anyway...

QnLIsO.jpg

Thanks, Don.

I'm looking at the kit now. The Trumpeter decals.......the colours are incorrect. Too bright. I have another hurricane ordered, a Mk. IIc trop. That kit has the correct propellor and spinner for these decals...

nNCvgi.jpg

I'm wondering what I should do.... The colours on this sheet are correct......

Hmmmmmmmmm. :hmmm:

50 minutes ago, Gazzas said:

That looks great, Dale!

Thanks Gaz.

I'm now trying to remove the decals. They're rubbish, too big, wrong colours...

I'm gonna try vinegar. There's a nice set of decals for a Gloster hurricane on ebay. Same scheme...

If only I could get these things off. I even tried gaffa tape. They're stuck fast.

I'll probably have to strip it and do it again. 

33 minutes ago, mpk said:

Thanks Gaz.

I'm now trying to remove the decals. They're rubbish, too big, wrong colours...

I'm gonna try vinegar. There's a nice set of decals for a Gloster hurricane on ebay. Same scheme...

If only I could get these things off. I even tried gaffa tape. They're stuck fast.

I'll probably have to strip it and do it again. 

Once I made a mistake and grabbed my bottle of Tamiya extra thin instead of my Mr. Mark Softer.  Ate right through the decal.  I'm not recommending it of course.  Especially on that fluted hull.  Hopefully the vinegar works.

There is a set of Maketar Paint Masks for 1/24 Hurricanes, you would be able to pull together the right codes etc for what you are building.  Masks are so much better than any decal and as you are buiklding two Hurricance they would be good value.

I have the Trumpy 1/24 Hurricance IID on the bench now and will use them.  Trumpy decals are just not worth bothering with.

https://shop.maketar.com/?product=124-raf-hawker-hurricanes

Edited by BarryWilliams