Hasegawa Messerschmitt ME-163B Komet

Leaning_Dog

Let's give this one a go - the box says "Copyright 1987" so it's been around a while. Not a lot of parts, so I've got a chance of finishing this one. Building strictly what comes in the box - no resin, no etch. 

aIacE1Z.jpg

For a kit that was first issued 33 years ago, the plastic looks pretty nice. Sure, there's a bit of flash here and there, but nothing a quick swipe with a sanding stick or knife won't cure.

pGYHtuz.jpg

7DmFWB6.jpg

Q9fdKVL.jpg

Still enjoy seeing the company name cast into the inside of one of the wings - seems to be common on all Hasegawa kits from this period. 

G8fWmXL.jpg

And this boxing includes a lovely color profile sheet, as well as a nice looking sheet of decals - which I fully intend to use.

cBmKDdt.jpg

97NhHrT.jpg

That's all for now. Thanks for looking.

Cheers!

John.

Hi Guys - thanks for the heads up on the age of this kit. A quick look at the Scalemates site (Hasegawa 1/32 ME-163B) shows that the kit was first released way back in 1973! Hard to believe that was 47 years ago - but no worries. I'm looking forward to a fun build. :thumbsup:  

Cheers!

John.

2 hours ago, Gazzas said:

This kit is on my want list.  I've heard the Meng kit is made for Panels open and woe betide any modeller who wants them closed.

Sprue Brothers has this kit in stock right now (December 19th) for $17.99.....  That's a whole lot of modeling fun for not a whole lot of money. B)

Although, shipping to Australia might be more than the cost of the kit! 

Currently wrapping up another project, and hope to make a start on this one soon.

Cheers!

John.

21 minutes ago, Leaning_Dog said:

Sprue Brothers has this kit in stock right now (December 19th) for $17.99.....  That's a whole lot of modeling fun for not a whole lot of money. B)

Although, shipping to Australia might be more than the cost of the kit! 

Currently wrapping up another project, and hope to make a start on this one soon.

Cheers!

John.

Thanks for the info.  Yep...  shipping to Australia is killer. 

Alright – let’s get started! 

hFU6YZ4.jpg

Construction begins with the cockpit nicely detailed rocket motor. I was overly optimistic about the flash – once I started clipping and fitting bits, flash became apparent on every single part. Granted, considering the age of the tooling, and the number of re-issues over the years, this is to be expected, and is by no means a deal breaker.

kp7jNGN.jpg

Whpfcq8.jpg

The silver paint is Rustoleum 2X straight from the rattle can – and I have to say it works really well. I stumbled across a model car guy on YouTube that paints almost exclusively with Rustoleum rattle cans and gets fantastic results. The price is right, they are easy to find, and you get a lot of paint. A quick wash with Tamiya black “Panel Line Accent“ and it definitely passes the ‘3-foot’ test. The black bits were sprayed with Tamiya Semi-Gloss Black from the rattle can. The steam generator was brush painted with Tamiya Metallic Grey and given a quick black wash as well.

JlzP4Lz.jpg

TnFWZBt.jpg

Ab1iLJx.jpg

pkYSecd.jpg

I initially planned to build the model all closed up, but after seeing how nice the rocket motor looks, I may have a re-think. While it looks good enough for me at this point (might still need just a little dry brushing here and there), there is ample documentation online and should one wish to take a little more time, it could be made into a very nice model all on its own.

Next up is the cockpit and landing skid assembly.  Thanks for watching.

Cheers!

John.

• 2 weeks later...

Time for an update - the further into this build I get, the more flash and mold seams I find... considering the advanced age of this kit, I really can't complain. Since sanding and scraping flash and seams ranks near the bottom of my list of favorite modeling tasks, and literally every piece of this kit needs some level of clean up, I decided to prep as many parts as possible up front, dry-fitting everything now so assembly down the road might go more smoothly.. we'll see how that works out.  

A little online research turned up quite a few historic photos showing the aircraft with the landing skid both extended and retracted, both with and without the wheeled dolly attached. I guess no hard, fast rule on that one - so going with extended and dolly attached. Again, based on some online research, the tail wheel 'retracted' in flight, but was in the 'extended' position on the ground. The kit provides two versions of the tail wheel - one with, and one without the fairing. Haven't decided which one I will use - probably the one that cleans up the easiest.

I'm a little concerned about the strength of the tiny bits that hold the landing skid to the fuselage - the contact points seem quite fragile.

vD4Stok.jpg

The scraping, sanding, assembling, then scraping and sanding some more to get the wheels sorted occupied one entire modeling session... I'm pretty happy with how they look now.   

0Jhwahy.jpg

Dry fitting the skid revealed that the top of the 'brackets' were too wide and prevented the fuselage from being closed - a few swipes with the sanding stick and we're good to go when the time comes.

dxqjCZ6.jpg

Untouched tail wheel piece in all it's glory.  

UWLYtzL.jpg

The instrument panel is classic plastic - can't wait to see how it buffs up with some paint, dry brushing and a wash.  

V0MVVtf.jpg

Fitting up the top and bottom wing halves is the last big thing left, and with the join seam running through the middle of the control surfaces on the underside it's proving challenging. I'll have pics of that in the next update. Hope to start painting soon - and based on a quick internet search, there doesn't seem to be any evidence of standardized camouflage on these planes - so unless there's a clear photograph of the specific aircraft being modeled, what looks 'right' will work just fine. 

Thanks for watching!

Cheers!

John.