3D Printed F-4 Phantom

scjh

Hello LSP,

The 3d model was created using McAir drawings and manuals, with the help of photogrammetry.  This FDM print was done with PLA, which may be too brittle for post-processing.  Eventually I would like to use HIPS instead and resin for detailed parts where needed.  As a tribute to the original aircraft design, I thought it would be interesting to create modular parts like the real airframe (radome, forward fuselage, wing torque-box, center fuselage, horizontal stabs, etc).  Many details (missile wells, various intakes and vents, antennas, cockpit, engine and exhaust) have yet to be added.  Panel lines and clear parts will also need to be tackled.  I focused on the overall dimension and shape accuracy first.  It has the thin wings without the bumps, so probably represents an early F-4B.  This is a prototype and I hope to upgrade and improve the parts as I go along.  Other members of the Phamily are also being created, leveraging off common components.  Hope you find it interesting.

Thanks to all the Phantom experts on LSP and other aviation related sites for sharing their builds and knowledge!

The McAir drawings were mostly from Ron Downey's Aviation Archives, a wealth of information especially of McDonnell/Douglas aircrafts.  http://aviationarchives.blogspot.com/

Jumpei Temma's study of the F-4 Phantom was very inspirational and full of information.  http://soyuyo.main.jp/f4/f4e-1.html

Derek B here on LSP has also generously shared F-4K/M drawings.

SC

sKhcWg.jpg
ojRNDS.jpg

urQkps.jpg

ooa0Xv.jpg

Z9qGZs.jpg

FT5e4k.jpg

Uv2d12.jpg

T8k8P5.jpg

mljlod.jpg

8x5lLs.jpg

Edited by scjh
Added information on drawings.

Hello my friend, SCJH.

This is my print 3D, a Brazilian Air Force Hercules C-130E SAR for a client.

This escale is large all made in PLA plastic for Ender 3 printer.

For now Im working on EMB-326 AT-26 Brazilian Air Force Xavante in scale 1/32, all made in 3D print too.

Good look for your job!

Im following!

:goodjob:

e3uy.jpg

o3eh.jpg

Thank you for your comments.  I will add drawings information on the original post.

HerculesPA_2, very nice Brazilian Air Force Hercules C-130E SAR.  How did you finish the surface?  Did you have to sand it much?  I used the Original Prusa i3 MK3S for this print.

SC

Hello scjh,

Fantastic work my friend (or should that be phantastic work?). I am happy to assist any way that I can. The dimensional information provided in this thread may help you:

Please keep us up to date with your wonderful project.

Good luck

Derek

Edited by Derek B

Derek B,

Thank you!

Chek,

This is the approximate cross section of the Tamiya 1/32 F-4C kit (in white) compared to Jumpei Temma's drawing (in red).  Jumpei's cross section drawings are very good when compared to McAir cross section drawings.  The Tamiya upper hump seems a little wide and where the engine nacelles meet the upper hump also seems a bit high.  If these can be ignored perhaps a plug can be created to help with the contour even though it doesn't completely conform to the original aircraft shape.  How to smoothly blend it in may be an issue.

SC

g5aqDv.jpg

Edited by scjh
fixed typo

38 minutes ago, scjh said:

Obrigado por seus comentários. Vou adicionar informações de desenhos na postagem original.

HerculesPA_2, muito bom Hercules C-130E SAR da Força Aérea Brasileira. Como você terminou a superfície? Você teve que lixar muito? Eu usei o Original Prusa i3 MK3S para esta impressão.

SC

Hello Friend, Yes, I had to do a special finish for 3D printing. I am designing and building other models.

I am currently working on the EMB-326 AT-26 jet and the EMB-110 Bandeirante, the first already printed and in the paint phase and the second in design at Autodesk 3DsMax.

Well, to finish these 3D printed models I use fine sandpaper and then 3 layers of primer (even spray can), then sand again with medium sandpaper and finally a finer one.

This primer (gray) is good for filling the lines of the PLA layers.

If you need more tips just call me.

Big hug.

32 minutes ago, scjh said:

Derek B,

Thank you!

Chek,

This is the approximate cross section of the Tamiya 1/32 F-4C kit (in white) compared to Jumpei Temma's drawing (in red).  Jumpei's cross section drawings are very good when compared to McAir cross section drawings.  The Tamiya upper hump seems a little wide and where the engine nacelles meet the upper hump also seems a bit high.  If these can be ingored perhaps a plug can be created to help with the contour even though it doesn't completely conform to the original aircraft shape.  How to smoothly blend it in may be an issue.

SC

g5aqDv.jpg

This is a really interesting comparison.

Confirms to me that Tamiya got that shoulder too high, being about right for a Brit one.

Such a great thread, you are doing an  amazing job and amazing projects!

Seeing this technology makes me wonder if I am flogging a dead horse with mine.  This might be a better way to go in the future.

Keep up the great work, I love this

46 minutes ago, scjh said:

Derek B,

Thank you!

Chek,

This is the approximate cross section of the Tamiya 1/32 F-4C kit (in white) compared to Jumpei Temma's drawing (in red).  Jumpei's cross section drawings are very good when compared to McAir cross section drawings.  The Tamiya upper hump seems a little wide and where the engine nacelles meet the upper hump also seems a bit high.  If these can be ignored perhaps a plug can be created to help with the contour even though it doesn't completely conform to the original aircraft shape.  How to smoothly blend it in may be an issue.

SC

g5aqDv.jpg

Derek,

This explains one reason why the Tamiya exhaust nozzles are too small for the opening.

It "appears" if one were to reduce the cross section to the red outline then the nozzles would fit better.

Barry

HerculesPA_2,

Thank you for your finishing/painting tips on PLA.  Will definitely let you know if I need more information!

Anothony,

At this stage I think of my prototype as closer to a vacuum-form than a replacement for finely detailed Tamiya plastic.  Your skills, attention to details, and problem solving skills will apply no matter what the modeling material is.

SC