The large-scale-bug. Bitten.

Gazzas

21 hours ago, Gazzas said:

Well...  it's not really a number...  more a state.  For instance, If I want to build an FW-190...  I now have two.  If I want to build a 109...  I now have three.  I have a Razorback in 1/48 marked as a foiling project.  But if there were a bad-ass razorback out there in 1/32...  I could get rid of that one, too.   The other is a Tamiya MiG 15bis.  But I ain't considering the Trumpy offering as an acceptable replacement.  And I have two Roden Albatrosen and 8 WNW kits. 

That's how stashes start. I know I won't (likely) build them all,

but if I decide I want one ( this is where my whimsy takes over) ... there it is !!! ... and I'm off :piliot:

11 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

My main deal with "that" scale is normally, the stuff I would want in that scale just looks very unimpressive comparatively speaking to 32nd.  Usually when I see 72nd, its at least of a larger aircraft, so the model itself seems more impressive. 

I always have scratched my head about the Braille scale etc.  It is not really fake news it seems to be a old joke gone round the camp fire too many times.  

I am using the impressive Airfix Boulton Paul Defiant kit as a guide for my 1/32 build.    The Airfix kit has great surface detail. The big bird has much more presence and my scratch building efforts show up way down in the cockpit. Both scales require handling small parts. 

The big scale kit bug that may change my armor kit stash are the 1/16 scale kits.  My 1/35 scale Panzer I looks almost silly next to the Takom’s 1/16 scale model.  Some evil does lurk in the shadows so to speak.  The big boy needs a lot of scale details. The plastic brackets holding the shovel do not look very real for example.  Missing welds need service. PE could now be the trap that slows down the build.  I am planning a Marder III H conversion during 2021 using the Panda 38(t) kit.  Many smaller kits will be moved out when I pull that off.  

The explosion of subject matter certainly helps the larger scale, as does the quality of kits. Its hard to beat the bang-for your buck factor, and they look far more striking in the cabinet once finished. 

A younger version of me used to snap up kits in all scales, but lately I've been focusing on 1/48 for interesting esoteric subjects (because of the happy medium between availability and accessible size) and saving 1/32 for when I come across super good deals on a kit, or when a particular subject inspires my interest.

12 hours ago, Rick Griewski said:

The big scale kit bug that may change my armor kit stash are the 1/16 scale kits.  My 1/35 scale Panzer I looks almost silly next to the Takom’s 1/16 scale model.  Some evil does lurk in the shadows so to speak.  The big boy needs a lot of scale details. The plastic brackets holding the shovel do not look very real for example.  Missing welds need service. PE could now be the trap that slows down the build.  I am planning a Marder III H conversion during 2021 using the Panda 38(t) kit.  Many smaller kits will be moved out when I pull that off.  

I was starting to get into 1/16 scale.  But then I discovered how expensive that the figures are.  I don’t like armour without figures.  Even with poorly painted figures it looks  better than an inert, closed up vehicle.  Add Jeff Shiu quality to US shipping charges and you get a broke GassaS.

Anyway...  I took eight kits to the meeting and sold them all.  I didn’t try to make much money as I wanted to ensure that I didn’t have to carry them home.  I hope they are enjoyed.

Edited by Gazzas

On 11/14/2020 at 11:39 AM, Gazzas said:

It's finally happened...  I finally have enough LSP's in my stash to drive me to get rid of some of my 1/48 single engined fighters.  I still have a few of the little ones to do...  Foiling projects, and a Gaspatch HS 123....  but I just find myself liking the opportunities that come with a larger model.  I still have some twins in 1/48...  but I don't see myself ever getting having enough space to put anything bigger.

I'm taking the little ones to a club meet today to see them off.

Settle down Sparky. I speak from experience, you may regret it. LSP are fine, but there is a serious limitation with regards to choice. How many versions of an F4U do you want on your shelves? 

Buy yourself a 1/48 GWH F-15. Get the IDF version. It is seriously AMAZING! Far better than a 1/32 Tamiya F-15.

If you do get rid of them, sell them.

3 minutes ago, mpk said:

Settle down Sparky. I speak from experience, you may regret it. LSP are fine, but there is a serious limitation with regards to choice. How many versions of an F4U do you want on your shelves? 

Buy yourself a 1/48 GWH F-15. Get the IDF version. It is seriously AMAZING! Far better than a 1/32 Tamiya F-15.

If you do get rid of them, sell them.

Everything I sold is stuff I have in larger scale.