1/32 P-51B conversion from Revell 1/32 P-51D early

ironman1945

• 4 weeks later...

What a great job. Chapeau!

The issues with scale drawings seem to be.a general problem. When I was researching the Bf 109, I realized that there's not a single correct scale plan for it around, when compared to photographs of the real deal. Quite sad, really. 

It seems, we need to rely on factory drawings, but those can be very hard to come by and quite expensive to buy, unfortunately.

Why do you say she isn't perfect? Looks pretty much perfect to me. Exceptional worksmanship.

Superb, a worthy addition to your fine stable of ponies. :goodjob:

On 9/28/2021 at 4:50 AM, Out2gtcha said:

That looks incredible Dave! Really great work so far. We really need a proper OOB "B" model in our scale

Absolutely, long overdue.

9 hours ago, MikeC said:

Superb, a worthy addition to your fine stable of ponies. :goodjob:

Absolutely, long overdue.

Dont worry guys. I am confident that, having completed the 51B, some major manufacturer will come out with a mainstream kit. Hey it happened with my scratch built Whirlwind... although it did take 15 years after I finished her! 

Oh well better late than never!

Dave/Ironman1945

15 hours ago, daHeld said:

What a great job. Chapeau!

The issues with scale drawings seem to be.a general problem. When I was researching the Bf 109, I realized that there's not a single correct scale plan for it around, when compared to photographs of the real deal. Quite sad, really. 

It seems, we need to rely on factory drawings, but those can be very hard to come by and quite expensive to buy, unfortunately.

Why do you say she isn't perfect? Looks pretty much perfect to me. Exceptional worksmanship.

daHeld

Thanks for the compliments. I'm always critical of my own work, thinking I could have done some things better... witness my late rear quarter window modification after initial paint.  In the end I am actually really happy with how she turned out.

Cheers and stay safe!

Dave/Ironman1945

• 9 months later...
On 11/1/2022 at 2:02 PM, Lee in Texas said:

I’m trying the same thing. I found the old Revell spine too narrow. Did you widen yours or am I doing it wrong? 

Hi Lee

I looked at both the Trumpeter and Revell 51B spines. 

I found the Trumpeter spine to be too wide and "bulbous". 

The Revell spine was better, but not perfect. Have a look at page one of my build. You'll see I mentioned that I had to shim it a bit at the base where it meets the new Revell 51D fuselage in order to meet the true profile/drawings I was using. If you look at the pictures you'll see where the white styrene strip is.

Raising it in this way raises the old Revell 51B spine up, and accounts for its lack of width were it meets the 51D spine.

Hope that helps! Good luck with the build, but honestly if I can do it, anyone can!

Cheers!

Dave/Ironman1945