Tamiya F-4J Phantom VMFA-232 Red Devils *Finished*

AlbertD

3 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Hi Albert,

I've fixed your image link, which didn't work because it was using bbCode - this is no longer supported with the new forum upgrade. I've left the original bbCode link in your post so you can see what I'm talking about.

Kev

Ok, my non technical brain is confused. I think I may have edited out your fix.

I just got my Daco US Navy Phantoms book in the mail today. It took just a week from Belgium to western US. That's just incredible speed. As far as the book goes all I can say is WOW. I sure wish I had ordered it before I started. At least I'll have it for the next one.

Just got a bit done on the kit in the last couple of days. Nothing worth posting by themselves. 

Just a quick update to show you guys some of what I've been up to. I wanted to try the decals so I did the vertical stabilizer and they went on very well. They just have a light gloss coat over them now. I also wanted to get your opinion on the engine exhaust heat shielding. It's a combination of MRP and Alclad paints. They both seemed to go on about the same and worked fine together.

IMG_0741.jpg

IMG_0740.jpg

IMG_0739.jpg

IMG_0736.jpg

IMG_0737.jpg

IMG_0738.jpg

12 minutes ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Oh my word.....everything looks amazing! I honestly cant think of anything to say, you are doing a stellar job!  Much needed inspiration for me too!

Thanks for your kind words. It helps keep me going and working to get better at this.

14 minutes ago, John1 said:

Wow, that is some amazing paintwork!  How did you recreate the heating effect, that’s especially well done.   

Thanks John, I laid down a coat of MRP gloss black then MRP Super Silver. After that I used some Alclad burnt iron then MRP Pale Burnt Metal, Burnt Metal Violet, Burnt Metal Blue then finished off with some MRP Exhaust Soot. I may still tone it down a bit with some more Exhaust Soot since it will be a forward deployed plane and we'll used.

38 minutes ago, chuck540z3 said:

Great titanium painting!  You got the subtle striped look, without going overboard.

Cheers,

Chuck

Thanks Chuck. I appreciate your input. I see this area sometimes pretty sooty and sometimes not. I guess like bricks in a fireplace the intense heat would keep it fairly clean. I still may dirty it up a bit.

43 minutes ago, chuck540z3 said:

It can look pretty dirty!  (QF-4E at Nellis AFB)

iWKE5t.jpg

Cheers,

Chuck

I think I will go ahead and dirty it up a bit more. Here is a picture from a different angle along with a couple of pictures of patched up paintwork as seen on a lot of period photos. It will be toned down with weathering of course.

IMG-0745.jpg

IMG-0743.jpg

IMG-0744.jpg

That is some great painting on the hot end.

I just want to remind you that the vertical panels leading to the stab pivot surround were a type of stainless alloy (Inconel X nickel/chrome as I recall)

and remained a bright looking silver metallic colour. As can be seen inc Chuck's QF-4E jet nozzle photo