RAF FG.1 XV571 WILD HARE Phantom Conversion

Anthony in NZ

On 3/12/2023 at 3:49 AM, scvrobeson said:

I'm almost convinced that your next post will be installing scale screws into each of those holes, just for complete authenticity.

I'm getting there......:lol:  I keep losing my little tap's and die's!

On 3/12/2023 at 10:58 AM, Derek B said:

You're not wrong! Exquisit work on those panels Anthony, well done.

Derek

Thanks Derek!  I'm hoping it wont look too 'pin cushion'looking after several layers of paint

On 3/14/2023 at 1:52 AM, amurray said:

Greg,

My go to correction is as you said - CA and re-scribe.  The key is to let the CA cure for at least 2 days until it's as hard as a rock before re-scribing  BUT having said that one has to regain the original surface within an hour of placing the CA.  So: CA to fill the erroneous lines; wait an hour to sand smooth to the desired contour; wait two days to re-scribe.

Yup....wot he said!

1 hour ago, KiwiZac said:

This is all well and good but I prefer the FGR.2...:D

Right you......go to the naughty corner! :D

Pfffft.....FGR.2 Tsk  Moderators??? Where are you? Ban him for such heresy

LOL I do too Zac, still looking forward to seeing you again at Classic Fightes Airshow at Easter...it's just you owe me a beer now LOL

Cheers guys

Anthony

• 2 weeks later...

So not a lot to report these past few weeks with my Phantom.  Have had a lot of family issues that needed taking priority but amongst all the craziness I managed some bench time in.

Most of the work has focused on the outer wing panels.  These are an interesting history in themselves from what I have studied.  They went through several mod states and there even seems to be differing versions of versions right at the end of their life.  I believe some new manufactured (or remanufactured) ones were made as well to confuse the situation further. Anyway with the help of our resident Phantom experts @Gene K we got together and between us figured out the essential differences and the most common version seen late on their service lives.  Essentially this is how they pretty much ended up

Photo courtesy  @Iain

z1ORwV.jpg

So Gene did various drawings and after several attempts (one going missing in the post) he came up with a series of plates that fit the Tamiya wing and replicate the final evolution of the outer wing mod.  Thank you sir!  You are a legend and I super appreciate your help and efforts gone into this and the belly straps for accuracy!

I have still a way to go but I have almost finished correcting and adding the panel/rivet lines and the first plate laid and glued on.

uRR9cg.jpg

Anyway layer one on.  I will get the other side glued on and get them both to the same point before I go any further.

In the meantime I have pretty much finished the upper wings, correcting and riveting....

rq68Ya.jpg

WxJFVX.jpg

VyHEoC.jpg

Little bit of fine tuning and a bit more thinning of those top reinforcement plates...but getting there.

Cheers guys

Anthony

On 4/3/2023 at 9:59 AM, Anthony in NZ said:

So not a lot to report these past few weeks with my Phantom.  Have had a lot of family issues that needed taking priority but amongst all the craziness I managed some bench time in.

Most of the work has focused on the outer wing panels.  These are an interesting history in themselves from what I have studied.  They went through several mod states and there even seems to be differing versions of versions right at the end of their life.  I believe some new manufactured (or remanufactured) ones were made as well to confuse the situation further. Anyway with the help of our resident Phantom experts @Gene K we got together and between us figured out the essential differences and the most common version seen late on their service lives.  Essentially this is how they pretty much ended up

Photo courtesy  @Iain

z1ORwV.jpg

So Gene did various drawings and after several attempts (one going missing in the post) he came up with a series of plates that fit the Tamiya wing and replicate the final evolution of the outer wing mod.  Thank you sir!  You are a legend and I super appreciate your help and efforts gone into this and the belly straps for accuracy!

I have still a way to go but I have almost finished correcting and adding the panel/rivet lines and the first plate laid and glued on.

uRR9cg.jpg

Anyway layer one on.  I will get the other side glued on and get them both to the same point before I go any further.

In the meantime I have pretty much finished the upper wings, correcting and riveting....

rq68Ya.jpg

WxJFVX.jpg

VyHEoC.jpg

Little bit of fine tuning and a bit more thinning of those top reinforcement plates...but getting there.

Cheers guys

Anthony

Fantastic research work between you and Gene, well done! (your outer wing panel upper surface looks utterly convincing). 

On my final days of Phantom at British Aerospace (BAe, now BAE Systems), at the end of the 80's and early 90's, most of the remaining RAF Phantoms had, or were, undergoing a Return To Works (RTW) 100 FI life enhancement programme, which essentially centred around various centre wing strengthening mods (including the famous strengthening strap). I think that this provided about an additional 75 FI to the total life of the aircraft. The remaining 25 FI was accounted for by the manufacture of new outer wings at BAe Brough (the original Design Authority (DA) for British Phantoms was Short Aircraft Co, but this was transferred to BAe Brough during the 1970's).

Derek

Edited by Derek B

Antony after 103 pages of religious silence and 3 years following this wip I just have to say EXCEPTIONAL.

Not only for the resistance and dedication to a model, I shouldn't have all this patience, think that for my R2800 it took me almost 3 years but in the meantime I built at least twenty planes in 48 working on the engine only in winter.

Both you and Jay have been working steadily on your project with fantastic results.

I continue to follow you with great interest, the English Phantoms, although not as colorful as the American ones, have always fascinated me, they are so......British

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2023 at 2:20 PM, Derek B said:

Fantastic research work between you and Gene, well done! (your outer wing panel upper surface looks utterly convincing). 

On my final days of Phantom at British Aerospace (BAe, now BAE Systems), at the end of the 80's and early 90's, most of the remaining RAF Phantoms had, or were, undergoing a Return To Works (RTW) 100 FI life enhancement programme, which essentially centred around various centre wing strengthening mods (including the famous strengthening strap). I think that this provided about an additional 75 FI to the total life of the aircraft. The remaining 25 FI was accounted for by the manufacture of new outer wings at BAe Brough (the original Design Authority (DA) for British Phantoms was Short Aircraft Co, but this was transferred to BAe Brough during the 1970's).

Derek

Thanks Derek, its always nice to hear a more technical explanation to these mods

Yup, @Gene K did us proud!

On 4/3/2023 at 8:54 PM, spartacus2000 said:

Antony after 103 pages of religious silence and 3 years following this wip I just have to say EXCEPTIONAL.

Not only for the resistance and dedication to a model, I shouldn't have all this patience, think that for my R2800 it took me almost 3 years but in the meantime I built at least twenty planes in 48 working on the engine only in winter.

Both you and Jay have been working steadily on your project with fantastic results.

I continue to follow you with great interest, the English Phantoms, although not as colorful as the American ones, have always fascinated me, they are so......British

Awwwww thank you!  You are too kind.  I think it is an illness LOL.  Nice to know you have been following along, a man of your calibre....thank you!

On 4/4/2023 at 1:41 AM, jimbo59 said:

Your always finding details I had not noticed before. Now I want to try replicating it.

Hahah sorry mate!

I'm not trying to find them....cos all it dos slow me down!

On 4/4/2023 at 3:29 AM, KiwiZac said:

I've been AWOL thanks to getting COVID (first time for everything, yaaay) so I'm sorry to hear about your troubles Ant - I hope all's well and I get to buy you a beer over the weekend.

Great to catch up last weekend at the airshow mate!  Thoroughly enjoyed catching up with you...we needed more time though.

On 4/5/2023 at 8:32 AM, periklis_sale said:

Wow!!!

How do you do the riveting?

Thanks!

I use a ''Rosie the riveter'' tool.  There are various ones on the market, but essentially like a cog on the end of a stick.  I have varying ones for different spacing.  Then I go back over with a compass point to make the square indentation into a round dot. Sometimes I also use a 0.2, 0.3 0.4mm etc carbide drill (I buy cheap from China as they break easily when they are as thin as a hair)  for various fasteners or rivets so they will accept a wash where I want later on.

On 4/5/2023 at 10:41 AM, jeroen_R90S said:

Hope you and/or the familiy is OK -but the time you did spend modelling produced some great looking results! :)

Awww thanks buddy, 

Family is struggling with dealing with my 19yo sons cancer.  The Chemo is brutal and it is hard to watch.  I have recently realised that going back to my Phantom model has been a nice distraction and put me in my happy place for short periods of time....quite nice actually this hobby for those reasons.

So as many of you now realize my wife and I are dealing with our 19 year old son having cancer in 4 places in his torso area.  we've been through all sorts of scans, tests, then surgery and now about to start week 4 Chemo treatment on Monday (week three has been especially tough, I cant imaging how round 2 /week4 is going to be on the poor bloke.  Anyway we manage somehow.  My concentration span is not very long right now but the big Phantom this week has been nice to work on to ''escape'' for a little while.

So as you can imaging not a lot of progress, mostly because I have not been home much.  But progress none the less.

Having said that, these outer wing panels have been extremely labor intensive.  Also made the template to set the correct outer wing dihedral 

7y6PbG.jpg

Archer rivets going on....terrible photo sorry

XcRWy4.jpg

Mr Surfacer 1200 on

yNBJ9E.jpg

Just got a little tidying and a hinge reinforcing plate to add

sY6SZJ.jpg

Now these are practically finished I can get on and finish the upper wing surface details on the stbd wing

As always thanks for stopping by and hope it is of some interest

Cheers Anthony