Some low passes

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2020 at 6:17 PM, MARU5137 said:

They are Cool videos but I wouldn't want to be near one should 

a mishap occur ... like that one in the uk a few years ago when many were killed on the motorway. 

:hmmm:

I'm fairly sure the Shoreham crash was pilot error induced crash following a poorly executed loop and not being able to recover it properly, as a-pose to a deliberate low-pass like a lot of these. While I understand the sentiment, as a maneuver I'm not sure it's fair to compare them.

How about a pass so low that it nearly killed a TV presenter?

(Warning: quite graphic - although the chap did survive with concussion and a nasty cut on his head)

Edited by vince14

9 hours ago, vince14 said:

Now this is low, and has the added benefit of scaring the living daylights out of Alain de Cadenet.

https://youtu.be/4iOoiEbtf2w

(video can't be embedded as it contains quite a lot of "**** me!")

I've seen several versions of that clip, the information on Ray Hanna is new to me and adds a lot!

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder how many aircraft, warbirds in particular we lost to low high speed passes?  I recall the P-38 California cutie was pilot error which ended the pilots own life and the P-38.   Reno comes to mind also.  The Corsair back in the 90’s and recently the modified P-51.  I love to hear them fly but a few feet off the ground isn’t the way I want to see or hear them.  

I'd say very very very few.  The low level aerobatics is the issue reallly. The P-38 example is a good one. That wasn't a low level high speed pass across Duxford that just crashed into the ground,  it was very low consecutive rolls while loosing altitude.  Maneuvers too low to recover from, or too low too slow or in some cases mechanical issue seem to be the most common cause of bad endings.