Hasegawa Kawanishi N1K2-J Shidenkai

dennismcc

45 minutes ago, Alex said:

That's a nice product - I need to look into RB Productions...

They are great, I've used them on my last 5 builds , three Spitfires and two Japanese IJN fighters and they look really good.

Cheers

Dennis

The detail painting is complete and the parts are ready to be put together, the Aero detail book was invaluable for this, as normal I used cocktail sticks to pick out the small details as I find this easier that using a brush.

All the parts laid out ready to go.

NW2lz9.jpg

Detail shots which as usual show up the missing paint and bad bits.

7361lH.jpg

bWUHP2.jpg

7IyYDy.jpg

v7H7ER.jpg

The instrument panel using MDC Decals

PGmm8h.jpg

All ready to go

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by dennismcc

And as if by magic here is a little update.

The kit has a separate tail, probably to allow for other versions, the instructions would have you join the two tail parts and add them after the fuselage was joined, however looking at several other builds people have joined the fuselage and tail halves first. This made a lot of sense to me as a small gap in the fuselage top and bottoms seam would be easier to sort out than a join line in the fuselage, if that makes any sense.

So that is what I did and it worked great.

1O8FRM.jpg

6yE5Sa.jpg

Cheers

Dennis

8 hours ago, Thunnus said:

Very nice!  I assume that the joint is not on a panel line and needs to be filled?  This build has sparked enough interest in me that I've ordered the kit for a future build!

Thank you, unfortunately the join is not on a panel line and does need to be smoothed out plus there is some heavy duty molding inside that has caused some rippling on the outside. The kit so far has not disappointed me and reading other builds it should not in the end, so enjoy.

Cheers

Dennis

So on we go, time to put all those painted parts together, and they went together really well.

tmIDiH.jpg

OLlB4N.jpg

PBurNl.jpg

KW0RQE.jpg

pNMVkH.jpg

And here we are, Hasegawa certainly did not mess about when it came to making sure that the fuselage was solid, those bulkheads are very strong.

cqxpWA.jpg

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by dennismcc

Keep it up Dennis. The tail parts are a bit of a pain, I still have to do some final leveling with some Mr. Surfacer 500 and block the seam to level it out before paint. 

Watch out for the underwing inserts as well, they don’t fit great without some tweaking of the edges; and they too, like the tail, don’t fall on natural panel lines in some spots. The Aero Detail book will show you the way! 

Take Care-

THOR    :ph34r:

3 hours ago, bdthoresen said:

Keep it up Dennis. The tail parts are a bit of a pain, I still have to do some final leveling with some Mr. Surfacer 500 and block the seam to level it out before paint. 

Watch out for the underwing inserts as well, they don’t fit great without some tweaking of the edges; and they too, like the tail, don’t fall on natural panel lines in some spots. The Aero Detail book will show you the way! 

Take Care-

THOR    :ph34r:

Hi Thor, glad to hear that you are still working on your kit, I have been using your build to help me with mine, though I doubt that my engine will be as detailed or as good as yours.

I am working on the wings on mine at the moment so will take on board what you have said about the inserts.

Cheers

Dennis