1/32 Hasegawa Fw190D-13 Yellow 10

Thunnus

1 hour ago, LSP_K2 said:

Good grief, 6 pounds of AM to throw onto this beast. I suspect I won't be using near that much when I get to my own Dora.

Yes but the D-13 was a special one right?  Ignoring the two D-13 conversion sets that were used more as reference than parts, the AM count on this one is pretty standard, I think.

Thanks Brian!

Some work on the cockpit before I start putting the components together.  Here is the Revi 16B gun sight that came with the Eagle Editions resin set.  I highlighted one of the glass pieces with clear blue/green around the edges and tinted the other one with Tamiya Smoke.
IMG-1401.jpg

The port sidewall has been glued onto the cockpit tub.  After this, the throttle and the and lower instrument panel were glued into place.  The foot pedals have been painted and mounted.  The roof piece that the foot pedals hang down from has not been painted at all since it will be completely obscured.
IMG-1400.jpg

The seat will receive its harnesses after I've completed assembling them.
IMG-1399.jpg

Thanks Antonio!  That Dora has seen better days!  Is that the wreck from Lake Schwerin?

Here's the seat with the HGW harnesses attached to it.
IMG-1402.jpg

The seat is then slid into place along the seat rails. I added an oxygen tube per the Eagle Editions instructions.
IMG-1404.jpg

Here we go with the cockpit disappearing act.  The starboard sidewall, the forward roof and the rear deck are attached the box-like cockpit is complete.
IMG-1406.jpg

We dry-fit the cockpit tub into the fuselage to make sure that it sits properly.
IMG-1413.jpg

As you can see, the view into cockpit is VERY limited and the addition of the canopy parts will make it even more so.  
IMG-1410.jpg

IMG-1411.jpg

IMG-1412.jpg

With the cockpit complete, we can now focus some more attention on the rear engine area.

On 2/6/2021 at 12:30 AM, Thunnus said:

Yes but the D-13 was a special one right?  Ignoring the two D-13 conversion sets that were used more as reference than parts, the AM count on this one is pretty standard, I think.

For you maybe. Yes, this is the D-13 depicted in the Eagle Editions book I assume?

On 2/6/2021 at 9:27 PM, LSP_Kevin said:

Lovely work, John! You make it look so easy.

Kev

Thanks Kevin!  Probably because I has so much practice on these Hasegawa D-9 kits.  This is my fourth!

On 2/6/2021 at 10:40 PM, LSP_K2 said:

For you maybe. Yes, this is the D-13 depicted in the Eagle Editions book I assume?

Ha!  Maybe I am more prone to succumb to the lure of AM than others!  It's hard to resist these resin and brass goodies!  Yes, this will be Yellow 10 but I will be deviating a bit from camo description/analysis found in Mr. Crandall's Dora Volume 2.  Don't have a definitive game plan but I'm thinking a hybrid of Crandall's and JaPo's analysis.

On 2/7/2021 at 1:42 AM, dodgem37 said:

You got magic fingers, Man.

Sincerely,

Mark

I wish!  I'm just a good photographer... everything looks nicer with good lighting!

On 2/7/2021 at 9:44 AM, scvrobeson said:

That's always such a bummer after how much work goes into the cockpit to lose 80% of it.  At least there's photo evidence of it, and you know that it's there.

Matt 

Yeah, it's a bummer but something that I've had to accept since I like the look of canopies closed.  And another reason why I try to take decent photos during the build.

On 2/7/2021 at 3:27 PM, rowin said:

John, look at the pictures of the real D-13, there is no flare tube on the starboard sideof the forward fuselage. Simmilar sitation is on the most D-9 (late production). Great build!

Are you sure?  In Squadron's Walk Around book that port or at least the outline of it is visible on Yellow 10.  This was before the most recent restoration when Yellow still had the D-9 wings on it.

5 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

I don't recall all those rivet lines in the Hasegawa kit. Is that something you did yourself? If so, using what tools, specifically? I may make a try at that with a G-14 I have in the wings.

1 hour ago, LSP_K2 said:

Never mind, I see that you used the Galaxy riveter. Do you have a source for their tools?

Yes, Galaxy Tools riveter is what I used to rivet this model.  It's a nice tool with one advantage over the RB Productions version... the dot pitch of the 1.00mm large wheel matches the small wheel and corner tool exactly.  Not an exact match with the RB Productions Rivet-R sets, which can be frustrating if you don't pay attention.  I bought the Galaxy riveters on Ebay from a seller called usdreamer-0.  Shipped from China.