EE Lightning - Echelon vacuform

mozart

I've primed the cockpit and intend doing a base coat of Ocean Grey since my main reference book suggests that's about right:

OoIXC9.jpg

I must admit I'm really impressed with the Aries cockpit, the level of detail is marvellous and the mouldings so crisp, all accentuated once primed:

K7i24Y.jpg

yLIV0w.jpg

And a teensy weensy bit of "proper" modelling with glue!  Horizontal stabilisers, tail fin and red top missile bodies and pylons.  You can just see in the first picture that all the parts are dotted with a rash of spots, these apparently help with the vacuum forming process but then of course have to be removed.  I've tried a couple of ways of doing this but the least invasive is a curved blade held at a shallow angle glided across the surface then a very light sanding.  The panel lines are light and easily lost:

y2LJLY.jpg

JSieHv.jpg

1oaiGP.jpg

Edited by mozart

2 hours ago, Uncarina said:

That cockpit pops Andy! Great progress on all fronts.

Cheers,  Tom

Thanks Jack.....err sorry.....Tom!!  Yes the cockpit really is a work of art, I can't begin to imagine how the master could have been made let alone the resin cast so cleanly, all a black art to me.  I just hope I can bring it to life with some careful painting!

2 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Its actually Max doing the work Tom ;)

But yes, I agree on the sentiment 100%! That really does look terrific

Thanks Brian!  The Lightning book is really excellent for colour photo references but it could all be lost in a "dark pit"! 

1 hour ago, Lothar said:

Excellent work Max, I'm glad you've got the nerve to revive that old Lady so beautifully!!

Lothar

All down to you my friend, and I'll try to do it justice.

9 minutes ago, Alain Gadbois said:

Nice work Max!

Those missiles look surprisingly good for vacuform parts. 

Obviously this kit was created with good references and also great skill in the vacuform medium.

You're lucky to have one!

I'm happy I have the Airfix 1/48 kit.

Alain

Yes, the missiles and pylons really are remarkably well formed.  Importantly the two halves of each missile are not moulded straight down the middle, one "half" is bigger than the other which shows great thought and planning from Frank Brown.  The fins are to be scratch built though again scale planes are provided so not too demanding.  I've been collecting references for the Red Top missiles, I understand the front domed head is clear on the real thing so I'll be trying to replicate that.  And you're right, I AM lucky to have the Echelon Lightning, see above! :bow:

14 minutes ago, Wegener said:

Great progress so far.

Those missile fins sound like a job for the plotter, which I assume is your plan.

Quite right Bob!  Hopefully I'll be able to bring it to one of our meetings, whenever they resume! 

29 minutes ago, scvrobeson said:

I've always wondered about how to remove those little pips from the surface. That's what stopped me from finishing a Dynavector Wyvern, couldn't figure out how to remove those without putting little holes all over the surface.

Matt 

I’m going to put some primer on the stabilisers tomorrow Matt, that should show if my method worked! :wacko:

Max, looking like great progress! I think I downloaded a copy of John's thread on ARC when it was first done and made it into a Word doc. If you want I can see if I can find it and e-mail you a copy. I included all the pics and included only the pertinent posts so reads a lot easier than wading through pages of posts.

57 minutes ago, LSP_Ray said:

Max, looking like great progress! I think I downloaded a copy of John's thread on ARC when it was first done and made it into a Word doc. If you want I can see if I can find it and e-mail you a copy. I included all the pics and included only the pertinent posts so reads a lot easier than wading through pages of posts.

Thank you Ray, that really would be appreciated. I’ve read through John’s build; to be honest it’s way beyond what I have the skill or patience to do but there are nonetheless some really valuable nuggets of information and tips there which would be very useful to me. 

Thanks Andy. I’m going to treat painting the cockpit as a therapeutic activity but also decide what to do about the wheel wells so that I can then crack on with the wings, think it will be quite a milestone when they are glued up.