PR.XI & Mk.Vc - Revell Mk.IXc & Mk.IIa kits

Wackyracer

So I need to step up and get this one done. As you all know I tend to spray my markings but headed down the decal route with this one just because we have 4 colour roundels and on all surfaces to boot. I have 'several' Revell IXc kits so raided two more for the roundels!

SUQYtuH.jpg

I also cut out the camera covers from acetate with my Dspiae cutter 

qGSuc1J.jpg

Painted the prop

Pldinie.jpg

And painted and installed the Eduard undercarriage and wheels. These brass legs are OK but require you to enlarge the fixing point to 2.7mm which is a challenge when you don't have that size drill bit, abet 2.6 and 2.8 to hand!

J7cIM1D.jpg

Anyway, can see the finish line in the distance. Do need to find a way to tone down the decals though. I've given them a matt varnish so hopefully the weathering will bring them into line. Also still need to try and clean up the vac budges and front screen!

jSvF2Vy.jpg

TBW3ADW.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Back on the Vc now. PR is awaiting weathering and I'm still mulling over the best approach.

Pit is from the kit plus the Eduard PE set.

I built the seat from the PE set and also the fold down flap/door. Really pleased with how this looks.

P6qyLhU.jpg

jI1BDYv.jpg

The seat padding comes as a piece of flat PE, not good or even close, so I filled the panels with putty worms then tissue paper and white glue over the top, I think with some paint will do the job?

a9dsdA3.jpg

Pit is pretty much there now

yr8HOql.jpg

tA4ErK6.jpg

HFPPXEu.jpg

Hope to install the seat and belts today and get her closed up. 

Aaron

12 hours ago, Fanes said:

Great progress and some nice work on the seat.

You might consider leaving the flare rack off. As far as I know it wasn't used on Mk. V Spits.

Thanks, unfortunately it's all sealed up and installed now. Did this go in and out of favour then? I maybe able to remove as it's only held on with a spec of ca either side.

8 hours ago, Wackyracer said:

Thanks, unfortunately it's all sealed up and installed now. Did this go in and out of favour then? I maybe able to remove as it's only held on with a spec of ca either side.

Leave it as is - it hurts from afar to imagine that you might damage something else in the cockpit!

I had another look in Edgar Brook's Spitfire notes and it states: "Very pistol cartridge rack was normally left off [...]". I cross referenced with the Monforton book which shows the flare rack only on a Mk XVIe.

1 hour ago, Fanes said:

Leave it as is - it hurts from afar to imagine that you might damage something else in the cockpit!

I had another look in Edgar Brook's Spitfire notes and it states: "Very pistol cartridge rack was normally left off [...]". I cross referenced with the Monforton book which shows the flare rack only on a Mk XVIe.

Here it is, I did try but its joined stronger than the seat attached to the backplate :( so going to stay.

CLjT32f.jpg

Good news is it fitted without to much hassle. The pit is a little tighter than the PR, but the PR was a little loose so I can only figure the pits got swapped between models (Mk.II in Mk.IX and visa versa).

OsgMMaR.jpg

M7xLI8T.jpg

Wings fit pretty good also but I do have a step at the front if I locate the rear portion in first or no step if I start at the front but a gap at the rear wing fuselage. I think I need a trim of the rear joint to balance it out. I believe this is down to the cut at the firewall as its only 1mm max and I may have took just enough material away cleaning up to make this difference. This fuselage is the one with the step cut. Next pic is the original cutting process.

l2Kxj9f.jpg?1

ve3C1T8.jpg

22 hours ago, Fanes said:

You might consider leaving the flare rack off. As far as I know it wasn't used on Mk. V Spits.

The flare rack was first used on MkIs / IIs with metal seats. It was used on MkVs as well as

most wartime Mks. It could also be removed.

http://spitfiresite.com/2010/07/anatomy-of-spitfire-cockpit.html

10 minutes ago, MikeMaben said:

The flare rack was first used on MkIs / IIs with metal seats. It was used on MkVs as well as

most wartime Mks. It could also be removed.

http://spitfiresite.com/2010/07/anatomy-of-spitfire-cockpit.html

Phew, that's a relief! Thanks Mike. I have an never ending battle with getting things right, but also not getting bogged down with everything exactly correct. if I end up with the last part I'd never get anything finished.

Oh that reminds me to FINISH the PR one!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Update time. PR Spit is awaiting a new centre canopy! The current one was a bit of a mess to be honest but the deal was made when I managed to drop it on the floor and the 2 vac bubbles went their separate ways. One was found within 10 mins but the other is still MIA.

I re-ordered another canopy from GMF but also chased up Alley Cat for my missing PE and front canopy in resin. Upshot of this conversation was he has a complete vacform centre with bubbles and it should be on its was to me to test. Fingers crossed it arrives in the next few days!

I have done some more weathering on it adding the fuel spills and a general filter (this is when I lost the bits)!

5fd1WaZ.jpg

Vc is getting to paint also. Been adding the odds and ends and securing the canopy (such a nice job after all the hassle with the vac one on the PR)

FDJ5AX8.jpg

UzIIvSs.jpg

zyuXHwO.jpg?1

Aaron

Edited by Wackyracer

• 2 weeks later...