PR.XI & Mk.Vc - Revell Mk.IXc & Mk.IIa kits

Wackyracer

And as this is a 2 bird build started on the Vc Trop.

Cut the upper bumps off and inserted the Real Model ones. Also adjusted and fitted the master barrels and caps. Such a difference.

Spare Hasegawa trop filter was tested. Pretty much perfect fit.

Also had a little dry fit to check everything over. Will need a little fettle along the wing roots, but the may disappear when I install the cockpit. 

mcoLjUZ.jpg

H5LIGg0.jpg

rgXNmSy.jpg

MKD0Te5.jpg

HNZMYPb.jpg

qTBKeec.jpg

WemPOdo.jpg

P1AOvq4.jpg

Aaron

PRU Blue, after much more sanding, polishing and refining finally time for some paint!

Used white and buff through a texture mask and also some brillo pad to get some texture under the surface.

Mf0fp5n.jpg

yk5o8ch.jpg

As with most cameras and the associated jpeg files its difficult to see the variation, but in real life its there abet subtle 

5aNGmvz.jpg

mZiDkgh.jpg?1

b1SaiKF.jpg

2SKUEzg.jpg

FMaM383.jpg

Did some more work on the paintwork yesterday but not enough to make a picture worthwhile.

Instead did the Eduard exhausts following Thunnus excellent walkthrough on his 109K-4 build. 

X1 then Alclad dark aluminium

ydjYXc9.jpg

bbmpOqk.jpg

Tamiya red/brown with a sponge

cES4Yhj.jpg

TODwPLK.jpg

Various pigments, rust, soot, and a grey/brown

Dc4Svzc.jpg

Finally a matt varnish with a tiny drop of light grey

aZy4nzc.jpg

Then used the same mix to trace in the exhaust staining

xbUivDD.jpg

Qtr6zB6.jpg

az0bT01.jpg

Aaron

Tail painted

marlZRW.jpg

Exhausts installed

LO5DFSv.jpg

puyzCru.jpg

Un-masked the glazing and added the bulges to the canopy. Unfortunately the vac parts are very grainy and cloudy despite much cleaning and polishing. If anyone has some suggestions to clean them up I'm all ears.

Also the pics are x2 magnification on from my phone so exaggerates every blemish.

rR4porX.jpg

ABrhRoV.jpg

wK0xEu6.jpg

Aaron

Can I ask about headrests?

Your Spit hasn't got one, photo's of currently flying Spit's don't have one. The part is in kits and conversions

Did WW2 Spits have a headrest which has been removed for modern pilots because they wear helmets?

Richard

If I can butt in here. I was interested myself so looked up as many photos as I could. It seems like early spits ie I & II had a headrest, Mk V's could be either (RAAF Mk Vc's didn't) and Mk IX's on didn't. I guess it's the same old story, try and find a photo of the plane you are modelling and go from there. Don't have any photos of PR Spits so can't comment on those.

TRF

59 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Can I ask about headrests?

Your Spit hasn't got one, photo's of currently flying Spit's don't have one. The part is in kits and conversions

Did WW2 Spits have a headrest which has been removed for modern pilots because they wear helmets?

Richard

If I may quote Mr. Spitfire (Edgar Brooks):

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/21579-pcm-spit-mk-ix/page/7/&tab=comments#comment-173440

1 hour ago, fastterry said:

If I can butt in here. I was interested myself so looked up as many photos as I could. It seems like early spits ie I & II had a headrest, Mk V's could be either (RAAF Mk Vc's didn't) and Mk IX's on didn't. I guess it's the same old story, try and find a photo of the plane you are modelling and go from there. Don't have any photos of PR Spits so can't comment on those.

TRF

1 hour ago, Fanes said:

Excellent stuff, thank you

Richard