PR.XI & Mk.Vc - Revell Mk.IXc & Mk.IIa kits

Wackyracer

After the pink panther I found this bird in the same book

YFoJFEf.jpg

This set a flame to model it as the image is in colour and I have done a PRU blue bird yet.

Having secured 2 more Revell IXc boxings I pulled one out and set about working out the best way forward.

8UL2wxG.jpg

NR8vvbg.jpg

6mN6S74.jpg

KokcAQR.jpg

Aiy086P.jpg

rFOJdEp.jpg

I then turned to our forums for more inspiration and help and discovered this thread and comments.

Has anyone tried the Alleycat Spitfire PR.XI conversion??

On 12/15/2018 at 8:13 AM, thierry laurent said:

I used the Revell kit. Actually a mix of the Mk. II and IX kits to get wings without gun bumps whereas the leftover parts will be used for a Mk. XI. However this is not a smooth ride. The windshield and the rear wheel fuselage sections ask for a lot of work. This allowed me to use the Brassin pit. Even if the conversion is comprehensive, one thing that Alleycat forgot is the three oxygen bottles located horizontally behind the seat. 

On 12/15/2018 at 7:31 AM, MikeC said:

I've got one, I'm planning to see whether it will fit the Revell IX rather than the Tamiya: a very quick and rough match-up of the parts - lower cowling in particular - shows it should be possible.  We shall see.

On 12/15/2018 at 9:35 AM, MikeC said:

That's exactly my plan: use the leftover c wing uppers to mix-and-match to make a Vc as well as an XI.  Thanks for the heads-up on the potential problem areas.

So now ordered said set from AlleyCat and awaiting its arrival, but also dug out a Revell Mk.IIa kit as well on MikeC thoughts. 

Now I really enjoy birds with unusual camo and markings so a Vc from Malta is a perfect buddy for the PR.

Now to the scary bits...

The Grey Matters wrap round canopy doesn't touch the sides in the IX fuselage, not even close, BUT its much closer in the Mk.IIa fuselage as this has the earlier more rounded screen.

The Mk.Vc spits only had the later canopy so a perfect swap of fuselages EXCEPT they are different length due to the changes in engines, but are the same profile from the engine firewalls back.

Deep breath and Razor saw out...

Side by side

PJn4Ked.jpg?1

jlK3ZkF.jpg?1

First cut is the deepest

l2Kxj9f.jpg?1

479XLMP.jpg?1

PSA1Z93.jpg

Pretty chuffed with outcome.

Just need to find a juicy Malta scheme for the Vc now.

BTW the wings mixed up are a perfect fit, so other than a little rescribing for the PR non gunned wing and drilling the cannon ports on the Mk.II lower section we are looking good.

Edited by Wackyracer
tag edit

17 minutes ago, mpk said:

Great subject. I am currently reading SAS Shadow raiders by Damien Lewis. PRU Spitfires feature highly. 

Good luck with it. :)

I'll have to download that one to my audible account. Thanks for the heads up. Read/listened to several of his books and all very good.

4 minutes ago, Fanes said:

Taking a front row seat since I plan to do a PR XI and Vc, too!

Thanks. The 2 revell kits are a great combo for such a build. The engine swapping was actually very straightforward. I didn't show it in the pics but the other halves I just cut straight down not a little step. Much easier to do and join back together.

Afternoon at the bench...

Test fit of Barracuda cockpit upgrade set and Aries pilot figure. Both appear to fit well

X6fTdNB.jpg

Fs7mfIf.jpg

Made both sets of wings and quick test fit. No problems here or with the Vc

jzFnvz5.jpg

UH9qg5m.jpg

5xDDGOp.jpg

Got some nice plans from top drawings.

8378J21.jpg

These have the panels for a non armed/winged fuel tanks layout. Also show the new radio or access hatch I need to scribe onto the other side (top right on image)

opAF77g.jpg

R47hlXJ.jpg

Vac canopy test fitting. Will make the framework from thin fine plastic strip I think.

vi1J8VV.jpg

ZfsFgec.jpg

Only had a couple of hours on the bench yesterday so added a few more bits to the sidewalls of the pit.

Cza55lR.jpg

X3tlM2a.jpg

Now I have a question for the experts... Was there an additional switch/button for the camera release the pilot used or was it swapped with the gun button on the control stick given these carried no armament?

Aaron 

The PR XI cockpit had various differences.

Out if my memory:

- on, under and over the IP (where the gunsight was on fighters)

- on the starboard side of the pit (2 additional bezels close to the windscreen and the camera box on the bottom, close to the IP bulkhead)

- on the port side (most items were removed and the belly camera shutter lever and its cable as well as some brackets were added) 

- behind the seat (3 oxygen bottles)

If you wait a little bit I can post pictures of my kit pit. All modifications have been done except the three oxygen bottles behind the seat. I still have to do that. 

Hth

Thierry