Gloster Gladiator.....finished :)

mozart

Thanks for your reply and those links Mike, very useful indeed.  I'm working on the IP right now (tea break!!), the dials used are approximations I'm afraid but in this case good enough!

Thanks Quang, good to know.  The purpose of those two levers don't affect the model as such but it's always helpful to have as much knowledge and understanding of what you're building in my opinion. 

Edited by mozart

Lots of bits and pieces to do in the cockpit area before the fuselage halves can be joined.  One thing that has had me slightly puzzled is how far in the machine guns go but this afternoon a "penny dropping" moment!  There's a small "flange" on the outer face of the m/g which locates into a slot on the fuselage....sorted!  There's no positive "click" which lets you know the two parts are mated, so I just put in a light pencil mark as a guide:

Eo6gdx.jpg

Another time consuming part is the IP.....finally done using Airscale dials, and here waiting for the Krystal Klear to dry completely:

gHvsaQ.jpg

And also finished is Sgt Smith:

IA4a6J.jpg

Just a small (literally) matter of giving him some Sutton seat belts now:

ZEEvaA.jpg

But his "office" is finally coming on:

SaOM9F.jpg

24 minutes ago, Bruce_Crosby said:

Hi Max,

Are you bringing the model along on Thursday evening so we can have a good look at it?  

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

Sadly I can't make it Bruce (out with friends for dinner) but I'll bring it along in January......it may even be finished by then!! 

Getting all the parts ready for closing up:

lr2lk2.jpg

Sutton harnesses being prepared:

MWrss5.jpg

Test fit to make sure Sgt Smith is going to fit:

eN0Ity.jpg

hdQ3vu.jpg

Sutton harnesses fitted (I've left off the PE attachment fixings since they won't be visible) and drying:

yR1T5y.jpg
ofotGE.jpg

Off now to finish off fitting Smith then closing up, followed immediately by locating the fuselage into the lower wing.  More later I hope!!

And before you know it, she has wings!  The joining of halves and wings went as seamlessly as I'd expected, a light swipe with a sanding stick will clean it up with no need for filler.

5NNoH8.jpg

TE7wPA.jpg

I love the way ICM have thought out a realistic rudder hinge mechanism, here inserted into the tail fin.  Like the elevators there's a substantial tab for location, but again I want my rudder slightly offset so I've started trimming off the tab:

MLYmZn.jpg

You'll notice two aerial masts, one will be cut off depending on your references or preferred colour scheme.  My 56 squadron plane has the fin-mounted mast so the rudder one goes!

JXSLd1.jpg

Might just get a coat of primer on next after the seam clean up.

1 hour ago, quang said:

Great progress, Max. You’re really trailblazing for those who follow. :bow:

Thanks Quang, luckily I have a whole day (and evening!) of bench time today!  I hope you're going to build one, she'd look great in Belgian colours! :)

XYaxRl.jpg

Edited by mozart

22 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Yes indeed, great progress Max. I doubt anyone will have any fear of building an ICM Gladdie after your thread!    Looking forward to more. 

I have it in mind to build another two Brian to make up a larger diorama than the one I originally intended.  It would be "Blue section" of "B" Flight 56 squadron, with the pilots standing around chatting, part from poor old Smith of course!  There's certainly no fear in this kit. :D