Gloster Gladiator.....finished :)

mozart

36 minutes ago, monthebiff said:

Looking forward to seeing this come together as you pave the way on this build Max. Nothing like getting a brand new kit in your hands, clearingbthe benchband cracking on with it!!

Regards. Andy 

If you can do it with the Henschel Andy, I reckon I can crack on with the Gladiator! :coolio:

I have cracked mine off the sprues tonight too. This is truly astonishing for the money. The molding is exquisite and the main parts fit well. The fuselage has a few locator pins, but I guess the internals will hold it together. The fuselage and wings are eggshell thin.... we are truly spoiled.

You’re right Dave, the wings are incredibly thin, the trailing edges of the lower wing when glued together are as sharp as a knife. The ailerons locate so well, absolutely perfectly aligned. I’m looking forward to moving this build on. One small point that really pleases me is that the prop can be finished either with out without the spinner......it looks so pugnacious without! 

5 hours ago, Uncarina said:

Max,

A brilliant start and great introduction to building this handsome aircraft! I am finding it increasingly hard to wait for the Mk.II!

Cheers,  Tom

Just do it Tom, you know you want to!!  I agree the Gladiator is a handsome aircraft but what really surprised me, having been working on a Fw44 Stieglitz for nearly 12 months, was just how big, perhaps "chunky" is a better word, it is.  I'm really, really impressed with the kit so far!

Goodness me, I’m even thinking about the Gladiator in my sleep! Had the thought in the middle of the night that I could probably use the brass .303 gun barrels that I have ready for my Lancaster build on the Gladiator, especially on the underwing positions. Must go and check those out! :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, mozart said:

Goodness me, I’m even thinking about the Gladiator in my sleep! Had the thought in the middle of the night that I could probably use the brass .303 gun barrels that I have ready for my Lancaster build on the Gladiator, especially on the underwing positions. Must go and check those out! :rolleyes:

If she follows you in your sleep you should consider a name change, "Max Gladiator" rather than "Max Mozart" :D

I indeed enjoy your progress, makes me want to get one myself even it's not my time frame.

Lothar

24 minutes ago, Lothar said:

If she follows you in your sleep you should consider a name change, "Max Gladiator" rather than "Max Mozart" :D

I indeed enjoy your progress, makes me want to get one myself even it's not my time frame.

Lothar

Sad isn't it Lothar!!

So I'm looking to get the cockpit sorted today and got rather confused with the IP supplied comparing it with Duxford's Gladiator.  But all became clear, Mk1 and Mk 2, so ICM's IP is correct (phew :unsure:) and according to IPMS Stockholm's photograph of a Finnish Gladiator the IP should be wooden:

z7EmfR.png
55HpM8.jpg

The wheels are ready for painting, and P/O Blandishly-Pipeman is getting rather impatient to get going!

8KZNCD.jpg

Definitely going to use the brass barrels:

blBMOL.jpg
rNh41Z.jpg