Gloster Gladiator.....finished :)

mozart

12 minutes ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Agree with Alain, love the markings.

Another masterpiece in the making here Max, great job!

Thanks Anthony! I need to get in plenty of practice with the checkers because I also have a 56 squadron Bulldog, Siskin and, a bit more modern, Lightning to do......not to mention the Hunter which is nearing completion! 

Absolutely Max! To be fair, they reappeared after the war and the Lightnings (amongst others) kept that tradition alive in spectacular fashion. Funny you post exactly this as I am writing!

I would love to see an airshow with the type of demonstrations that were common  then, like the planes  tied together in formation!

I hope you get to that Lightning in the cold war GB

Edited by Alain Gadbois

27 minutes ago, Alain Gadbois said:

Absolutely Max! To be fair, they reappeared after the war and the Lightnings (amongst others) kept that tradition alive in spectacular fashion. Funny you post exactly this as I am writing!

I would love to see an airshow with the type of demonstrations that were common  then, like the planes  tied together in formation!

I hope you get to that Lightning in the cold war GB

It’s scheduled for the Cold War GB Alain, an Echelon vacform kit. It’s an F6 so not with the really striking Firebirds scheme, but effective enough. Funnily enough my Silver Wings Tiger Moth (when I build it, and a very reliable source tells me production starts in January) will also have 56 squadron red and white checkers too.....quite legitimately so! 

24 minutes ago, quang said:

Great checkers, Max. I've seen them on Bulldogs but never on Gladiators. Do they have them also on the fuselage?

Well this is a bit of supposition on my behalf Quang since it appears there are no 56 squadron pictures of Gladiators around showing they did have them, but their Gauntlets did, so why not their Gladiators? And yes, they will be on the fuselage too. 

Edited by mozart

5 hours ago, mozart said:

Well this is a bit of supposition on my behalf Quang since it appears there are no 56 squadron pictures of Gladiators around showing they did have them, but their Gauntlets did, so why not their Gladiators? And yes, they will be on the fuselage too. 

It's quite probable that they did originally have pre-war markings like that when they were first issued to squadrons.  It's only around the time of the Munich Crisis that existing equipment was painted in camoflage.  This was described briefly in Stanford Tuck's book, "Fly for Your Life".

Nice work so far, too. :goodjob:

Cheers,

Michael

1 hour ago, mozart said:
1 hour ago, mozart said:

A summary of not-a-lot of progress over the Christmas period:

Feeling your pain Max, had very  little time over the Christmas period for modelling and when I have it's not gone fully to plan which has been really annoying. I think we are both in builds that have literary flown together as well has having plenty of bench time to go with it and then you loose the momentum.

Regards. Andy 

Thank you all for your sympathy for my incompetency, but as often happens there's a little serendipity arising from the reworking, for K7989 is now going to be K8000!  The only picture that I've seen of a 56 squadron Gladiator is K7989 but since I'm taking liberties, albeit distinctly possible liberties, with the markings I had thought from the outset that perhaps an "unknown" was more suited.  So she's still a 56 squadron bird, but nobody can point to a picture and say "Well I can't see any checkers."  Artwork is nearly done, so cleaning up the offending paintwork shortly then correcting.