Gloster Gladiator.....finished :)

mozart

Who knows? After I’d taken that shot and looked at more photos I saw silver on the cockpit floor and lower sides so I changed it, but you pays your money and makes your choice I reckon. You can’t see diddly anyway once assembled!:wacko:

2 hours ago, mozart said:

Who knows? After I’d taken that shot and looked at more photos I saw silver on the cockpit floor and lower sides so I changed it, but you pays your money and makes your choice I reckon. You can’t see diddly anyway once assembled!:wacko:

l was going by other photos of other aircraft of the late 30s like the Hawker Fury etc they they seem to have a mix bag of green and aluminum 

Hacker

The beauty in the between-the-wars period is that there were not yet strict regulations concerning aeroplane construction. Technology was evolving from wood and cloth towards metal; biplane towards monoplane, etc. More often than not mixed materials were used: wood, metal, plastic/bakelite, leather, canvas... The modeller has many finishing options to choose from.

As for me, I chose to paint the upper-side of the cockpit in grey-green and the rest, including the skeleton frame in aluminium. I like the contrast and how it makes the cockpit looks busy.

3-B85-A0-A5-5-B9-D-4621-8-A12-BA591-E88-

Edited by quang

On 1/19/2020 at 4:20 AM, quang said:

The beauty in the between-the-wars period is that there were not yet strict regulations concerning aeroplane construction. Technology was evolving from wood and cloth towards metal; biplane towards monoplane, etc. More often than not mixed materials were used: wood, metal, plastic/bakelite, leather, canvas... The modeller has many finishing options to choose from.

As for me, I chose to paint the upper-side of the cockpit in grey-green and the rest, including the skeleton frame in aluminium. I like the contrast and how it makes the cockpit looks busy.

3-B85-A0-A5-5-B9-D-4621-8-A12-BA591-E88-

Some l have seen the lower part was painted black on the top and green above the floor with aluminum framing

Hacker

26 minutes ago, Alain Gadbois said:

Beautiful model Max, well done in every manner. And your pilot figure is very nicely painted too! 

Alain

Thanks Alain, I feel as if my figure painting skills are just about adequate but I seriously think I have a lot more to learn.  I'm developing my own technique, having become quite confused from looking at how others paint theirs, and it's working but needs refinement.  I've been looking for a decent figure for my next build which will be in the Cold War Jets GB starting in March, a 1960/70s style RAF pilot, but I can't find one so I'm considering sculpting my own.

0goOe7.jpg

18 minutes ago, DrDave said:

The mastercasters one is a standing 80 s one that Derek Bradshaw did IIRC

Hmmmm.....I’ve got a Mastercasters figure but the moulding is so soft and imprecise so I don’t think I’ll be ordering this one. I also like the challenge of doing my own, always fancied a go at sculpting a figure! 

Edited by mozart