HH-60G Pavehawk Kitty Hawk 1/35 DONE!!

Pete Fleischmann

On 6/4/2020 at 10:11 AM, ade rowlands said:

Hey Pete, how many applications of that filler did it take? I’m thinking of filling the rivet holes in my Tamiya Mustang wings and this stuff looks promising. 

typically 2 applications. The excess comes off very cleanly with alcohol.

cheers

Pete

On 6/3/2020 at 10:46 PM, Wolf Buddee said:

Peter,

Spectacular work! I can’t think of anything more to say. I’m completely envious of your talent..........:bow:

Cheers,

Wolf

Brother Wolf!

a kind word from someone as talented...gifted even, as you are is a real shot in the arm my friend!

cheers

Pete

1 hour ago, shark64 said:

Are you going to rivet the whole kit with archer rivets?

That is my crazy plan-

I’ve already started...

Woody was kind enough to make me an A4 sized sheet of rivets years ago when I was planning this build with the Academy kit. I must have measured the rivets on the real thing pretty accurately, because Woodys custom rivets are spot-on. He also helped me understand that the rivet spacing is center to center of the rivets; not edge to edge.

I’ll also use some of his other sheets for some rivet rows that have different spacing. If you print out his catalog, it has accurately sized images of his sheets that you can compare to your model.

good stuff.

cheers

Pete

Hey all-

not much to show..still riveting along, but I needed to pull the tail wheel assembly together before I close up the fuselage.

many Pavehawks have wheel and strut parts painted in the standard Army helo drab- an interesting contrast against the USAF Gunship grey- This part not done, but close!

the wheel is an aftermarket from Resicast-

cheers

Pete

ASxPzIb.jpg

Edited by Pete Fleischmann

Hey all,

got the fuselage halves together. I debated riveting the fuselage halves before joining them, and glad that I didn’t. I had to somewhat man handle the two halves to get them joined up- clamps...all that.. and I don’t think the rivets would have faired well under such abuse. I also had some spots that required filler- not too bad. Filling and sanding around rivets would have been a challenge..so I made a rare good decision!

My go to filler has become JB Weld. It sands beautifully, doesn’t shrink, and scribes well. Good stuff. Another awesome trick that I stole from Timmy!

I started my rivets on the bottom sides of the tail planes- so far it’s going well!

I decided to pop the crew chiefs head off so I can rivet and paint the fuselage behind where his head will be. Looks funny right now-

the big gaping hole on the aft left belly is the female receiver for the in flight stand.

zpud0hH.jpg 

Cheers

Pete

I've heard that's the main complaint from those that have built the model. The fit is so tight and hard to come together. The outside of the cabin walls will need to be sanded in order for the halves to fit together better.

Tim

2 hours ago, Hawkwrench said:

I've heard that's the main complaint from those that have built the model. The fit is so tight and hard to come together. The outside of the cabin walls will need to be sanded in order for the halves to fit together better.

Tim

Yep-

did all that..but was still tight.

all worked out in the end!

cheers

Pete