Beaufighter patterns...

Derek B

I'd be happy with either, though a full interior would be pretty nice--you can see quite a bit through the front office.

Tim W.

That is one of my concerns Tim, and the reason I originally went for a full interior. I shall have another look to see what I really can see then dicide for certain.

Derek.

I USE TO have the same kit, but traded it last year. So new repop would be great. Maybe adding the torpedo as another option with mounting points and such............Harv

Harv (and Brian), my TF.X will have a torpedo (and dorsal fin extension) as part of the conversion set.

Derek

Now you say! My fuselage is long closed. But good to see you getting on with it.

Cees

Your work is excellent Cees and is probably one of the chief reasons (inspirations?) for my guilt complex! :lol:

Derek

I needed to reorganise my stash before I continued (not that you can really tell).

Stash1_zps2ef827f0.jpg

Stash_zps520054b9.jpg

I never really did work out how long the kit actually is. I guessed that if there were any differences that it would most likely be with the props, spinners or engine nacelles and not the fuselage (although it would be nice to know the length of that alone!).

Beaulength9_zpsfaa58805.jpg

I used the Putnam book 'Bristol aircraft' for the OAL dimensions.

Beaulength1_zps19501dee.jpg

The model (with spinners) has an OAL of 400.5mm.

Beaulength7_zpsd62a60e9.jpg

Beaulength11_zpse749649f.jpg

Without spinners, the model OAL is 397mm.

Beaulength13_zps64c018e5.jpg

According to the book, the Beaufighter I, VI, XI and 22 has an OAL of 41ft 4", which translated to 1/32 scale is 393.7mm, so the kit (with spinners) is too long by +6.8mm. Without spinners, the kit is +3.3mm too long.

Similar measurements for the Beaufighter II is a full size OAL of 42ft 9", which equated to 407.33mm in 1/32 scale. With spinners, the kit is -6.83mm under size in length, and without spinners, it is-10.33mm.

For the Beaufighter X, it has an OAL of 42ft 6", which is 404.81mm in 1/32. With spinners, the kit is -4.31mm too short in length, and without spinners, it is -7.81mm too short.

Beaulength_zpse1e10c99.jpg

Just looking at the engine and prop, it appeared that there was an excessive gap between the propeller and cowl lip. This measures approximately 4mm. I guess that this figure could be halved to 2mm which would improve the appearance and bring it very close to the correct OAL for the Beaufighter I, VI, XI and 22 without spinners.

I didn't measure the span, but it seems that the kit is pretty accurate overall in overall dimensions (for the Beaufighter If)and the differences are mostly to do with the props and engine/cowl/nacelle as I had suspected.

Nome of this has anything whatsoever to do with my conversion parts - I was just curious (this is the level of detail research I do routinely for all of my projects).

Derek

Edited by Derek B

I remember back in the 80's at R.A.F. Scampton relieving you of a few of your kits, a 1/48 ID vacform Lightning  amongst them, with your views that it was too narrow in the fuselage width. I still have it and you were right.

I bet you wont be parting with any of your current stash anytime soon.

On a more serious note, what timescale do you hope to have the Beau parts ready for casting?

Bob.

I remember back in the 80's at R.A.F. Scampton relieving you of a few of your kits, a 1/48 ID vacform Lightning  amongst them, with your views that it was too narrow in the fuselage width. I still have it and you were right.

I bet you wont be parting with any of your current stash anytime soon.

On a more serious note, what timescale do you hope to have the Beau parts ready for casting?

Bob.

Hi Bob,

Always a delight to hear from you. I forgot about that kit (the Matchbox 1/72 EE Lightning, although accurate in shape, also duffers from the same problem).

I am determined that I will have some Beau bits out this year, but I cannot predict which sets and when.

Best regards

Derek

• 3 weeks later...

... I am determined that I will have some Beau bits out this year, but I cannot predict which sets and when ...

Hiya Derek ...

Just got around to reading your postings here since early February ... I can think of 450+ people  :innocent: somewhere out there in the "big wide" who will be extremely happy to hear this news :D ;) ... and that they've contributed to something more than "just an idea" .... oh and I couldn't help but wonder when seeing RoG's announcement of the "re-pop" if some kind of serendipity was happening here?!?! - 'Leish saw the RoG announcements for this years kits (little so-and-so twisted my rubber arm into buying her an Erla G-10!!) and noted the Beau - said it was "Providence" lol :D

Whatever you decide in terms of what AM is best or most expedient in the short term ... I'm sure if someone out there was planning a large Beau' it would have at least made the "whisper" columns by now ... Yes - I think AM is the way to go in the short term (baby steps!) ... but there is no reason why, if there is some degree of marketing success, that (providing no other manufacturer jumps on the opportunity in the medium term) it cannot be expanded into a full kit (aka HPH) in the longer term. Selling them as individual items ... and as a complete set gives people options also.

I can't help but offer my 2 cents (or pence!) in that I do recommend using resin cannopies :DodgeBall:  ... especially the gunners blister!! :D

I look forward to your work!!

Rog :)

My build is stalled ( never started yet except dry fitting parts and cleaning up attachment points to the sprue gates ) because Derek hasn't released anything for the internals yet and I dont want to scratch build all of it only to have a better aftermarket option become available from EMD.  I hope that sometime before I can no longer build models due to age/ infirmary or loss of mental health the product's come to market so that I can finally build my Beaufighter.  :rofl:

I'm just sayin..  :whistle:

Paul

PS:  Before anybody gets the wrong idea about above statement, I am pretty sure Derek knows I'm just joking with him.

My build is stalled ( never started yet except dry fitting parts and cleaning up attachment points to the sprue gates ) because Derek hasn't released anything for the internals yet and I dont want to scratch build all of it only to have a better aftermarket option become available from EMD.  I hope that sometime before I can no longer build models due to age/ infirmary or loss of mental health the product's come to market so that I can finally build my Beaufighter.  :rofl:

I'm just sayin..  :whistle:

Paul

PS:  Before anybody gets the wrong idea about above statement, I am pretty sure Derek knows I'm just joking with him.

Hi Paul,

Sorry to not get back to you - I have been away for half of the week on business...I'm with you on this one!  :D 

I am currently reassessing what I need to make, so I may end making some stuff out of order so that there will at least be some Beaufighter products out there whilst I am working on the more complex bits.

I shall post some pictures when I have the first bits ready.

Cheers

Derek