Beaufighter patterns...

Derek B

Does that mean I should keep my Beaufighter?

Hi Andrew,

I am only working on the Beaufighter patterns as and when I can in between other pattern work as time permits - Long and tortuous I know, but it means that it is progressing, sort of? :rolleyes: ;)

Cheers

Derek

• 8 months later...

Hello All,

The patterns for this beast have been sulking at me from the corner of my modelling room for sometime now. I have been in something of a quandry over this project for a while and it is stopping me progressing for the time being, so I may need your opinion? (I keep it out in plain sight so that it is a contant reminder for me to do something with it).

Revell are going to re-issue this kit again this year, which is good news. However, the amount of AM parts necessary to correct the kit and bring it up to the level of detail expected by todays fastidious modellers requires almost a complete kit, which is precisely my dilemma.

I am not aware of anyone at the moment intending to make a new kit of the Beaufighter (Wingscale intended to) and if I did go down this route I would have absolutely no idea how or who would make for me (it would be a full resin kit).

So, do I continue with the AM sets or go the whole hog and produce an accurate Beaufighter kit that would require no AM accessories?

Over to you...

Thanks

Derek

Revell are going to re-issue this kit again this year, which is good news. However, the amount of AM parts necessary to correct the kit and bring it up to the level of detail expected by todays fastidious modellers requires almost a complete kit, which is precisely my dilemma.

So, do I continue with the AM sets

I like the idea of the AM sets to facilitate various models of Beau.

I guess there is a temptation to resign older kits like this to the shelf-of-doom if a newer, more accurate,highly detailed one comes out.  Maybe there is a commericial imperitive that would dictate a solution to your dilema.

If it helps I'd go with the AM sets as for me the Revell kits still have value.

I've nearly finished a Tamiya Spitfire Mk9.  I certainly haven't done as good a job as can be done on such a kit but I confess to the build leaving me a little flat. Somehow I don't feel like I ought to be complaining but it went together so amazingly well I began wondering if its quality had sucked some of the fun out of it for me.  Maybe thats weird but I kind of like having to fiddle and tweak model kits to get them right.

I guess in that sense I see value in older less than perfect kits.  It gives scope for modifying or adding details and often you're not burning $100's per kit.  Some resin AM modules would be great.  I'm not sure that in modelling a kit needs to end up being a perfect scale replica...simply doing up the cockpit might be where one focuses in order to increase the fun/challenge.  As such maybe no need to correct everything.

Surely its one of those its in the climb to the top that the fun is really had, rather than the view at the top.  I guess thats why some get a helo to the summit and others prefer to grind it out by walking/climbing.

I think I know what I mostly prefer

HTH Matty

AM, if you look at Ericg's Mirage build aside from the shell it is all am, and what a fantastic end result. Though there is rumour of a new tool Mirage III, there is the chance the am will work with that, so if a new tool Beaufighter were to be released it wouldn't, hopefully, be a wasted exercise - I certainly won't be ditching my Paragon Mosquito goodies when the HK kit comes out in the hope they will fit and improve the kit. Plus if and when a new Beaufighter kit comes out you'll have a head start.

Oooh - that's a hard one to call Derek...

Having seen the patterns a while back - and having three Revell Beaus in the stash - I'd love an off the shelf detail set.

However - I've got enough on my plate anyway - and can't help thinking that someone like HK Models will be along with a new tool at some point.

How far off completion are your patterns?

If not too far off being ready I'd get them to market to tie in with Revell's release - then if a new kit is released (and that's got to be a couple of years off at least??) you'll have got something back for your investment so far?

Iain

Oh...and I have the P40 set you made Derek.  I seriously doubt HK/Wingscale whatever will ever make anything as finely sculpted and detailed as the work guys like you or Radu put out.

You guys are on a whole nuther ( Roy Sutherland) type level.

Matty

Matty, Andy, Iain and Tim,

Thank you for your input guys; it helps me a lot. I am wondering if I should continue with a full interior detail set - as originally intended - or cut it up into a forward and mid section instead?

Thanks

Derek

Derek,

I'd really just like a replacement cockpit and late tailplanes (with dihedral). I'd buy two sets of each right now if they were available.

As you say, to create everything to correct the kit would basically require a complete resin kit. IMHO, a full resin kit wouldn't be cost effective. Nor would a massive, expensive correction set. However, to just update the 'essentials' would be enough for me to go ahead and build mine. A cockpit set and late tailplanes might prove quite popular if timed with the kit's rerelease, too.

D

I would vote to release the sets now for the pit and tailplanes for the Revell.

As others have said, should a new injection moulded kit appear its quite possible you could adapt your set to fit it and folks will want it still.

Edited by petrov27

Hi Derek,

I agree with all of the above comments in so much that many of us have at least 1 (I have 2) in our "to do" pile. I also think you could possibly do a joint venture with Alistair of Alley Cat if you wish to pursue a complete resin kit and also use some of items to supplement the am crowd (similar to what Bob did with his Typhoon).

Which ever way you go I would buy at least 2 am sets and 1 complete resin kit (I did that with the Typhoon).

I hope you resurrect this project soon and I wish you well with it.

All the best,

Bob

Derek, I think you should stick with the AM, only just do the pit and midsection, not the whole interior. Tail plains and maybe something for the wheel wells.............Harv

Having pondered on this I'm with Harvey ('pit, midsection and something to dress up the gear bays - and - yes - I'd buy a set  :)

I have a post war Operation Firedog airframe bouncing around my brain...

A corrected gunners transparency would be useful too!

Iain

For me, the external shapes are far more important than sometimes unseen internals. The Revell Beaufighter is a starting point only, not much better than a vac form IMHO. It has to be taken to with a rough file and shapes fixed, some putty here and putty there, new canopies, virtually ever detail part replaced. So I would recommend a complete kit as the best option. But you need to be quick.... think HPH with the Me 410 and Hornet with a turnaround time of about six months.