Beaufighter patterns...

Derek B

Derek

WoW another fav of mine , the big beaufighter

Took afew pics at Duxford of there long term

Restoration bird , i was facinated ill can tell thee

Ian :0)))

I did likewise Ian (see the LSP Beaufighter walk around section). Your photograhs may well be more up to date than mine (did you go inside the aircraft?). It is pretty complex, but it will be worth the effort in the end.

Cheers

Derek

• 8 months later...

I'd be interested in knowing why that is, Derek...

Hi Thomas,

The heat and vacuum pressures associated with the vulcanising and curing process of the of the rubber moulds will damage, distort and collapse converted kit master pattern parts with any internal cavities.

Regards

Derek

Edited by Derek B

Derek,

when I used to have a Tiranti w/m casting machine, I used RTV rubber, which never got warm, so I could use "chewing gum and string" for masters, with no problems, but then the moulds were never thick enough to cause much heat and after vents and runners were cut they would cast w/m perfectly for at least a 100 cycles (motorcycles in my case!).

I suppose big blocks of silicon rubber do get a bit warm though.

BTW, did I discern furry-footed elves and gonks in the early pictures?

Are you a closet SF painter?<G>

Cheers,

Martin

BTW, did I discern furry-footed elves and gonks in the early pictures?

Are you a closet SF painter?<G>

Cheers,

Martin

Erm, that is a white metal WH 40K Space Marine Epistolary Librarian that I had modified...I do have a collection of WH Space Marines, Necron and Daemon Hunter figures and bits! (Don't know where it is now - I gave it to my son) :)

RTV (Room Tempreture Vulcanising) silicon rubber is the reason why you will not have any issues, however, for industrial use, it is not man enough and needs to man up a bit, hence the heat and vacuum requirement to make the rubber more durable (Believe me, I learned the hard way by using hollow master patterns).

Cheers

Derek

My son uses those GW figures to practice his painting, Derek. Very nicely moulded, most of them, too.

Not sure what you mean by industrial use of RTV. White metal casting is pretty industrial. I never used vacuum. Just brushed the rubber into all the nooks and crannies, then poured very slowly. Never had a bubble.

Whilst I have never made exactly hollow plastic masters, I have used curved surfaces in RTV moulds, but most of my masters were brass anyway, so plenty strong enough.

Martin

My son uses those GW figures to practice his painting, Derek. Very nicely moulded, most of them, too.

Not sure what you mean by industrial use of RTV. White metal casting is pretty industrial. I never used vacuum. Just brushed the rubber into all the nooks and crannies, then poured very slowly. Never had a bubble.

Whilst I have never made exactly hollow plastic masters, I have used curved surfaces in RTV moulds, but most of my masters were brass anyway, so plenty strong enough.

Martin

Grey Matter Figures cast my resin parts for me and they do not use RTV - They use a different type that needs to be heat cured (I do not know what type of rubber they use?).

If I ever get any spare time I'll try and and make some more GW figures some day.

Cheers

Derek

Heat cure? that sounds like normal vulcanised rubber, Derek. Odd, for resin casting.

We now use Griffin Moulds in Birmingham for our slot cars and even railway stuff and they've been giving us a great service, using metal powder-filled resin, which helps avoid shrinkage and gives a nice hard surface. PM me for details if you need them. they also have w/m casting to a high standard there.

Martin

Derek, still really hoping that you will get this detail set out to market at some point!

Cheers

Alan

Thanks Alan - Working on something at the moment.

Cheers

Derek

Heat cure? that sounds like normal vulcanised rubber, Derek. Odd, for resin casting.

We now use Griffin Moulds in Birmingham for our slot cars and even railway stuff and they've been giving us a great service, using metal powder-filled resin, which helps avoid shrinkage and gives a nice hard surface. PM me for details if you need them. they also have w/m casting to a high standard there.

Martin

Sounds good, thank you for the heads up Martin (You have good contacts).

Cheers

Derek

We all need to share good services, Derek.

This game is sometimes difficult enough and taking the "arts and mysteries" path helps nobody.

That's why I'm always happy to share methods, tricks, dodges with anyone who's interested....on the strict understanding that my way is the way that works for me, not the right way, which, more often than not, doesn't exist.

Indeed if anyone can do it better, quicker, please let me know how.

Cheers,

Martin

Guest andrewfl290

Thanks Alan - Working on something at the moment.

Cheers

Derek

Does that mean I should keep my Beaufighter?