The funny thing about 3d printing at home...

seiran01

Thanks guys,

yes, learning CAD is the only way to know you’re going to get the subject you want at the scale you want, if you either hate scratchbuilding or don’t want to wait in the hope someone will make it.

You learn many things along the way such as best practices for laying out the parts for printing. Case in point is the horizontal stabilizer that we pulled off the printer last night. It’s so long for the width/depth that the last inch and a half experienced a lot of “z wobble” that is more noticeable the closer you get to the tip. For those not familiar with the term, z wobble refers to the misalignment of print layers due to not having enough support structure or sometimes part of the printer assembly that needs to have screws tightened. Kind of amusing really to see in person, as the rest of the print is flawless. 

KQVz1Hs.jpg

OYZLtSH.jpg

8 hours ago, ringleheim said:

Yes!  I don't know how it can't be.

8 hours ago, ringleheim said:

Yes!  I don't know how it can't be.

It has been for a long time. Its been paying my salary for 20 years.....

7 hours ago, BaldEagle said:

Would my skills with Adobe Illustrator ever be useful in this area? I know I've exported to some CAD formats in the past.

Maybe. When I was a commercial illustrator I built a few 3-D illustrations with Strata 3D Pro by importing AI files. If you can find good cross section views of your subject and a CAD program that allows you import AI files it's just a matter of time before you're done. 

61499832.jpg

Hmm, you know, I hadn’t thought of taking it to the Nats, I may be able to do that! 

Failing all else you’ll see my radome, air scoop, exhausts and bomb bay fuel tank on Ernie’s RCAF Lancaster. He better have that damn thing finished by then  :D

9 hours ago, BaldEagle said:

Fascinating!

Would my skills with Adobe Illustrator ever be useful in this area? I know I've exported to some CAD formats in the past.

Tel

Your skills as a modeller will be more important, as you will have an appreciation of the third dimension. Some concepts will read across, but  they might also be a bit of a hinderence because some tools work in a similar  but different way, and you will get frustrated as things don't quite work the way you expect!! Study lots of tutorials, step by step, don't try modelling a Ferrari first, try a cup or craft knife. But stick at it, because when your first designed part appears from your 3d printer,, it will all be worth it!! And then a WHOLE NEW WORLD will appear before your eyes.... 

13 minutes ago, wunwinglow said:

Your skills as a modeller will be more important, as you will have an appreciation of the third dimension. Some concepts will read across, but  they might also be a bit of a hinderence because some tools work in a similar  but different way, and you will get frustrated as things don't quite work the way you expect!! Study lots of tutorials, step by step, don't try modelling a Ferrari first, try a cup or craft knife. But stick at it, because when your first designed part appears from your 3d printer,, it will all be worth it!! And then a WHOLE NEW WORLD will appear before your eyes.... 

+1. Couldn’t have said it better! 

4 hours ago, MARU5137 said:

Hello Mike..

ASTOUNDING  job..

:wow:

COOLEST thing ever. :goodjob: 

:clap2:

Are you going to take it Chattanooga  ipms   to  show the LSPers who are going...( you are going right ?). 

:whistle:

MARU, you are not coming over this side of the pond this year?  :o