New from Model Monkey: 1/32 Beaufighter cockpits, dihedral tailplanes and 1/24 Mustang upgrades

Model_Monkey

2 hours ago, seiran01 said:

Great to see the O2 bottles in 1/32 :D

Is there any reason you’ve not done the A-36/P-51 bomb racks in 32nd at the moment? I’d grab a set and know at least one more Modeller who’d probably buy a few sets.  Keep up the great releases!

Thanks, Mike!

Good news, 1/32 scale A/36 P-51 racks will be released soon.

Cheers!

Edited by Model_Monkey

The resolution is remarkable.

'This early type of rack is most typically seen on A-36A, P-51A, P-51B and P-51C (Mustang Mk.III) fighters.'

Does this mean you are working on a 1/24 P-51B/C conversion set?  If so, for which model, Airfix or Trumpeter?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

Edited by dodgem37

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your compliments!

Regarding a P-51B/C conversion set, I regret that there is no present plan to produce one in the near future.  The early rack design was originally intended for Peter Castle ("Airscale") for use on his amazing 1/18 scale P-51C "Hope's Lope", presently nearing completion. Peter graciously encouraged me to release the design in smaller scales for other modelers.  Thank you, Peter!

I'd like to offer a 1/24 scale P-51B/C conversion, or perhaps just a replacement fuselage.  But that is something to consider in the far future.  If I do proceed with that project, it is likely to be very expensive due to its size and may be cost-prohibitive for most modellers, which is why that project is not a priority.  I'm presently working through a considerable design queue that has me quite busy through 2021.  Present design work includes more for Revell's Beaufighter.  Fortunately, despite serious COVID 19-related supply disruptions, we are still open and working hard.

The next 1/24 scale design will be a cockpit for the classic Bandai N1K2-J Shiden Kai.  See: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/bandai-38522-interceptor-shiden-21-n1k2-j--1198187  That project is still in research.

The 1/32 scale A-36/P-51 racks will be test printed tomorrow or Monday.  I'll post photos when ready.

Thanks again!

Edited by Model_Monkey
Clarity.

'I'd like to offer a 1/24 scale P-51B/C conversion . . . .But that is something to consider in the far future.  The early rack design was originally intended for Peter Castle ("Airscale") for use on his amazing 1/18 scale P-51C "Hope's Lope", presently nearing completion. Peter graciously encouraged me to release the design in smaller scales for other modelers.'

So, you would you print someone else's renderings?  Either for production or as one-offs?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thanks Dennis and James!

4 hours ago, dodgem37 said:

'I'd like to offer a 1/24 scale P-51B/C conversion . . . .But that is something to consider in the far future.  The early rack design was originally intended for Peter Castle ("Airscale") for use on his amazing 1/18 scale P-51C "Hope's Lope", presently nearing completion. Peter graciously encouraged me to release the design in smaller scales for other modelers.'

So, you would you print someone else's renderings?  Either for production or as one-offs?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

The bombs racks are my design.  Peter paid for the research and design work.  The metal work and attention to detail on his 1/18 scale models is simply breathtaking.  And his Airscale photo-etch products and decal sets are thoroughly researched and brilliantly produced.  Highly recommended.

I regret to report printing designs by others is not a service I offer.  But for those seeking a 3D printing company to print your own designs, I recommend Collapse Industries of Florida (click here).  Owner is Kirk Kirkland.  Kirk owns several different kinds of printers, offers 3 tiers of printing services, and his rates are very reasonable.  He also sells and services an SLA 3D-printer called "Milkshake".  Kirk has been in business for several years.  Collapse Industries is best known to the the fantasy and gaming community.

For those interested in learning 3D design,  I recommend Autodesk Fusion 360 for software.  Fusion 360 is powerful.  A license for hobbyists and small businesses is obtainable from its maker, Autodesk, for free and there are loads of tutorials on Youtube.  Autodesk is best know for AutoCAD which has been around for a long time.

Edited by Model_Monkey
Updated.

Hi Ron,

The aft station is still in research.  There's still not enough information about the real station to be able to complete it.  The design for floor and the AI radar set is done.  There are several components to the radar set.  I've a good idea where in the station the various components go (all over the place).  What I don't know is how the equipment was fit to the aircraft (mounts etc.) or enough about the ammo bins' to design them, specifically about their feed chutes.

I'm still hopeful we'll get the information we need to complete the design sooner rather than later.

Here is an idea for you to make—

The Trumpeter 1/32 SBD-5 comes with the Yagi radar antenna under the wings, but lacks the radar set between the pilot and the gunner, which was typically provided on SBD-5’s. Instead, the kit includes the circular RDF gear as would be typical for earlier SBD’s, like the SBD-3. 
Surely, would be nice to have the radar set available, so we can build a correct SBD-5. 
Bill M.

Good news, early-style bomb racks for P-51 Mustangs and A-36 Apaches is now available in 1/32 scale for P-51A, P-51B, P-51C (Mustang Mk.III) fighters and A-36A attack aircraft.

Regarding the SBD-5 radar set, if good, authoritative references are available I will consider adding the set to the research and design queue.  Presently, the queue is full through 2021 so I would not be able to get to that project for quite a while.  But thanks, Bill, for the recommendation!

file.php?id=127203&mode=view

file.php?id=127204&mode=view

file.php?id=127205&mode=view

file.php?id=127206&mode=view

file.php?id=127208&mode=view

1 hour ago, Model_Monkey said:

Regarding the SBD-5 radar set, if good, authoritative references are available I will consider adding the set to the research and design queue.  Presently, the queue is full through 2021 so I would not be able to get to that project for quite a while.  But thanks, Bill, for the recommendation!

Well, I’ve waited quite a few years for the SBD-5 radar set— I can wait a few more.

Thanks!

Bill M.

Hey Bill, any idea where I can find photos or drawings of the Yagi radar setup in the cockpit? Been looking through the Detail and Scale book on the Dauntless and there's only a mention of it, no graphic. 

I have looked for info in the past on the SBD-5 Yagi radar but didn’t have much luck. I’m sure there are photos, plans and manuals out there. What I did find was that the 1/48 Accurate Miniatures SBD-5 Kit has the radar in its kit. Also, there are photos of a similar radar set up in a recovered SB2C at Naval Avistion Museum at Pensacola. It looks like the same unit. I wonder if there is an SBD-5 In Pensacola or the SBD-6 at the NASM that might still have it. It looks like a large black box, with a few knobs and a was viewing opening with a viewing slot and rubber visor where the gunner-operator could look into it. That is about all I can contribute on this.

Bill M.