a debate about the Fw 190A-4

Hacker

So l want to build a 190A-4. l have to routes to choose from. Get the PCM kit which is my first choice or find a Hasegawa A-5 and convert it. l have an article to just that. l have an old Revell F-8 in the stash but looking at it to see if l can use an existing kit in the stash. l like a challenge but that one maybe not an option. Having built two PCM Spitfires l know what getting into.

Ok floor is open lets here what you have to say

Hacker...just trying to live up the the rep

3 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

So to be clear , you're talking about the new(er) PCM A-1/2/3 kit with the A-4 conversion, right ?

yes. l just been exploring other possible ways of doing the aircraft with what l have in the stash but it seem more and more like l am going to purchase said kit

Hacker

Although the PCM kit not shake and bake it's not terribly difficult either.  Converting the Hasegawa A-5 to an A-4 entails shortening the fuselage, a fair amount of re-scribing and acquiring new wheels.  I think the PCM is the easiest route.

If you want an early A-4, the PCM kit is the best option. If you want a late A-4, it might be easier to use the Hasegawa A-5 plus the Montex conversion. Without the Montex conversion, it would be difficult to work the A-5 kit.

The PCM is a bit more work because of the short run nature, and for the later A-4 the splicing in the of the cooling flaps a bit of a pain, but would be a cheaper option than the Hasegawa A-5 + Montex conversion. For an early A-4, the PCM kit is a simple conversion with just a few bits of corrections. And the decals are awesome!

Ah you guys have little faith in the all knowing and all seeing Hacker. l have been known to taken a bad model from sow's ear to a silk purse ( and yes l had a beer lol)

No l am just exploring options and thinking out loud.

Hacker

I built my '190A-4 from the Hasegawa A-5 kit:

1072-1.jpg

It was easy:

True Details 'early' wheels (required for some A-5 and A-6 aircraft, too).

Fill the big hatch on the left side of the fuselage and scribe a new smaller one.

Lop off the nose following the panel lines along the sides and the wheel well part.

Lop off the forward edge of the upper gun cover to match (the hardest part, but still only took about 5 minutes).

The late A-4 had the same shuttered side vents as the A-5 & later, but side vents for the early A-4 can be found here:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/123233020543

Keep in mind that the side vent mod (if needed for your particular airplane) has to be cut out and replaced with an insert in the PCM kit, too.

The side hatch detail can be seen here: http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2004/11/stuff_eng_fw190_01.htm

Not a lot to it, really. No expensive Montex conversions required. No crappy PCM kit to struggle with. The Hasegawa '190A-5 was recently released, too, and can be found cheap (got my most recent '190A-5 from Free Time for about $40).

HTH,

D

Edited by D Bellis
Fixing links and images that should automatically parsed here in 2018...

I think categorizing the PCM kit as "crappy" is a little unfair.  It's not perfect but comes with a set of beautiful decals, some nice resin detail parts and color PE.  Any modeler with a few kits under his belt should have no problem producing a good looking model from this kit.

13 hours ago, D Bellis said:

I built my '190A-4 from the Hasegawa A-5 kit:

Not a lot to it, really. No expensive Montex conversions required. No crappy PCM kit to struggle with. The Hasegawa '190A-5 was recently released, too, and can be found cheap (got my most recent '190A-5 from Free Time for about $40).

HTH,

D

Well done. I don't know the Hasegawa kit, but I built the PCM one (first release) some time ago, and if I remember right, I had no big problems. So I wouldn't rate it crappy, but rather nice

Alex