New From Eduard - 1/32 Resin Dashboard & Seatbelt Combo.

STWilliams

That P-51 panel is definitely a step up from Eduard's standard pre-printed IPs to date, which I felt were a step down in quality from their original film instrument faces.

I'd like to see a side-by-side comparison review with the Yahu version before committing though

I admit I felt some buyer's remorse after acquiring the Eduard Interior set for the Revell Mustang so good is the detailing on the stock kit.

No more!

The Eduard is a definite plus to the kit as you can see in the comparison photos between the AM and the stock parts below.

B828_D6_B5_B3_CD_4_B79_8_FB9_99044_C58_B

8_BC16549_9_F85_4_FD6_9_D73_588_CE1_B19_

C5_BB5_C54_A46_D_48_E2_A9_DD_CB20_B9160_

But beware, I wouldn't call these add-on ‘pre-worked' because it cost me quite some effort to build them.

But boy, did I had a kick doing it !

HTH

Quang

Quang - definitely an upgrade and as you pointed out, you still had to put it together and there was still a fair bit of painting and detailing to do - really looks nice!  I think that is the nicest sidewall panel I've seen.

Nice job!!

Chris

I STILL Can't get over how you guys work with that small PE and don't get glue slopped all over the place or glue them to your fingers...........................beautiful workmanship,.......................... as hard as I try mine always, to me at least looks like a 6 week old puppy put it together..... :hmmm: :hmmm: :hmmm: :hmmm:

I have used my fair share of AM etch and IPs

BUT

I have to say they take the fun of modelling away for me. I use them because I am too lazy to put in the effort of painting the cockpit and just want to get the build moving. I remember, in the past, dry brushing switches and dials and being delighted with the result. Where did the fun go?

Well, I don't do contests so there's no ethical problem with me. My cockpit work is terrible, and after countless times and practice, they don't improve. A well done aftermarket instrument panel and a seat that I can usually make and paint OK is enough for me. Yahu/Eduard/Eduard....they're all huge improvements over what I can do, i'll buy. They won't take the fun out of model building for me, they'll definitely add to it.

Don

BUT

I have to say they take the fun of modelling away for me. I use them because I am too lazy to put in the effort of painting the cockpit and just want to get the build moving. I remember, in the past, dry brushing switches and dials and being delighted with the result. Where did the fun go?

I realized a long time ago that there are some things just not humanly possible to produce by hand, and photo-reduced dial faces and guages were one of them..

And yes, I do remember cutting and drilling out 20-piece instrument panels and 50-piece ejection seats, in 1/72 and 1/48 scales.

But if there's a technology that will produce a better level of realism that goes beyond what human skill can achieve, then I'll opt for that rather than sticking with more primitive craft skills. But everyone will have their own opinion on what level of end result they want and how they want to get there.

Edited by Chek

I'd need to see the instruments themselves.  Most of Eduard's painted and film instruments are a bunch of clock faces that look nothing like real aircraft instruments.  One of the attractions of the Yahu stuff is that the instrument faces are correct for the type.

Not to mention the YUGE price difference.  Yahu's stuff is a bargain, not something you can say about anything from Eduard IMHO.

I'd have to take issue with this. I find Eduards stuff FAR better value than Yahu, especially in BigEd form. Yahu offer just the dashboard. Nothing else. No switches, seat, side panels, radios, bulkheads, pedals, storage, etc, etc. And around £8 is not cheap just for an instrument panel, and I certainly don't assess them as a bargain. I see them as a little expensive for what they are. And as for Eduard's being "a bunch of clock faces that look nothing like real aircraft instruments"? I feel you are just being a bit silly. I've never heard of builds being downgraded or criticised because the dials were wrong.

BUT

Let's see it this way.

It's a sure fact that we will miss the old skill of dry brushing switches and dials (like we did for the old Monogram kits)

BUT

we're acquiring newer ones: working with new material like brass and steel, juggling with paint masks in lieu of decals, using hi-tech UV glues,...

And that wouldn't dispense us from the necessary step of shading and blending the metal parts with the plastic ones.

The thrill's still there but let's face it, it's a new world. 😜

Edited by quang

Let's see it this way.

It's a sure fact that we will miss the old skill of dry brushing switches and dials (like we did for the old Monogram kits)

BUT

we're acquiring newer ones: working with new material like brass and steel, juggling with paint masks in lieu of decals, using hi-tech UV glues,...

And that wouldn't dispense us from the necessary step of shading and blending the metal parts with the plastic ones.

The thrill's still there but let's face it, it's a new world.

Exactly, it's a case of having choice. You can still dry-brush away if you wish, or fold up bits of metal and superglue them onto your cockpit, or drop a Yahu dashboard in, or stick in an entirely new Aires, Cutting edge or MDC or Eduard cockpit, or just change the seat for a resin one, or fold up a PE seat, or pop in some HGW or Eduard seat-belts, or Barracuda side-panels, or a CMK joysticks, or a Quickboost cockpit door, or Airscale cockpit placard decals, or Master, Eduard or Gaspatch machine-guns for WWI planes. Then using Eduard masks to paint the canopy, inside & out, which has been pre-sanded with micro-mesh to remove the seam, polished with Tamiya polishing agent & dipped in Future, before being glued in place with special canopy glue. 

Pay your money, take your choice.

As for these new resin instrument panels from Eduard, i'd like to see from closer, but so far i think Yahu dashboards look better.

And regarding the PE eduard panels accuracy, i use them when i only have them at hand, but i usually prefer Aires PE + film.

I haven't seen the Yahu in the flesh but here's the Eduard P-51D IP compared to the real thing. You make your own judgment.

959_A15_DC_3_A0_A_4195_9_B22_3_D590_E162
3_B0_B1_E92_1433_4_E4_D_8_B3_E_C0_D64075

HTH
Q

Yahu, indeed the instruments are more accurate and crispy, not to say perfect :

12371da3d625778c5b1fd2e5cf9e5eaf.image.9

Edited by Zero77