The £5 Tiger Moth.

Phartycr0c

Another build for the 32 Sig / LSP table at Telford, RAF 100 theme. 

Realising the RAF 100 is not all about Fighters Bombers and fast jets, I recently picked this kit up for the princely sum of £5. The Matchbox, three colour plastic, 1971 boxing of the venerable Tiger Moth trainer.   

This aircraft was responsible for the initial training of most, if not all RAF and Commonwealth pilots from 1930 until replaced by the Chipmunk in the 1950's.therefore it is too important to be overlooked as an RAF asset.

The kit itself was in great shape and for something so old went together really well. The decals however were another story, the protective film had stuck firmly to the sheet and required peeling. fearful of tearing the markings (as there don't appear to be any aftermarket decals) using a kettle, I very very gently steamed it off. A small victory. The decals themselves were in reasonable shape and useable considering they are over 46 years old. 

Built OOB The kit, when completed, is a sturdy little thing however I decided the prop looked a little fragile so I applied my magnetic upgrade making it removable for transport. 

Rigging is EZ line although i did have a problem with one of the rigging spacers being out of alignment due to my glasses falling off just as i was attaching it. Anyhow I'm quite pleased with the outcome considering it was a very old, cheap and quick build ( around 5 days total). I didnt want to do too much to it as there are no spares to be had if I were to damage any of the parts, me not being a scratchbuilder and all.

Anyhow, on with the show. 

39808770915_6384b80504_b.jpgIMG_4993[1]

25832705587_e24eb2ac4d_b.jpgIMG_4987[1]

40661440942_477fd3c52a_b.jpgIMG_5015[1] 

39808775845_c591db259e_b.jpgIMG_4994[1] 

25832686397_974f563c8b_b.jpgIMG_5010[1]

25832682717_ae06c92c72_b.jpgIMG_5012[1] 

39808542255_67608607e2_b.jpgIMG_5014[1] 

25832687937_e68711f734_b.jpgIMG_5009[1]

Gotta love a Tiggie, and that looks really good.  OOB you say?  No mods at all in the cockpits?  Wow!  I'm now quite encouraged to get mine out of the loft and make a start.

You're right about the lack of aftermarket decals, but I think I can do the scheme I want to do with generics.  You're also right about the Tiger Moth's importance to the RAF. In fact, I'll take it one stage further and say (as I often do) that trainers are the most important type of aircraft: if there were no trainers, there'd be no aircrews for any other type of aircraft.

Great model. :goodjob:

OOB you say?  No mods at all in the cockpits?  

Thanks for the compliment Mike, You caught me  :oops:

No mods per se but I did replace the IP decals with Airscale items on account the originals all but disintegrated and I dropped the belts in as they were spare PE as the seats looked a little bare without.

Go grab your kit Its a lovely, uncomplicated and enjoyable build the parts go together really well with no fuss. Just the sort of thing to keep the mojo alive.

Richard

The Sig table is simply by open invite to LSP members.

We normally have a display theme for Telford (which this year is 100 years of RAF so aircraft operated by or associated with the RAF) but we are also displaying at the Shropshire IPMS show at the Cosford Museum site on 8th April. This is unthemed so to display your subject needs to be and aircraft over 1/32 scale (1/35 if its a jelly wobbler)   

If you wish to display some of your work just let us know and you'll be welcome to bring it along.   

It is a continual source of amazement to me that such a vital aircraft for the success of the Allies victory in WW2, since the vast majority of RAF, RAAF, RCAF and RNZAF pilots started their training in Tiger Moths, is only available in our scale via the venerable Revell kit.

It's a good basic canvas which can be improved enormously as Eric and Karl have shown on LSP, but you've demonstrated here that even OOB she looks lovely, a super job Pharty!

Max

It is a continual source of amazement to me that such a vital aircraft for the success of the Allies victory in WW2, since the vast majority of RAF, RAAF, RCAF and RNZAF pilots started their training in Tiger Moths, is only available in our scale via the venerable Revell kit.

It's the same in WW1. There's an opening for a good 1:32 Avro 504 or Curtiss Jenny

Richard

It's the same in WW1. There's an opening for a good 1:32 Avro 504 or Curtiss Jenny

Richard

Come on Sir Peter, you know you want to really ...

Thread creep, we're talking Tiger Moths here, not WW1!   :mental:  :hmmm:

Max

You've got me, bang to rights; 'tis but a small step from lamenting the lack of modern TMs to lamenting the lack of biplane trainers in general.  Particularly Tiger Moths.  To drag this back on topic, though, it's good to see what can be done with the old kit.