TF-104G and (R)F-104G Italeri 1/32 on their way...

timvkampen

Looking more and more at the TF-104s Ive always liked them, and always have been attracted to the JASDF ships, but reading what it might take to get decals since the kit is likely not going to come with them is a bit of a downer.

Im interested in doing something like 26-5001 with no intake warnings, but am not sure what all else it may take as far as Japanese stenciling. Does anyone know if the 5001 tail/squadron markings are available in decal form?  If not, Im hoping maybe to get an up-close/clear head on image of the tail markings, and maybe can reproduce via paint mask...........

a7ead259b185f7fb00ff50f80da74685--air-pl

Thanks chaps - I should have looked a little closer! It must be my failing eyesight particularly as I built the earlier G/S boxing!

Does anyone know/can confirm whether or not JASDF retrofitted Martin Baker seats to their '104s?

Regarding JASDF squadron markings, all I can find so far is the decals included with the 'old' Hasegawa JASDF boxing which does I believe include 207 Fighter Squadron as seen on 26-5001 - again I stand to be corrected.

Info/piccies wise, again I'm struggling to find comprehensive reference sources, but I do have a few KokuFans and the Warpaint on the '104 - can anyone help?

Best regards,

Steve S.

15 minutes ago, mgbgtv8steve said:

Thanks chaps - I should have looked a little closer! It must be my failing eyesight particularly as I built the earlier G/S boxing!

Does anyone know/can confirm whether or not JASDF retrofitted Martin Baker seats to their '104s?

Regarding JASDF squadron markings, all I can find so far is the decals included with the 'old' Hasegawa JASDF boxing which does I believe include 207 Fighter Squadron as seen on 26-5001 - again I stand to be corrected.

Info/piccies wise, again I'm struggling to find comprehensive reference sources, but I do have a few KokuFans and the Warpaint on the '104 - can anyone help?

Best regards,

Steve S.

Id be very interested in some Sq 207 markings or in general some JASDF F-104J/DJ markings or stencils. 

Does anyone know if the new TF-104 kit will include the tail-hook that seems to be seen on almost all the F-104J/DJs Ive seen?

4 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Does anyone know if the new TF-104 kit will include the tail-hook that seems to be seen on almost all the F-104J/DJs Ive seen?

Brian it would be very inaccurate and strange if the tailhook on the dual 104 would be missing......so i'm sure it'll have the tailhook, no worries.

On 4/21/2018 at 11:57 AM, Dave Williams said:

Wonder what the availability in the US will be since the US importer went away with the Hobbico bankruptcy.

FYI all, I just received a press release that MRC has become the US importer for Italeri once again. The F-104s are in this initial shipment and according to MRC, the shipment is all but sold out before containers arrive. ETA to MRC is the end of July and hobby stores around the country should see Italeri back on the shelves soon after.

7 hours ago, mgbgtv8steve said:

(...) Does anyone know/can confirm whether or not JASDF retrofitted Martin Baker seats to their '104s? (...)

Nyet, Japanese F-104J/DJ retained the Lockheed Banzai seats throughout their career.

Additional intel from the GRU archives:

The TF-104G boxing features two different nozzle types - " early closed" and "late open".

JASDF Kamikazippers were powered by a Ishikawajima-Harima built J79-IHI-11A turbojets featuring the "early" convergent/divergent nozzle design.

eOYdGI6.jpg

X0iqfWj.jpg

"Early closed":

ZXFGVhz.jpg

Much nicer than the original kit part: Eduard #632043, F-104 Exhaust Nozzle Early 

dxVWpw2.jpg

Edited by Ivan Ivanovich

The old Hasegawa kit did indeed have 207 Sq markings along with Marineflieger markings. I will say the colors of the JASDF tail flash look off, blue looks purple, white looks cream. stencils include intake, rescue and canopy control in Japanese, details very soft. Fast forward a few decades and same model, newer decals. Included are markings for 203SQ 2AW and 201SQ 2AW. This was a limited edition kit, instruction sheet says 2003, kit is 08138. Most stenciling   you can use the Italeri stuff as JASDF used English stenciling, I think Jennings was going to do major decals with the stenciling from the kit.

Don

1 hour ago, dmthamade said:

The old Hasegawa kit did indeed have 207 Sq markings along with Marineflieger markings. I will say the colors of the JASDF tail flash look off, blue looks purple, white looks cream. stencils include intake, rescue and canopy control in Japanese, details very soft. Fast forward a few decades and same model, newer decals. Included are markings for 203SQ 2AW and 201SQ 2AW. This was a limited edition kit, instruction sheet says 2003, kit is 08138. Most stenciling   you can use the Italeri stuff as JASDF used English stenciling, I think Jennings was going to do major decals with the stenciling from the kit.

Don

This is the 2003 Hasegawa kit.

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10030913

13 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

I’d love to see decals for this bird.

1458179.jpg

Not necessarily knowing that much about the rest of the scheme since I cant see stencil detail and what-not, it seems that one could be a good candidate for paint masks from what I see in the pic. 

Ok, I think I found my bird! It's really a near looking two seat D model, based at the AF testing center. F-104D, 57-1315.

I see that Victory Models has a decal set out for the single seat D model ship from the AFFTC, but not the two seater. I think getting the single seater decal set and then supplementing codes and what not for 57-1315 would work best since it comes with the AFFTC badges.

Here is the sheet:

https://www.victorymodels.com/products/victory-productions-1-32-f-104-starfighters-part-1-vpd32006

Anyone interested in splitting the cost of the sheet? I would only be interested in the applicable decals for the AFFTC ship.